Thread: 3DS update for R4i

Thanks

Default 3DS update for R4i

I apologize in advance if my title was misleading in any way.
    I honestly did not know how to title it any better.

To put it simply.
    I received my new 3DS XL via shipping today and I had absolutely no idea that the updates were automatically done via Nintendo.

I mistakenly updated my 3DS to ver. 7.0 and I am absolutely not sure if it is still possible to continue with my updates so that I may be able to play my DS games.

I've searched around various forums saying that it is impossible to update the R4 on the 3DS, however you could update it using the DS Lite.

However, I have tried to update my R4 to the latest version, but when I clicked the upgrade button, it did not do anything.
    All it says is: Current version. Support Model: NDSL, NDSI 1.44, 3DS 3.0.
    (Please not that I have never updated before.)

Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2014 at 08:00.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The updates are not automatic you are prompted to update (YES/NO)

You need to go to the official site (should be detailed on the card itself) and manually download the firmware update and place it on your MicroSD as instructed (the updates normally come with a text file with instructions or it will have install instructions online)

The stuck thread DS flash kits that work with the 3DS firmware 5.0.0-11x to 7.1.0-15x has info for this also but it says much the same as what I just said here

Depending on how old the firmware is currently on the R4i you may need to follow special instructions for modding the cart to accept one of the updates, also depends on who made the R4i you own, most R4i cards are blocked now though with only 2 left that still work (R4i Gold 3DS and R4iDSN 3DS and not all versions of those work either), there is also the Ace3DS PLUS and the best kit of them all the SuperCard DSTWO.

You can update on your 3DS but only before updating the 3DS itself otherwise you are just blocking the card and then you much use a DS or DSL to update via, some R4i kits have a USB updater as well though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-February-2014 at 13:45.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

From what I've seen, I think it best that I purchase a newer card.
    Like you've suggested, maybe the SuperCard DSTWO would be the better choice for me.

And from what I've read, it can be played with the latest version of the 3DS.
    And can also play 3DS games(?)

Now the rest of my concerns lie on where to purchase and the price.
    If I'm not mistaken, it comes to about $40.
    And also if my MicroSD card (16GB) could still be carried on over to the DSTWO.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post.
    I've never dealt with firmwares/flashcarts before, so much of it is overwhelming for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gyaraderp View Post
    From what I've seen, I think it best that I purchase a newer card.
    Like you've suggested, maybe the SuperCard DSTWO would be the better choice for me.

And from what I've read, it can be played with the latest version of the 3DS.
    And can also play 3DS games(?)

Now the rest of my concerns lie on where to purchase and the price.
    If I'm not mistaken, it comes to about $40.
    And also if my MicroSD card (16GB) could still be carried on over to the DSTWO.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post.
    I've never dealt with firmwares/flashcarts before, so much of it is overwhelming for me.

DSTwo dont support 3ds rom, all 3ds game supported cards,such as gateway 3ds, mt-card and so on can just work on N3DS V4.5-4.1,you can just use dstwo play nds games or gba/snes games on all nintendo console with all firmware version.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 26th-February-2014 at 07:49.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Haylee View Post
    DSTwo dont support 3ds rom, all 3ds game supported cards,such as gateway 3ds, mt-card and so on can just work on N3DS V4.5-4.1,you can just use dstwo play nds games or gba/snes games on all nintendo console with all firmware version.
    No web site linking please, you are welcome to PM the OP though

Yeah sorry I missed that Haylee is perfectly correct there, the Supercard DSTWO has no 3DS game support just native DS support, everything else it plays is emulated

The Gateway myself I would call it an unfinished product is the only kit to play 3DS roms but as above it only supports use in older 3DS firmware 4.1.X to 4.5.X (there are clones now also, but these are going to be cheap versions and may have unexpected issues)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR