Thread: FTP to modded XBOX

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default FTP to modded XBOX

What is the preferred client for FTP from computer to XBOX?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    What is the preferred client for FTP from computer to XBOX?
    I assume you mean an actual Xbox, and not a 360.

It has been a while since I did any of this, but I pretty much stuck to using qwix for ftp.
    Also used it for compiling .iso's from games on Xbox HDD.
    You can enable boost mode in Avalaunch on your Xbox to improve transfer speed to your Xbox using qwix.
    Qwix pretty much does most things you would need...transfer to and from Xbox, rebuilding or extracting .iso's.

The only thing it may not do (I can't remember which is why I'm mentioning it) is identify Xbox game info like region. I've used XDVDMulleter for that.

Moved this thread, nothing seriously wrong with where it was but I think it's more relevant in Everything Console>Microsoft systems (even though you are asking about an ftp client for PC...it's Xbox specific).
    Last edited by deadlegion; 3rd-February-2014 at 05:23.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

lol, I did not know quix could do that.

If you need a fully-flagged FTP client, try filezilla.
    BTW: does anyone else have this strange problem, where the transfer speed becomes incredibly slow for no visible reason? Like, 1 file per 10 seconds.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Qwix plus avalaunch to take advantage of the speed boost it also lets you remove games including saves that is a very good idea because if you hit over 240 you are no longer able to play any games that don't already have a save slot for them (emulators tend to use one save slot for settings and keep save games stored in other locations, so don't think that every emulated games has it's own Xbox saves slot, it's just the emulator itself that does)

Everything that you run on the Xbox creates a Save, this is not to say that the save is game content save data though it is not, but every program/game will store a small amount of data that allows it to be ran

For FTPing anything else asides from retail games then FileZilla is usually enough for that

@ Tosnic, nope not had your strange problem, I use Avalaunch as an app not a Dash, my Dash is XBMC, most of my FTP activity is via Avalaunch using Qwix, but I do use Filezilla via XBMC for homebrew or working on mods

Filezilla can have issues though when you copy lots of files at once like a retail game and can fail (no errors are given but the games can crash or be unstable), especially if the FTP is not setup correctly.

For retail games that are given as raw files I just rebuild those into an ISO with Qwix then FTP via Qwix, asides from it being a better FTP method it is still quicker than just FTPing the RAW files via FileZilla.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-February-2014 at 18:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks for the info. We aren't going to be able to test this until we get a crossover cable, or at the very least another CAT5 and bring my friends XBOX over here.

And that's correct, not the 360. Thank you, all.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    Thanks for the info. We aren't going to be able to test this until we get a crossover cable, or at the very least another CAT5 and bring my friends XBOX over here.

And that's correct, not the 360. Thank you, all.
    I just use some standard cat5e cables and a switch, actually an old router that has a switch (which can just be used as a switch between a PC and the Xbox). I do have a crossover cable from years ago but I haven't used it in a very long time.
    Make all my own network cables, wired my house some years back.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For Crossovers you can get a cheapo converter but to be honest the cables are cheap enough and more reliable, Amazon should have both.

I used to use a converter, that was just a small block that plugged into one side of a standard cable, (it did break eventually)
    Now I use Belkin 10 Meter cable (far too big but the 5M ones at the time had been out of stock)

I have also used a Normal Cat5 connection via my Wireless Network Hub but the connection was far too poor/slow

P.S. for HDD info on the Xbox http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?87071 is well worth reading, more so if you plan to install a new HDD, but still useful info even if you are not, as the xbox HDD format has limitations that are not that well known

I have also created a large amount of fixes for xbox games running from HDD (Not all of them have been created by me ) that is worth you looking at closer to when you start to FTP stuff over, there are also numerous fixes for HD displays if you go with component cables [Must be high quality Component cables or there will be intermittent signal loss, that is no good what so ever] (or use a VGA mod, that I am sure only certain mod chips support, something I don't know enough about to advise on that though)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-February-2014 at 19:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    For Crossovers you can get a cheapo converter but to be honest the cables are cheap enough and more reliable, Amazon should have both.

I used to use a converter, that was just a small block that plugged into one side of a standard cable, (it did break eventually)
    Now I use Belkin 10 Meter cable (far too big but the 5M ones at the time had been out of stock)

P.S. for HDD info on the Xbox http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?87071 is well worth reading, more so if you plan to install a new HDD, but still useful info even if you are not

I have also created a large amount of fixes for xbox games running from HDD (Not all of them have been created by me ) that is worth you looking at closer to when you start to FTP stuff over, there are also numerous fixes for HD displays if you go with component cables [Must be high quality Component cables or there will be intermittent signal loss, that is no good what so ever] (or use a VGA mod, that I am sure only certain mod chips support, something I don't know enough about to advise on that though)
    Longest cable length I have on my LAN is around 70 metres or so I think (cat6). Between wall sockets
    I think the longest cat5e cable I have made up is like 10 metres or something, but I made that for somebody that needed it.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have had 25 Metre + 15 Metre ones (upstairs downstairs thing going on) but that was before I had wireless and used with a home network that I was sharing my connection with one of my brothers out of kindness with a server machine [cheapo PC] (Never again though )

That cable has seen better days so use some of it for spare wire for mods, it's good wire in it .

Made those myself when I used to buy Cat5 cable and just add the ends myself, but buying something like 500 Metres of cable for one users use is just silly

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I have had 25 Metre + 15 Metre ones (upstairs downstairs thing going on) but that was before I had wireless and used with a home network that I was sharing my connection with one of my brothers out of kindness with a server machine [cheapo PC] (Never again though )

That cable has seen better days so use some of it for spare wire for mods, it's good wire in it .

Made those myself when I used to buy Cat5 cable and just add the ends myself, but buying something like 500 Metres of cable for one users use is just silly
    I got a heap of cat5e cable for nothing off a dude years ago (it was used but nothing wrong with it, pulled out of the walls of a business that changed to wireless). I still have at least 150 metres of it. And got given 100+ metres of cat6 too.
    All I ever bought was the network kit, which had the crimping tool, a bunch of wall plates and a bag of cable plugs+boots.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I got a heap of cat5e cable for nothing off a dude years ago (it was used but nothing wrong with it, pulled out of the walls of a business that changed to wireless). I still have at least 150 metres of it. And got given 100+ metres of cat6 too.
    All I ever bought was the network kit, which had the crimping tool, a bunch of wall plates and a bag of cable plugs+boots.
    People are not that nice to me

On skid row at the moment as well

I'm more like the guy that would do that for someone else though I'm just a big softy like that

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]