Thread: Free Newsgroup accounts

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Default Free Newsgroup accounts

Before you get too excited, this is limited to 2 connections, 10 day retention, and 2mb download speed.

As for the 10 day retention, I've just tried part of a file from 2011 and it's downloading. I'm using Grabit (free), and it all seems to work.

Here's the page to sign up for a free account (with option to buy an upgrade, but I would stick to free).

https://www.xsusenet.com/

Hitnews 3 day unlimited Usenet. Just sign up with a username, password and email account, no payment info required. It might take a while to activate your account, possibly half an hour. You can keep signing up again and again, but you'll need a different email each time.

I recommend this as it's full speed and high retention.

http://www.hitnews.com/
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 27th-July-2016 at 21:03. Reason: xsusenet now 2mb

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jackhammer For This Useful Post:

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

I forgot about this thread. Thread restored, can confirm the free account does work, although it is slow, you can resume your dloads at a later date.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Neat, I didn't notice this post the first time around. I haven't been on Usenet for years, since ISPs naturally gave out free binary access
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Neat, I didn't notice this post the first time around. I haven't been on Usenet for years, since ISPs naturally gave out free binary access
    I use it for backfills, my main account only has 30 days retention, but even though this free account says 10 days, I have managed to grab files a few years old.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Added Hitnews to the first post.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

xsusenet is now upgraded from 1mb to 2mb dload speed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Here's a question (maybe a dumb one idk).
    Say I'm using either of these trial offers. I'm downloading stuff, I get to the end of the 3 or 10 days and I'm halfway or nearly finished grabbing something fairly large (like 20GB or more).
    Can I just use a new email, login and keep downloading what I hadn't finished on a previous login?

Spoiler warning:

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Here's a question (maybe a dumb one idk).
    Say I'm using either of these trial offers. I'm downloading stuff, I get to the end of the 3 or 10 days and I'm halfway or nearly finished grabbing something fairly large (like 20GB or more).
    Can I just use a new email, login and keep downloading what I hadn't finished on a previous login?
    If you use Grabit, it has the option to save what you're dloading, then resume when you start again. As for the account expiring whilst dloading, if you use an nzb on a new account, (similar to a torrent file) it will reload all the files from the start. You can pause the dload and manually highlight all the previously dloaded files and delete them leaving just the ones you needed when your account expired.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackhammer For This Useful Post: