Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castlevania series question

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Castlevania series question

Is there any games in the series that DO NOT put you under a time limit for playing levels? The series(at a glance) has always looked rather interesting to me, but I really really hate being under a time limit when playing a game. The other problem i'd have if i started playing this series, is that i'm not real sure what order the games go in(since some are just remakes)

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd have to ask if you have played any to begin with, not just as a marker to know what to offer, but also to see if you just don't like time limits in general, or the time limits that CV has.

Generally speaking, there are almost no levels in Castlevania where the time limit matters. There a few levels where it might get dicey if you take too long, but for the most part the game is on rails and the timer is insignificant.

There are also tons of games in the series, a lot of which have numerous remakes or alternate versions. I could give you a list of what I consider to be the "Main series" of Castlevania, or I could try and give you a rough estimate of all the CV games I know in the order they should played if you're looking for the complete experience. I'm sure if you googled around there's an official timeline though.

The last point I'd make is that many of the, in my opinion, better CV games don't have time limits and are the Metroidvania games. If you aren't interested in those and only want the oldschool sidescrollers I can take that into account.

I'm not sure where I stand on the heirarchy of CV fans on EP, but I'd say at least the top 3 biggest fans. I'm getting my new tattoo soon and it'll be from a very fond memory of CV.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

I'm genuinely surprised here, Corey. I've played most of the 2-D games (BEATEN C3 WITHOUT GETTING KILLED HURR HURR HURR) and I've never even noticed the time limits. :O Oh, oh, make lists! Loads of them!

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

I just flat don't like time limits in games in general. Old or new, doesn't really matter game wise.

Thanks
    EP Points

If you're totally opposed to time limits in any way, I would still say just try out Castlevania. The original on NES is super fun, it's easy to get on an NES emu, and if you don't look at it, the time limit really isn't even there. If that really bothers you enough that you just can't play it, even knowing the time limit is insignificant, there a few games I can recommend right now from the series with not time limit that are a blast.

For an oldschool style 2D sidescroller, Castlevania Dracula X is awesome. It doesn't have a time limit either. I'd suggest atarting there.
    If you want just a really solid game, and still be in the CV universe, hands down it's Symphony of the Night. I own 3 different versions of this game in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised here, Corey. I've played most of the 2-D games (BEATEN C3 WITHOUT GETTING KILLED HURR HURR HURR) and I've never even noticed the time limits. :O Oh, oh, make lists! Loads of them!
    Surprised about what? I've always been into CV. My first avatar here was the crappy Alucard one. All my photos and my youtube account are under the name of a website called Worldbeyondwalls, which a long time ago was a shitty forum where me and a couple dudes sat around breaking CV games. I am too nerdy for CV.
    Last edited by Corey; 28th-October-2013 at 17:33.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    If you're totally opposed to time limits in any way, I would still say just try out Castlevania. The original on NES is super fun, it's easy to get on an NES emu, and if you don't look at it, the time limit really isn't even there. If that really bothers you enough that you just can't play it, even knowing the time limit is insignificant, there a few games I can recommend right now from the series with not time limit that are a blast.

For an oldschool style 2D sidescroller, Castlevania Dracula X is awesome. It doesn't have a time limit either. I'd suggest atarting there.
    If you want just a really solid game, and still be in the CV universe, hands down it's Symphony of the Night. I own 3 different versions of this game in real life.

Surprised about what? I've always been into CV. My first avatar here was the crappy Alucard one. All my photos and my youtube account are under the name of a website called Worldbeyondwalls, which a long time ago was a shitty forum where me and a couple dudes sat around breaking CV games. I am too nerdy for CV.
    Oh no, I knew that very well. I meant the fact that time limits apparently exist. Like, in the original NES games. Or, well, the series in general. I've never noticed.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    Oh no, I knew that very well. I meant the fact that time limits apparently exist. Like, in the original NES games. Or, well, the series in general. I've never noticed.
    Yeah, none of them ever mattered except for like one or two levels, and even then you had to be dragging your ass pretty hard.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    I just flat don't like time limits in games in general. Old or new, doesn't really matter game wise.
    Well, if you'd like to try one of the better classic sidescroller styled castlevanias, you could do Super Castlevania 4 (SNES) with this gamegenie code to disable the time limit;

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. If you'd like to try a more RPG styled one (maps, leveling up, different weapons and armor to find, etc), you might check out Symphony Of The Night (PS1); this one has no time limits anywhere.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

CV Rondo of Blood for the PC Engine Super CD has no time limit. It's fairly linear but has multiple paths you can take at various points which gives it some replay value. It also has a few hidden characters to find. One of which is playable. Another thing, I think this was the first version that introduced many of the enemies that were in all of the 2D versions to follow. Great game, great music.

When fighting the Grim Reaper on the ship level, keep an eye on his animations when he recedes into the background. Fucking cool for it's time
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks

For the classic NES games and Super Castlevania IV... the time limit is kinda... just there. You really have to go out your way to actually run it out. I imagine it's main purpose is for bonus points at the end of each stage. The Metroidvanias though, which are Symphony of the Night and beyond, have no timer whatsoever... so you're free to go about the games in your own pace... well moreso than you already could.

The only real Castlevania game with a hard time limit is the N64 ones where you need to beat the game under a certain time to fight against the true last boss... but even then, there is no real hurry in finishing anything.

Thanks
    EP Points

Here is a quick run down of which games do and do not have a visible time limit.

Castlevania (NES) - Visible time limit
    Vampire Killer (MSX) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES) - No visible time limit, however there are two endings. The "bad" ending only shows up if you take too long to beat the game. However, the differences in the two endings are not really that big of a deal.
    Haunted Castle (Arcade) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania: The Adventure (GB) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (GB) - Visible time limit
    Super Castlevania IV (SNES) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania: Rondo no Blood (PCE) - No time limit
    Castlevania Bloodlines (SG/MD) - No time limit
    Castlevania Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss (SNES) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) - No time limit
    Castlevania Legends (GB) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania 64 (N64) - No visible time limit, however there is an allotted time to make it to the final boss.
    Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64) - No time limit, though there may be a similar time limit to Castlevania 64... never finished this one, myself.
    Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA) - No time limit
    Castlevania Chronicles (PS1) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2/Xbox) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS) - No time limit
    Castlevania Judgment (Wii) - Time limit. This is a 3D fighting game, so the rounds have standard time limits to them.
    Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (XBLA/PSN) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (360/PS3/PC) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (3DS) - No time limit

The above list drops several ports, but these are the main games in the series. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Mumei; 12th-November-2013 at 19:44.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mumei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mumei
    • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES) - No visible time limit, however there are two endings. The "bad" ending only shows up if you take too long to beat the game. However, the differences in the two endings are not really that big of a deal.
    I really like this one. I've long thought of it as being underrated and kinda unique in the Castlevania series. Particularly for its era.
    Quote Originally Posted by rainwarrior
    Sometimes just the idea of a game is enough. You don't really have to play it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mumei View Post
    Here is a quick run down of which games do and do not have a visible time limit.

Castlevania (NES) - Visible time limit
    Vampire Killer (MSX) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES) - No visible time limit, however there are two endings. The "bad" ending only shows up if you take too long to beat the game. However, the differences in the two endings are not really that big of a deal.
    Haunted Castle (Arcade) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania: The Adventure (GB) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (GB) - Visible time limit
    Super Castlevania IV (SNES) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania: Rondo no Blood (PCE) - No time limit
    Castlevania Bloodlines (SG/MD) - No time limit
    Castlevania Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss (SNES) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) - No time limit
    Castlevania Legends (GB) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania 64 (N64) - No visible time limit, however there is an allotted time to make it to the final boss.
    Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64) - No time limit, though there may be a similar time limit to Castlevania 64... never finished this one, myself.
    Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA) - No time limit
    Castlevania Chronicles (PS1) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2/Xbox) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS) - No time limit
    Castlevania Judgment (Wii) - Time limit. This is a 3D fighting game, so the rounds have standard time limits to them.
    Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (XBLA/PSN) - Visible time limit
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (360/PS3/PC) - No time limit
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (3DS) - No time limit

The above list drops several ports, but these are the main games in the series. Hope this helps!
    Holy shit. Somebody's been doing their homework
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks

Now that we're talking about Castlevania, I'd like to know where else can I play with Alucard? I played with him on Castlevania - Symphony of The Night (PSX) and at the end Alucard walks away saying that his blood is cursed, and then the game ends, I want to continue the story or at least to know what happened with him.
    12 Gauge Super Shotgun

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    . I'm getting my new tattoo soon and it'll be from a very fond memory of CV.
    Death makes for an awesome tramp stamp!