Thread: Two Suikoden FPS problems with ePSXe

Thanks

Default Two Suikoden FPS problems with ePSXe

Okay, so I'm playing Suikoden (the first one) on ePSXe. I'm having two problems with speed.

My main issue is that I can't speed up the game. I'm fairly knowledgeable with the program and emulation, I've just played Final Fantasy 7 through X-2 (used PCSX2 for the PS2 games).

Normally I would set the max FPS to something like 200, and either hit F4 to shut off the limiter, or I bring up the little menu with Insert/Delete and play around there.

I'm on a Core 2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64 bit Windows 7, Nvidia GeForce GT 620.

I ran FF7 and FF8 with high quality settings with no problem, so Suikoden should be a breeze. Which it is. Except for the fact I can't for the life of me get the game to play at anything other than 60 FPS. No matter how I change the framelimiter settings (0, 1, 2, 3) it just stays at 60 FPS.

My other, and less important issue is...

While playing, when I go from one area to another, for example from walking around town into a house/store, or even leaving a town and going to the world map, my FPS drops in half down to 30 FPS. If I hit ALT+Enter and go from window to full screen (or vice versa) it immediately kicks back up to 60 FPS. Very weird occurrence. It doesn't happen all the time, just here and there. Anyone ever experience this or have an idea what's causing it?

I'm more concerned with being able to speed up the game than this issue, since a quick ALT+Enter fixes it, and it doesn't happen all the time.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just use software mode it is a 2D game after all (you can still use HQ filtering stretched)

Then try speeding it up that to me is not an issue as some games if forced to fast than the normal FPS would just go out of sync or even crash out

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Just use software mode it is a 2D game after all (you can still use HQ filtering stretched)

Then try speeding it up that to me is not an issue as some games if forced to fast than the normal FPS would just go out of sync or even crash out

Wow I noobed hard...

I completely forgot about switching to software. I've been using PCSX2 for the last few months, I suppose I'm a bit rusty switching back to ePSXe. Thank you, that was exactly the problem. Now I'm remembering, in the past with Final Fantasy 7 and 8 I would switch to software mode when I wanted to fly through something or grind out monster killing and back to hardware for better graphics / normal gameplay.