Thread: GameCube Sub-ROM Extraction

Thanks

Default GameCube Sub-ROM Extraction

Hi there, all at EmuParadise.

Admins, if this is in the wrong place or has already been covered, I'm sorry.

I was wondering if anyone's ever extracted the sub-ROMS, if you will, from some of the GameCube platformers, like the actual games from the Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition or the NES games from Animal Crossing. I tried, using some old tools that I'll link below, and I quickly found myself out of my depth.

Any ideas, EmuPeople?

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GC-Tool

http://www.amnoid.de/gc/szstools.zip

The GameCube ISOs themselves were dumped using a modded Wii (because I'm lame like that).

Thanks, guys!

EDIT: I should probably point out that I'm using a Debian derivative and WINE to do this stuff.
    Last edited by Lazypsudeonym; 4th-January-2014 at 22:59.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As it happens you have all the tools anyway

Example with Animal Crossing

1. use GCtool to extract Famicom.arc
    2. drop Famicom.arc onto rarcdump.exe (or use commend line)
    3. drop *.szs files on to yaz0dec.exe [one at a time] (or use commend line)
    4. remove *.szs 0.rarc from the file names
    5. enjoy

P.S. GBA NES games I can't seem to get working though (Not tested on real hardware though either, but they are recognized as GBA roms they just don't do anything), but NES games work fine

at a guess though the gba version might just have an incomplete header so could be fixed, but this is far too much effort for something that has already been done, thinking about the GBA ones though, those had been dumped using a different method via the GBA hardware.

P.P.S. as far as I know all of this has been done before so nothing new left to be extracted

For Zelda it is a bit different though, you need to extract the tgc files for the games (NES ones can be done via hex once extracted and converted to gcm) you then need to use tgctogcm on those then open the new GC disc image, in there is a *.n64 rom file

The only one worth ripping though in not on the Zelda Collectors disc but is the Master Quest that came with the GC Zelda game Wind Waker, the Collectors disc was offered via Nintendo Points though, I own this myself as well as that bonus disc
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-January-2014 at 15:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hey, Thank you, Zorlon. I'm glad I was halfway right in my methods. How does the hex extraction work? Are there any other games that can be extracted like this that I'm unaware of or have slipped my mind? Also, there are GUI versions of those tools?
    Last edited by Lazypsudeonym; 5th-January-2014 at 16:02.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hex extraction is not something you should try to do to be honest unless you know what to look for, this included myself and I have worked with Hex for a very long time now but I don't know what is NES code in there and what is not.

Gui versions, no not that I am aware of

There are plenty of games with GBA mini games or NES games

Metroid Prime has Metroid NES included
    Phantasy Star Online has a GBA minigame (it has others but you need to be online and are not stored on the disc)
    Crash wrath of Cortex has a GBA minigame

those are just off the top of my head

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Solid, thanks. I'm still overzealous enough to see if anyone out there does know and wrote down the hex code for it. Now I'm going to go to retro gaming stores and look for the games mades as 2 for 1 easter eggs. Thanks!

EDIT: Cited from http://gbatemp.net/threads/zelda-col...acking.342248/

The NES roms are stored in a similar way; you can convert them to GCM images just like with the N64 ones. However, I don't know of any tool able to extract the NES roms from those images. But, you can do it yourself with a hex editor. On the original CE disc, Zelda 1 is located at offset 19A749E0 and ends at 19A949EF (20010 in length). Zelda 2 is located at offset 19C148E0 and ends at 19C548EF (40010 in length). The on-disc NES ROM data is very similar to a ROM dump of the original cartridges and the size matches perfectly, so it was pretty easy to find where the data was at. This technique seems like it can be extended to work with some other games with NES data (the bytes to look for are 4E 45 53 1A, the first four bytes of any NES-NTSC rom dump; the endpoint is usually where it would be in the actual NES romdump). Based on my own tests, this is probably not true, as the data appears to be stored differently in other games (such as Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime).
    EDIT EDIT:Yeah, that did not work for me. Oh well.
    Last edited by Lazypsudeonym; 6th-January-2014 at 00:04.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well at least you should be able to extract the NES zelda games, though I admit I still don't see what good you are getting from those

Harder to find ones like the GBA extras in PSO and Crash maybe but the NES roms are so easy to get hold of, even the N64 ones are including the Master Quest

These have all been dumped before including the GBA ones, though the GBA ones are a little harder to find online now

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I'm one of those weird people who sees the serious problem with modern copyright law, but I don't want to violate it, either. That's the only reason why I'm going through the trouble at all.

By the way, the second Clu Clu Land came out as a .qd file. Do you know what I should do with it?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No idea about the qd file, not even so sure that is a game, it has more chance of being a GC file, there is only 1 Clu Clu Land NES game

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I read that Clu Clu Land D, a famicom port of an arcade remake of the original, was in Animal Crossing. It's the only outlying file in the nineteen, eighteen of which are no fuss. There were nineteen games coded in. Huh. Oh well. Pulling eighteen classics out of one is not a bad hack, in the least.