Thread: I'm a huge idiot right now, but I need help softmodding my wii with neogamma

Thanks

Question I'm a huge idiot right now, but I need help softmodding my wii with neogamma

Now that the idiot part is out of the way, I need a no bs walk through of how to mod my wii so I can play my games from my sd card.i have letterbombed it and installed the hbc and bootmii, and all the games are loaded onto the sd card in wbfs format, for both the card and games. I did that because I read that it is the most effective way to go. I know I need neogamma, so how do I get there from here...and please, don't be afraid to talk to me like I'm 4.seriously, assume I don't know what I'm doing or where I'm going from here on out.
    And I did read the sticky posts about hacking the wii, the links are old and no longer work.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You must of read something very out of date then WBFS format is fine for the software (Wii Games) but the drive does not require this formatting now and best not to

Best way to run is a via a USB HDD, then secondly USB Stick (after some extra driver patching aka cios), then SD worst way is via USB stick without the cios otherwise the worst was is via SD (for older Wii's burning was also an option but HDD has faster load times than burned media)

NeoGamma is not needed there are plenty of loaders out there, been using USBloaderGX for years now to load everything for USB HDD

NeoGamma will do for now though until you get a USB HDD (that is best formatted to Fat32 with 32bit clusters that makes it so it can run everything homebrew, Wii games, GC games, WiiWare and Wii VC), I don't recommend a USB stick though, but if you do have one it is better than a SD card that will now need to be reformatted back to Fat preferably by a SD Formatter tool

By far the easiest way to mod a Wii and I do recommend you start again using this is http://modmii.zzl.org/ once you give it some simple info it gets everything you need for you, it even produces instructions for you use that for updating the hacks as well as first time install (it also includes a USB launcher fowarder channel, the actual launcher can be stored on USB or SD using the paths you are told to, but that channel is stored on the Wii's nand storage)

Let me know if you want to use a USB memstick (It is still better than SD) I will point out the extra stuff needed to get those running smoothly otherwise they run slower than SD and lag

Yeah I could do with replacing a number of the guides, it's something that I could do myself given time I will do.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-December-2013 at 16:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks for the help! I can't afford the usb flash drive right now, so I am just going to have to make the best of what I do have. So I'll check out what I can find and go from there. I will say the info I got beforehand was from tpb, so I'm glad I've got a seasoned pro helping me out. Cheers, and happy new year!
    And I'm compelled to say don't drink and drive tonight! Piracy is best practiced out of irons and pine boxes. (Sorry, that's army indoctrination for ya, lol)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah I'm out in a min for the new year, I will not even drink and walk , I don't really drink though anyway

You don't want a flash drive you want a USB HDD but they do cost a little more but over all you pay less per GB on a USB HDD compared with a SD or USB flash drive/USB stick, they are the same thing

I use a 2TB drive for use with the Wii, it's a cheap enough drive but that is because it is powered by a wall socket instead of USB, the ones powered by USB cost a bit more

£70 is still a lot for some of us to put out for a 2TB HDD though, myself included I'm somewhat broke

It's not bad starting out with what you currently have though

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Awesome! Worked like a charm! Appreciate the help!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No problem

P.S. do post back if and when you do go for a USB HDD though then I can run through the options for that fully, or if you want to also run GC games from your SD card and or USB that is also possible (that is if you have a Wii with GC ports for pads and memcards otherwise that does not have much use)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]