Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to play PS2 ISO's on my PS2 Slim

Thanks
    EP Points

Default I want to play PS2 ISO's on my PS2 Slim

Now i don't have any cash for anything fancy like SwapMagic or Modchips so what else can i do to make this old dream of mine come true?

What I have:
    Computer
    Ps2 Slim model
    2GB Flash Drive (just in case)
    SD Card (doubt mentioning this means anything)
    Blank DVD-R discs and CD-R's
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

SwapMagic is not all that great anyway

Going to move this to Everything Console as you are not talking about emulating to PS2 on a PC

Now this is in the correct section, look at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80570

It outlines how to soft mod the PS2

All you need is a temp way to boot homebrew a few are in my guide

There are more examples at http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/ under installation, but most require extra hardware or software like cheat CD's

Or we do have free install services here and at the above also, under installation, both require you to post your memcard and cover postage both ways, depending on your location depends on who can do this for you, I don'r know anyone living in pokemon universe that can do that though

I can also do this for you, but it is important that whoever does this for you lives in the same region or owns the same region console

There is also a guide here for making a retail backup into a swap Magic disc (You do require both the retail disc and a backup of that disc with the swap magic elf inserted into it) and swap trick the retail for the backup, you are also required to disassemble the PS2 and block off the lid switches so even if you open the lid the PS2 will not know it is open, I would do that temp though as ESR the booting method does not require and neither does FMCB that ESR runs from, once installed you can remove the switch blocks, be that tape, blutack or whatever

P.S. Newer PS2 slims can not use this though so if your PS2 slim is the newer console, the one with almost half the fliptop side of the console is glassy, the older slims just have a thin stripe that is glossy that this does work with

Sony stopped code from being able to be booted from memcard that is how they stopped it on the newer slims
    Last edited by Zorlon; 26th-February-2014 at 09:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Allright i'll check this out your a big help Zorlon and also i realized too late i put it in the wrong section XD my bad. Also the location is obviously a joke xd
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemongenius View Post
    Allright i'll check this out your a big help Zorlon and also i realized too late i put it in the wrong section XD my bad. Also the location is obviously a joke xd
    And you got my hopes up I though Pokemon Universe was real.

Your very welcome

P.S. I know my guide for this look kinda complicated but it's very easy to do, there are just a lot of very small steps and that's a cut down method as most the files are sorted for you ready.

It's also a lot shorter than it looks
    Last edited by Zorlon; 26th-February-2014 at 19:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    And you got my hopes up I though Pokemon Universe was real.

Your very welcome

P.S. I know my guide for this look kinda complicated but it's very easy to do, there are just a lot of very small steps and that's a cut down method as most the files are sorted for you ready.

It's also a lot shorter than it looks
    If only this was a Wii instead this is a bit heavy doc. Ok so I can boot this uLaunchELF thing from a disc am I reading this right?
    Last edited by Pokemongenius; 26th-February-2014 at 20:17.

Thanks

Hey man, if your willing to get a bigger flash drive, and or an external HDD. games average 1-3gb. If you get a bigger drive you can store games on there by formatting the "hdd/flash drive" to a selection under "format" called "32FAT" or FAT32. Mounting the iso image on "daemon tools" and get a program called USB Extreme to install from virtual drive onto the HDD and download and place a program called "OPL" open playstation loader, place it into the HDD and using mcboot memorycard with ELFfilelauncher(something like that) open and play the games you installed. Thats what i did b/c i was having a hard time getting burned ones to work and emulator won't run full speed. If you need any help or decide to do this, send me a message

EDIT: ooooh so you are doing this with uLaunchELF... yea this is literally exactly what you do step by step, its just the quick guide
    but here is everything you need if so(just doing even if you already know for others who read too)

Your ISO file of game
    Program-ESR Patcher Patch the ISO
    Program-Daemon Tools Mount ISO on VD
    Program-fat32formatter 1.1(this is only if 32fat doesn't show as a format option then you need a program that can do it for you... something dumb with it having to do with big external drives)
    Program-OPL launcher Put into HDD after reformat
    Program-USBExtreme Use to install ISO to HDD

PS2 Start
    -Mcboot
    -uLaunchELF
    -mass(d)
    -OPL folder
    -circle on the .ELF file
    Press X
    games will show
    Press X to play the game

DBL Edit: oh you are trying to burn them. Welp this would be your next best thing if it doesn't work out.
    Last edited by Endo Pain; 28th-February-2014 at 23:23.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemongenius View Post
    If only this was a Wii instead this is a bit heavy doc. Ok so I can boot this uLaunchELF thing from a disc am I reading this right?
    ulaunch works for this just fine yes, the guide that you looked at is step by step on exactly what to select ect so it's almost fool proof, but ask away if you are not sure about something, you can't do anything drestically wrong with it though anyway, it will just not work that's all rather than breaking anything and is fully reversible, it's just software that boots from the memcard, booting with no memcard = softmod not active.

Best way to do this once you have a way to boot up ulaunch is just to go at this one with no fear, just go for it.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-March-2014 at 08:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Appreciated everyone but I have to bear bad news that I happen to have the newest model of the PS2 therefore all of this can't happen :/. Thanks for everyone for helping anyways it was a good attempt. I tried ESR patching a game (Ape Escape 2) and just slapped it into the ps2 without doing anything else just for kicks. Well the result was that it got past the splash screen (or whatever you call it) and the red screen didn't show up instead I got a black screen in attempt to MAYBE show the ps2 logo? IDK either way I ALMOST got it XD.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can still use OPL to load from a USB HDD or and Network

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

OPL? All I've read is that this model needs eithe SwapMagic or a Modchip. Now i'm intrigued again!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

OPL (I forget what it stands for)

That should work fine, the only reason ESR will not is because it needs to use a memcard and have hacked up DVD drivers, but OPL does not need, using ulaunch or something to run that

You might also be able to create a Swap Magic Hot swap disc, this has only ever been proven to work with a single game though, to make a Swap Magic hot swap disc that is not the use of it as it will work with most DVD games, you must own the game though, I'm sure it was a 007 game

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I know of the game its 007 Nightfire which I don't have. Ok so then how am I going to be using this OPL anyways? And how to install my game on my flash drive with this USB Extreme thing?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not used it myself but http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=hd.html has everything you need there, just read the docs that come with them

I was put off USB loading long ago but do believe they have improved things since I last tried it using USB Advance/Extreme I think it was

Things will run faster over ethernet though than USB that is only USB 1.0 that is very slow OPL supports ethernet
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-March-2014 at 18:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Allright I'll try this out and see how it goes. Not gonna cross my fingers this time. So what is a flash drive considered HDD?
    Last edited by Pokemongenius; 5th-March-2014 at 18:53.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A USB flash drive is not considered a USB HDD no

USB flash Drive uses a flash memory chip, OPL should work with those anyway though

USB HDD uses a Hard Disc Drive (literally a magnetic disc spinning at high speed in an air tight casing)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]