Thread: Windows 8 ruined my emulator?

Thanks

Default Windows 8 ruined my emulator?

Hi guys. I'm new here and I was wondering if could get some help on serious problem. I LOVE emulators. I've being playing them for years now. My most reliable one is desmume. Everything was running great on my windows 7 tell I decided to upgrade to 8. Everything was running great tell I started up my desmume and every and I mean every rom come out hideously pixelated. I then choose to check my other emulators dolphin, visualboy ,ppsspp and nulldc, and everyone of them got hit with the same problem! I've tried changing the display settings on my computer, I've tried screen resolution on my computer and I've tried the display settings in the emulators themselves nothing works. At first I thought it was my computers fault but then I tested it on three other computers with windows 8 and the same problem shines through pixelated and ugly. Please tell me I don't have to downgrade a my computer back to windows 7 just to get that that crisp beautiful look (by emulation standards) back.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandicam 2014-02-22 06-15-05-769.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	40339 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandicam 2014-02-22 06-17-03-960.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	40340 Please HELP! This problem has being bugging me for several months now.

BTW I see the pics I uploaded don't look as bad as made them out to be but it looks like they got compressed. Believe me when I say when scaled up on my computer it looks much much worst. Please help.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-February-2014 at 12:06. Reason: Double posting evilness

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Your right they don't look bad at all even fully zoomed in on the images, but all you need to do is config the emu to use whatever filters it has

Using Windows 8 has nothing to do with it, it will look exactly the same on the same setup in window 7 as it does in Windows 8 what you possibly have is a better screen now though that shows a crisper image making the pixcels more square as that is what they are, a lower quality screen though make make the squares appear more rounded

If it has no filters of it's own most good graphics chip sets have filters you can add to certain programs or your desktop

Again Windows 8 does not display any emulator any differently to Windows 7

Not sure I would class Windows 8 as an upgrade though to 7, but if anything you are getting a higher quality image hence it looks more pixcelated or you are using a bigger screen that would make pixcels more visable

PSP GBA and DS all use low Res that when expanded to full screen look kinda naff without filtering and are picelated even on Windows 7

even 640x480 when on a bigger screen can start to show clear pixcels (Dreamcast runs at this mostly, with the odd game running at 320x240)

basically you are making a small pixcel very big so you can see it easy

I don't emulate much now but I do know that VGA at least has some nice filters that you can use

Generally the HQx2 or HQx3 filters give off the best results for 2D emulation like PSX, GBA and some DS, not sure I would use that with 3D emulation though unless there is a option just to filter the textures
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-February-2014 at 12:27.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Wow I had no idea that the size of the screen of the computer effects the visual quality of the emulator. Now that I think about it the laptop I was using them on with the windows 7 did have a smaller screen then the one I use windows 8 on now, that computer is long gone now and I don't know anyone with a laptop with a screen around the size of the one I had so for now I have no way of testing your theory, but if it is true that would explain a lot.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can still test that anything that runs in a window, just resize it to the apx size that you older screen was instead of making it fill the screen

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR