Thread: Using a Sega Game Gear as a USB controller

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Using a Sega Game Gear as a USB controller

Is this even possible? Does an adapter exist to plug a real Game Gear into my PC to use as the controller? I know it sounds pointless, but it makes the games even more enjoyable when you use the authentic controller. I have adapters for console controllers (NES, SNES, Atari 2600, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, and Sega Master System). I wonder if such things exist for handhelds like Game Gear and Game Boy.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

From my knowledge, nope, they do not exist.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

I didn't think so. I Google searched and nothing came up. Although it may be possible for someone really good with electronics to make one, but I'm not good at stuff like that.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Vortexx1988 View Post
    I didn't think so. I Google searched and nothing came up. Although it may be possible for someone really good with electronics to make one, but I'm not good at stuff like that.
    Correct, the only way to do this is to DIY one yourself, to be honest not worth the effort.

The only handheld console I know can work is the PSP that just uses a standard USB connection

Normally Handheld systems do not have an option like that

Almost forgot but the GBA can be used if you happen to own the correct flash kit, the original EZFlash (Not to be confused with the EZFA clonish carts) anyway the EZF kit that came with a USB data cable enabled the GBA to be used as a PC pad

The Game Gear port though can be modded into a game port for a mastersystem or Genesis/Megadrive controller to be used with the GG

cheap ways to get a reliable controller are

PS2 or Dual Shock PSX pad plus a PSX/PS2 to USB converter [Might be listed as PS2 to PS3, these also work fine from a PC usb port] (£2 to £3 for a converter apx the same in USD) very very cheap if you happen to have a controller to start with, but an official PS2 controller will not be that much or even a PSX dual shock pad, there is not much between them, nothing on a PC.

Converters for other pads as well but the price of none PSX/PS2 controller to USB converters are not all that cheap to be honest and are harder to come by.

Only cheap if you happen to own these to start with

If you have a wired 360 pad (Not the wireless kind) these work in a PC directly but the lower triggers can not be used at the same time.

A PSP

Less reliable options are

a PS3 pad with 3rd party drivers

a Wii Mote, Wii motes require blue tooth also.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-February-2014 at 01:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I currently use a Logitech game controller (looks like a PS2 controller) for Game Gear emulation. I use authentic controllers for every other console. It would just be nice to have that authentic feel for handheld system emulation too. but I can make do without total authenticity.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Use a megadrive pad it's about as close as you can get, you could even mod the GG to take a megadrive or mastersystem pad, is you wanted

Personally I wouldn't use a PS2 clone pad but instead use an actual PS2 pad

GameBoy systems use much the same lawout as a NES pad

GBA systems can be used but the cable for that is near impossible to find now, the cable I still have it's the flash kit that I am missing as it was stolen, but the cable is all that is need as it can still flash the GBA's temp memory that is used when you play link up games from one cart or even GameCube hook up

a SNES controller is not that different for GBA though, unless you are used to the GBA SP that I loved more but more for the screens

I just use a PS2 pad for everything though, but to be honest I think for Megadrive 3 and 6 button games a Saturn pad would be a better option

I even use a PS2 pads with my Xbox and Wii (for GC games and Wii games that support control pads via GC pad ports)

Dreamcast I wouldn't use anything else than the DC pad though and do not know how well a converter would be for the deep analog triggers

Retro pads don't really interest me I find they are just far too small for me now and pad designs had been very much improved since the good olde 8 bit days and partly through the 16bit days I say partly because the later 16 bit pads had been a bit bigger and felt ok compared to the square cut pads like NES and Master system pads, later pads got designed to fit in your hands nice with all buttons placed nice (with the exception of N64 that I never did like, not to say it was ever a bad system though and original Xbox pads with the silly black and White buttons that made it difficult to play anything that used them, hence I use a PS2 or PSX Dual Shock pad with my Xbox)

EDIT: saying all that though it is kinda cool that you have the option to use the pads designed for the system you are emulating.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-February-2014 at 01:26.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The reason there are no adapters for the game gear and game boy is becyaee the data traces for the button pads are not routed to any of the I/o ports. They are not controllers in any sense.

The game gear has a port for linking systems and so does the gamebiy. This links software only, not hardware.

The game boys link Port does however include the join P14 which connects directly the CPU and is an output for half of the buttons. Nintendo never incorporated this in any of the game roms, but theoretically one could use it to control another game boys buttons or to be controlled itself.

To use either console as a controller would require gutting the system, cutting trades and wiring in a third party button encoder USB adapter. This would be incredibly invasive and render the console useless for playing original games anymore. It would just be a USB controller.

It would not be very hard for someone with a little bit of electronic knowledge and soldering skills.

Sorry for the spelling errors, my phone screen is so small that the typing pad covers up the dialog box.....it sucks!