Page 254 of 265 FirstFirst ... 154204244249250251252253254255256257258259264 ... LastLast
Results 3,796 to 3,810 of 3970

Thread: The Sprung Out - Oh, to be seventy again.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ikusagami View Post
    You obviously haven't read around too many PC forums or the comments sections on youtube videos for PC exclusive games.

And why would you want a shitty PS4 kiddy machine?
    PC MASTER RACE!!!
    RELEASE THE BAN-HAMMAH!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTime View Post
    Either Point & Click games are being innovative or they are being very lazy. Sure, using another medium such as a book as the source of a game isn't a bad idea, it's how many will be made before that gets obvious and a cop out is the question.
    Feel free to tell me what "classics" were also based off book and other forms of media so my opinion becomes moot.
    I think that the point-and-click adventure game genre has stagnated to the point that the only people who really play them anymore are the purists, or the people who absolutely love them and have played them all of their lives. In order to draw in new players, you need to make something that is accessible and interesting for everyone, and is good. Telltale has proven that they can do that with The Walking Dead (their games before that largely went under the radar). They are in the process of proving that they can make a successful followup with The Wolf Among Us, and Game of Thrones has such a rabid fanbase thanks to the series that it could potentially bring in millions of new players.

There's no problem using other mediums as source material provided that the games themselves offer a new experience. I don't know enough about point-and-click games to list off any classics that are based off other mediums, but I'm sure they're out there. If a game is well made and good, it really doesn't matter in my opinion.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ikusagami View Post
    You obviously haven't read around too many PC forums or the comments sections on youtube videos for PC exclusive games.
    Fuck opinions that can be made by, drunken, drugged, half-assed assumptions about what they "feel" is correct.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Also, seems like Telltale finally confirmed they're working on an episodic series of Game of Thrones for release next year.

https://twitter.com/telltalegames/st...80716628393985
    Spoiler: people you don't want to see die will die.

Thanks
    EP Points

Fuck opinions that can be made by, drunken, drugged, half-assed assumptions about what they "feel" is correct.
    That's actually. . . pretty accurate.
    Anyway, in case I was misunderstood, all I was saying was that Drag's reaction was understandable considering it's easy to misinterpret people who are saying the same thing you find all over the internet, except without the rabid vitriol.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    I think that the point-and-click adventure game genre has stagnated to the point that the only people who really play them anymore are the purists, or the people who absolutely love them and have played them all of their lives. In order to draw in new players, you need to make something that is accessible and interesting for everyone, and is good. Telltale has proven that they can do that with The Walking Dead (their games before that largely went under the radar). They are in the process of proving that they can make a successful followup with The Wolf Among Us, and Game of Thrones has such a rabid fanbase thanks to the series that it could potentially bring in millions of new players.

There's no problem using other mediums as source material provided that the games themselves offer a new experience. I don't know enough about point-and-click games to list off any classics that are based off other mediums, but I'm sure they're out there. If a game is well made and good, it really doesn't matter in my opinion.
    Now this is a good one.
    I do understand the need to bring a new crowd to a genre of gaming that has been so simplistic the story is what drives the game. However, the usual thing happens, the general populace looks at the proprietor of such games as a prophet and now the newer line-up is either a rip-off or isn't "as good" as aforementioned games. So when you look for an honest review or an opinion for a different crowd, it's bashed on until the developers fall from the face of Earth. Now a good game is a good game in all respects, it's the players that I am wary of.
    I hope it doesn't go that way and all the money-grubbing whores just jump on the bandwagon. Some originality should stay a priority for those types of games, generally.
    Last edited by Sheik; 8th-December-2013 at 03:34.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Now this is a good one.
    I do understand the need to bring a new crowd to a genre of gaming that has been so simplistic the story is what drives the game. However, the usual thing happens, the general populace looks at the proprietor of such games as a prophet and now the newer line-up is either a rip-off or isn't "as good" as aforementioned games. So when you look for an honest review or an opinion for a different crowd, it's bashed on until the developers fall from the face of Earth. Now a good game is a good game in all respects, it's the players that I am wary of.
    You aren't going to please everyone. Community reviews are notoriously lopsided, and every major series suffers from this. If I'm to believe the hivemind, then Call of Duty is a massive pile of shit and people should be ashamed of playing it, Mass Effect is the worst goddamn game in the world and a travesty to the people who loyally bought the first two games and EA owes us a new car and a blowjob for having to sit through that shit, Skyrim is the greatest thing to ever grace gamers' hands, and Demon's Souls/Dark Souls is fucking impossible and if you can beat it you're a master god of gaming.

I don't understand what your argument is there, because something is based on a popular movie/book/comic and does well, it somehow makes the overall experience bad for everyone. Because TWD was so good and Telltale is doing another game based on a popular series, this is spelling doom because people might say it's not as good as the first game, and therefore you won't be able to find an honest review because everything you're reading on the Internet is skewing your view? I'm really not following the logic...

Thanks
    EP Points

Telltale is awesome for what what they're doing (sure I haven't played TWD yet but my hard-to-please brother loved it so yeah), and bringing in new people is good, but I'm not sure if the classic point and click genre is really stagnating. There's a definite, sizable audience still for these games, evidenced by the myriad of successful indie projects and Kickstarters, so it's easier to just cater to the fans. Hell the new Broken Sword just came out the other day, and they're doing a remake of Gabriel Knight, there's also Broken Age and Moebius, and the titles from Wadjet Eye Games are leading the indie point and click scene. So basically what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't call this a stagnation, just sticking to what you're good at and what the fans want.

In other news, I'm rambling!

Thanks
    EP Points

Btw the Discworld games are based on Terry Pratchett's books, but that's the only one I can think of right now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Point and click games: for when you want to play a visual novel but want the added bonus of reading a .txt file.

Thanks
    EP Points

Is it me or is that thingie to change the name gone?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Btw the Discworld games are based on Terry Pratchett's books, but that's the only one I can think of right now.
    I read a few of his Discworld novels in jail.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Polizzi View Post
    Is it me or is that thingie to change the name gone?
    It's gone afaik.

Thanks
    EP Points

aw :/
    who's leg do i have to hump to get a name change around here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Telltale is awesome for what what they're doing (sure I haven't played TWD yet but my hard-to-please brother loved it so yeah), and bringing in new people is good, but I'm not sure if the classic point and click genre is really stagnating. There's a definite, sizable audience still for these games, evidenced by the myriad of successful indie projects and Kickstarters, so it's easier to just cater to the fans. Hell the new Broken Sword just came out the other day, and they're doing a remake of Gabriel Knight, there's also Broken Age and Moebius, and the titles from Wadjet Eye Games are leading the indie point and click scene. So basically what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't call this a stagnation, just sticking to what you're good at and what the fans want.

In other news, I'm rambling!
    I was referring to stagnation in terms of acquiring a new audience and the people still playing them. There's definitely a hardcore audience for them (hell, Double Fine kind of pointed that out last year), but no one was really pushing forward into the "mainstream" audience (that is, those who didn't already play point-and-click) outside of Telltale, which is what you need if you want to grow your audience. I highly doubt The Wolf Among Us is going to receive any of the critical claim that TWD received, and it's definitely not going to do as well as TWD in terms of fan reception (because TWD fanbase isn't going to be entirely behind this one), but if only 10% of people who bought TWD continue on to other point-and-click games, then they've just acquired ~800K new gamers.