Thread: Modchip programmer help

Thanks

Question Modchip programmer help

Hey, I spent a few hours reading stuff about the psx and suitable modchips, I already ordered a 12F629 and have a MM3 hex file for it. Since I've a 900x PSX that should be the best solution for it if I'm right?

I still need a programmer for the 12F629 thought, since I want to make one on my own I found this site which shows me some circuits for different programmers, know I'm curious about which one would be good for my plan, easiest would be the Fun-card Programmer but I'm not sure if that will do the job.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You will need a PIC programmer and a way to connect it to your PC, yes. Do you have a parallel port? Do you have serial? I can help more once I am out from work...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 166 Posts
    EP Points

If your PC doesnt have a serial port. I would skip making your own programmer and recommend just buying an already made programmer

This one works great: http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/stor...idProduct=3141

I notice my uploads are taken down, i am the the process of reuploading
    If you like any of my uploads, be sure to hit the "Thanks" button
    Every month i try to add new games. For my list of uploads, check out here
    Need your console modded?, check out my store here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zer0-2k11 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah I've a old mobo with a parallel port laying around and also one with a seriel port, so that wouldn't be a problem.
    I'd prefer to make one on my own to get some more know how.
    The one mentioned above isn't in stock atm and the shipment would cost me 45$, so 80$ in total that's a bit too expensive.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I am afraid that the Fun-card programmer will not work for you. I am guessing you mentioned it because it is the easiest, but it does not have the PIC connections, just ISCP.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

No worries you're right with your guess. Can you take a look at the link and tell me which programmers would be fine?
    I'm also open for another suggest

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I did look at the site and don't like any of them. All are old, some refer to huge VPP voltages, some aren't for pics at all and many require external hardware.
    I will have a Google around to see if i can find a better one.
    In the meantime, a few questions:
    How much do you want to spend?
    How much capability do you need?
    How complex are you willing to build?

I want to suugest you buy a cheap one on eBay that supports the 12fxxx series of pics. I use my Willem eeprom programmer for PICs and my arduino duemilenove for programming MCUs, but you may not or never need all of that power.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Atm I'm just looking for a small programmer for my 12F629 and nothing else. My hope was that I can make one on my own for a few bucks (5-10$)
    What you mean with complex? It wouldn't be a problem to spent some time building the programmer, I've a soldering iron and other accessories for the job.
    However if you tell me a programmer like the Willem is suitable for the most or all PICs and it's just like 20 or 30$ more expensive I'll think about it. Since I'm interested in such things, but it wouldn't be a problem to make one now and buy a more expensive one in the future.
    Last edited by JaDude; 25th-November-2013 at 13:59.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

How about this one:
    http://electronics4everyone.blogspot...rogrammer.html

It covers the 12f62x series and a few others as well. It is simple and small, but I think you will get more use out of it in the future granted you build it strong enough to last storage in a shoe box (where most of my projects end up).

It is also the only that I could find which listed the 12f62x exclusively.

If you are still interested in the Willem programmers, you can find some cheaper clones all over the world on ebay. They are going to be more expensive than you had hoped, but will get a lot of use on many other projects.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for your time and effort that ones looks good
    I'll keep the Willem in mind and come back to that one later when I need more functions.
    Could take a while to grab all the stuff I need for the JDM-Programmer, but I can report back here after I'm done, if you like.