Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo is removing wifi from ds and wii

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gobby View Post
    Nope sure can't, Cutting down the servers to the DS/Wii games themselves , if you read the articles
    Hm. Still not a big deal to be honest. I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and there's just not enough traffic. So, in turn, they're saving money. Which I fully support.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well its a good thing I have multiple DS lites and Supercards, in case I play with a family member or somethin so its not that bad......
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well its a good thing I have multiple DS lites and Supercards, in case I play with a family member or somethin so its not that bad......
    Yep.

Thanks
    EP Points

My stepson will be heartbroken. He's a badass at Mario Kart on the wii and won't be able to compete online anymore. The only thing I have to say is that I seriously doubt they'd be doing this if the Wii U wasn't selling so poorly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by markbarkins View Post
    My stepson will be heartbroken. He's a badass at Mario Kart on the wii and won't be able to compete online anymore. The only thing I have to say is that I seriously doubt they'd be doing this if the Wii U wasn't selling so poorly.
    I highly doubt that, I'm sure they still would be. I mean, everything ends.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by markbarkins View Post
    Ya pretty much, Its all a big F U to the consumer , thats why the only thing that will be available online is a freakin eSHOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxas View Post
    I highly doubt that, I'm sure they still would be. I mean, everything ends.
    You sure are Emo today, not going well with the misses?
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Honestly I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Nintendo doesn't have a ton of incentive to keep it up. This is what happens with consoles...online support eventually dies which is why everyone was up in arms about the Xbone initially.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ya pretty much, Its all a big F U to the consumer , thats why the only thing that will be available online is a freakin eSHOP.

You sure are Emo today, not going well with the misses?
    I'm not being emo, I'm being realistic. It would've ended eventually. Like I said before, not a lot of people probably use it. Not enough for Nintendo to keep it up anyway. Besides, it's not like they manufacture many DS/Wii games these days that can be used for online capabilities. They have the WiiU and 3DS for that. I honestly think it should've been ended sooner.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace Ventura For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Better beat all your friends now while you have the chance!
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

weren't they already slowly killing the online support for the wii? ah, never did do much online multiplayer with wii or nds so i guess it doesn't really affect me though i do still wonder what'll happen when this kind of thing starts happening to the xbox's. (or has it already begun for them too? don't remember)

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    weren't they already slowly killing the online support for the wii? ah, never did do much online multiplayer with wii or nds so i guess it doesn't really affect me though i do still wonder what'll happen when this kind of thing starts happening to the xbox's. (or has it already begun for them too? don't remember)
    The Original Xbox live is long gone, it will be the same for the 360 eventually link up modes are supported online now though anyway (3rd party software used via PC) so it will only be the games that use dedicated servers with server files that are going to be effected mostly for 360 users, I can't see Sony doing this any time soon though, not with the PS3 and PS+ support but when that does go there will be a lot of angry gamers, not so much for online play but the online payed for games and freeish PS+ games that would be lost we want to keep our games forever more so as the PS4 from what I have heard has no PS3 games support as of yet.

If this does happen with PS3 I can see me looking to buy a pre chipped console, or buying discs of games that I had via Download payed for and or PS+ download, I can see 3560 owners getting upset over that also, thankfully for my 360 I don't have any DLC I don't keep on the HDD all the time, the PS3 though there are tons of games that are on my account but not on my HDD due to the number of games.

It's not such a big deal for Nintendo though there is very little DS or Wii DLC, more on the Wii in the way of songs for Guitar Hero games and the like.

I think it is a bit soon for the Wii though, a lot of us do not have a WiiU yet, well I don't (can't afford one otherwise I might have one by now)

Nintendo in a way have blocked older software over time anyway, I'm a little supprized that the 2DS still has DS support at all most of Nintendo's hardware with every other upgrade has had a loss in backwards compat

GBA = GBA plus GB support SP version was the same
    DS = lost GB support but kept GBA support Lite version was the same,
    DSi lost slot 2, even though plenty of DS games had slot 2 features such as save link unlocks guitar thing rumble support and a few others,
    3DS supports the same as the DSi (Not 100% sure it supports DSi exclusive games as I don't have any)

GameCube (no N64 support obviously, but with an expansion officially supported GBA games, think that worked with GB games also)
    Wii had GC support
    Later Wii's Lost GC support
    WiiU supports WiiU and Wii games

I do respect Nintendo though for there past and current idea of backwards support at least for the last Gen that they have kept up for there handhelds and done a good job with the Wii and WiiU, there are obvious reasons why Nintendo didn't give the GameCube N64 cart backwards compat

I don't call Downloaded games as backward support as you do need to buy the games you have again, but still good if you missed a game

PS3 almost done it right but they dropped PS2 support
    360 almost but some games just don't work, still good that it supports a large amount of original xbox games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-March-2014 at 17:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

This is just typical Nintendo. When you buy a Nintendo system, they're notorious for just dropping support for the previous systems as soon as a new one comes out. Look at how quickly they discontinued the Wii after the Wii-U came out. The PS3 and 360 are both going to be supported for at least another 2-3 years. XBL and PSN support will also be there for those systems. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised here?

We'll be able to get the DLC for those games eventually, so don't fret. There are enough DQ fans out there who will put the DLC content online.

Thanks

This seems like bullshit, but I'm sure the brilliant people with homebrew could probably whip up something for an artificial wifi network for online play. Netflix is unlikely to be affected because it goes through your home wifi and not the Nintendo network. I guess people are freaking out over a typo or something. It's probably the services, but not the games.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gamerdude211 View Post
    This is just typical Nintendo. When you buy a Nintendo system, they're notorious for just dropping support for the previous systems as soon as a new one comes out. Look at how quickly they discontinued the Wii after the Wii-U came out. The PS3 and 360 are both going to be supported for at least another 2-3 years. XBL and PSN support will also be there for those systems. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised here?

We'll be able to get the DLC for those games eventually, so don't fret. There are enough DQ fans out there who will put the DLC content online.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathlord97 View Post
    This seems like bullshit, but I'm sure the brilliant people with homebrew could probably whip up something for an artificial wifi network for online play. Netflix is unlikely to be affected because it goes through your home wifi and not the Nintendo network. I guess people are freaking out over a typo or something. It's probably the services, but not the games.
    Holy shit, this is an old post guys. Enough with this already. We can all go back to our lives now, it's shutting down the servers. Can someone close this thread already?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Roxas View Post
    Holy shit, this is an old post guys. Enough with this already. We can all go back to our lives now, it's shutting down the servers. Can someone close this thread already?
    Not that old and just because you don't like people bitching about does not mean its gonna get closed , Bullshit is still bullshit .