Thread: ePSXe Resident Evil 3 sound problem

Thanks
    EP Points

Question ePSXe Resident Evil 3 sound problem

Hello, I am having an audio problem with RE3

I am using ePSXe 1.6 (1.7 gave me a black screen issue for the game)
    Eternal SPU 1.50 beta2
    Pete's OpenGL2 PSX GPU

initially I wasn't getting any audio in FMV sequences. I enabled XA sound and that seemed to fix it.

However during the opening sequence(not an FMV) there is no sound at all, I tried different options in the SPU config but nothing seems to work

Anyone have any advice?

Also I have to disable DEP to play any game at all, anyone know a way around this?
    If I have too I'll keep doing it, just a pain to disable an restart everytime I want to play a game in epsxe lol.

Thanks.
    Last edited by revan299s; 17th-February-2014 at 08:34.

I dont know where, I just woke up, an island maybe?
    Thanks
    EP Points

that's not a plugin issue, but more of a compatability issue with the emulater itself you need the 1.9.0 verson of epsxe
    and as for plugin configuration, for sound plugin use epsxe SPU core 1.9.0, and as for the video plugin use p.e.op.s.soft driver 1.18, that should play perfectly

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by revan299s View Post
    Also I have to disable DEP to play any game at all, anyone know a way around this?
    If I have too I'll keep doing it, just a pain to disable an restart everytime I want to play a game in epsxe lol.

Thanks.
    I can't advise on that as I have no Idea what DEP is and never had to reset a PC to use ePSXe with anything

Resi 3 though works fine with ePSXe, the current best version would be the shark enhanced 1.8.0 version

P.S. there is no single config especially with a 3D plugin that will not work with every game, even sound plugins will not work with every game

1.5.2 & 1.6.0 are for older OS systems XP ect though they should still work on newer systems, 1.7.0 and up is for Vista up over, 1.7.0 has a few small bugs though, so best avoided, 1.8.0 has those fixed 1.9.0 has a few fixes but the Shark enhanced version of 1.8.0 has more fixes

If you wanted you can keep all versions of ePSXe in the same folder just rename them all, except for the main exe of the shark enhanced one that has to be named ePSXe.exe otherwise it will not even load

I take it you are using the (U) version of Resi 3 though

I will do a quick test in both 1.6.0 and that 1.7.0 versions that I am sure I can get to work with sound, in FMV and cut scenes

Yup 1.6.0 and older do not have all sounds working for this game

1.7.0 works perfect, but use the internal plugin or the sound plays far too fast even with the frame rate setup correctly

1.8.0 Shark Enhanced recomended
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-February-2014 at 13:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Leon8200 View Post
    that's not a plugin issue, but more of a compatability issue with the emulater itself you need the 1.9.0 verson of epsxe
    and as for plugin configuration, for sound plugin use epsxe SPU core 1.9.0, and as for the video plugin use p.e.op.s.soft driver 1.18, that should play perfectly
    This did indeed work. So it was an outdated version. However when using your recommended GPU plugin I experienced massive slowdown during FMVs. I switch to Pete's OpenGL2 and it works fine. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Nevermind I went back to your recommended GPU and edited the config and it works flawlessly now lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I can't advise on that as I have no Idea what DEP is and never had to reset a PC to use ePSXe with anything
    DEP is Data Execution Prevention. The problem is, is that its intended to prevent some malware from gaining control of your machine. So I end up re-enabling it. I have no idea why this would prevent ePSXe from working. Also I will take a look at 1.8.0 Shark Enhanced, I was able to use 1.9.0 for RE3 but I may need it for other games. Thanks
    Last edited by revan299s; 17th-February-2014 at 14:57.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by revan299s View Post
    DEP is Data Execution Prevention. The problem is, is that its intended to prevent some malware from gaining control of your machine. So I end up re-enabling it. I have no idea why this would prevent ePSXe from working. Also I will take a look at 1.8.0 Shark Enhanced, I was able to use 1.9.0 for RE3 but I may need it for other games. Thanks
    Does "Run as Administrator" not get it working?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    Does "Run as Administrator" not get it working?
    The emulator itself runs fine when using "Run as Administrator". The problem is when running an ISO it will crash unless I disable DEP.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

can you not add exceptions to DEP i.e. set it to ignore ePSXe

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    can you not add exceptions to DEP i.e. set it to ignore ePSXe
    Not sure how. I only know the DOS commands to enable and disable DEP