Thread: iBuffalo controller (knockoff?)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default iBuffalo controller (knockoff?)

I just received what was supposed to be a Buffalo brand super famicom style USB controller from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, it says iBuffalo on the controller and packaging. Has anyone else experienced this? For some reason, I can't find anything about the two on the intertubes. Someone else has to have seen the difference.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have been looking into getting 2 Super Famicom style PC Controllers for awhile and from my understanding they are all mostly made in china, not sure about ones imported from japan, might be a good idea to message the sellers from japan and ask where the item was manufactured.

I personally would get anything made in japan because its quality
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Or you could just go for a SNES to USB converter and use real SNES controllers, at least you know there would be the real quality of the original controllers

Myself I use a real PS2 controller via a USB converter, not been that interested in retro controller converters as of yet (I have looked into that though), maybe Saturn ones that would work well for snes and megadrive as the layout fits those rather well with 6 face buttons (megadrive match up) and the back triggers (snes match up) select is missing but the 2 of the six face buttons can be used for select

I find that the original SNES controller is a bit small to be honest to the point of the comfort being neglected (NES/Mastersystem pads are very crude small and squared off, not very nice to hold at all, but managed back in the day I guess, but I couldn't honestly go back to those, in-fact in the last few years of my use of the mastersystem I used a megadrive pad even if button 3 had no use)

It was a while back but I do remember trying to play on a SNES after being used to the PSX at the time (Analog Dual shock pads, not the digital ones so a little later in the PSX lifetime, I think I had the PSone by that time as well) but the pad just didn't sit right for me ended up with cramp in my hands from it, still enjoyed the games though , still a nice system for the games.

Just ranting some other options really a USB repro is not going to feel the same as the real deal via a USB converter, to be honest I would class all those as knockoffs
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-December-2013 at 21:37.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

After looking at the Buffalo website, I did notice that some pages use the iBuffalo logo that's on the controller rather than Buffalo. So, it may be legit, and I decided to give it a try. Just beat Metroid: Zero Mission with it in one sitting, and here's my analysis:

It's surprisingly good. The d-pad is clicky rather than somewhat spongy, meaning it doesn't have the SNES d-pad's plastic creaks/squeaks. The buttons and d-pad offer just enough resistance to provide tactile feedback without tiring one's thumb. The start and select buttons feel somewhat easier to push than the original, which is good. And, the turbo feature was quite useful; I was able to ride bombs to any ceiling by simply enabling turbo for y and holding it.

I did a lot of research before picking up this controller, which has led me to believe that the Buffalo brand pads are reasonably durable. If that holds up, I would certainly recommend this pad for classic style games. I would like to try the Tomee brand pad at some point, however.