Thread: espxe ff8 - when I load my saved state I can hear audio but only see a black screen. HELP

Thanks

Default espxe ff8 - when I load my saved state I can hear audio but only see a black screen. HELP

I couldnt get my memory cards to work using espxe and ff8.
    So I (stupidly) have only been using saveload states...
    and havent regularly kept up my back up copies...

SO, now my previously working (perfectly) ff8 state may be lost forever.

I switched configuration settings when I went to play Legend of Dragoon...
    and it seems to be the switch back that led to the black screen error.

I have tried every different video configuration setting I have on my list,
    including switching from fullscreen to windowed mode

The game itself runs fine, I can start a new game, or load a state from a long time ago and it runs smooth,
    so unless someone out there has a miracle for me...
    I am pretty sure it's just a corrupted save state.

Confirmation would be nice though, I'm only willing to start over once Ive exhausted all options.

Any and all help is appreciated, Thank you!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Any changes to the settings are reverted as soon as you load a save state so even if changing the settings would not fix any issue because you only used save states it can't be fixed (the biggest reason not to use save states)

If you still can't get memcards to be seen then I can help with that though maybe use the very old save state to create a memcard save from..., not 100% sure you can change the memcard settings then load a save state either though (not 100% sure the memcard settings are also saved or not in save states)

You can try hitting F7 to change the graphics plugin on the fly from whatever you used to the secondary Software plugin in ePSXe 1.8.0 and 1.9.0 (possibly 1.7.0 as well)

P.S. if you want to use save states though best to do this while in menu or on a pause screen to make sure it is not trying to load in the next bit of code ect...
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-January-2014 at 10:57.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you! I am actually using espxe 1.6.0 and unfortunately the F7 trick doesn't work for me.
    Although I am pretty sure I can change the graphics settings and they remain even when I load a state.
    (I've done this once or twice to speed enhance graphics for movies in between game play)
    Perhaps that's because it is an older version.

I am definitely going to try and get memory cards to work regardless, hopefully those settings remain when loaded from my old save state too, otherwise it's time to start over.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Callunacy View Post
    Thank you! I am actually using espxe 1.6.0 and unfortunately the F7 trick doesn't work for me.
    Although I am pretty sure I can change the graphics settings and they remain even when I load a state...
    Neh you just can't do that with save states even in older versions, you can still toggle certain setting in-game though via delete and page up/page down,home/end keys

1.6.0 is very out of date now, the core has been totally re wrote as of 1.7.0

The current best version over all is 1.8.0 shark enhanced, then 1.9.0, I would just keep both, Personally I have 1.5.2 to 1.9.0 + the Shark Enhanced 1.8.0 all in the same folder so they can share the same bios memcard files and plugins.

So far only found 1.6.0 good for one game that could not be booted in the newer ePSXe core, the game was also copy protected and the only way to get past that was via an action replay code, you will find more the other way round though.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-January-2014 at 11:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR