Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castlevania series question

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MadZiontist View Post
    I really like this one. I've long thought of it as being underrated and kinda unique in the Castlevania series. Particularly for its era.
    I agree! There are some frustrating aspects such as the lying town folk and the odd choices involving ducking by a cliff or holding a gem by water, however the game is a true successor to the more modern 2D Castlevania titles!

Quote Originally Posted by retrofiber View Post
    Holy shit. Somebody's been doing their homework
    I've been playing the series since the first game on the NES. One of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    Now that we're talking about Castlevania, I'd like to know where else can I play with Alucard? I played with him on Castlevania - Symphony of The Night (PSX) and at the end Alucard walks away saying that his blood is cursed, and then the game ends, I want to continue the story or at least to know what happened with him.
    Alucard's first appearance as a playable character is Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. You can pick him up later in the game, but don't expect Symphony of the Night gameplay! He plays a bit more like a classic take on Dracula. Alucard is also playable in Harmony of Despair. Other than that, he makes cameos as a renamed character in both Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow.
    Last edited by Mumei; 13th-November-2013 at 02:19.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mumei View Post
    Alucard's first appearance as a playable character is Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. You can pick him up later in the game, but don't expect Symphony of the Night gameplay! He plays a bit more like a classic take on Dracula. Alucard is also playable in Harmony of Despair. Other than that, he makes cameos as a renamed character in both Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow.
    He is also a main character in Castlevania - Lords of Shadow:Mirror of Fate.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    He is also a main character in Castlevania - Lords of Shadow:Mirror of Fate.
    True. I almost didn't include the Lords of Shadow games, though, since they are a reboot of the franchise.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

True. I almost didn't include the Lords of Shadow games, though, since they are a reboot of the franchise.
    So was Super Castlevania 4, it only matters if the game was good or not. It was meh, but that's besides the point

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    So was Super Castlevania 4, it only matters if the game was good or not. It was meh, but that's besides the point
    I see Castlevania IV as less of a reboot and more of a retelling of the original story. It does little in the way of changing the already established history of the original NES trilogy. Now, Haunted Castle on the other hand really doesn't fit anywhere in the main timeline. It is a retelling of the original game, only with a completely different goal in mind.

As far as Mirror of Fate goes, not a bad game, but I really did not care for the character sizes and the whip range. It just felt off on the 3DS. I do enjoy the Lords of Shadow series even if it was not originally meant to be a Castlevania series at all.

Thanks

I've been playing the series since the first game on the NES. One of my favorites!
    Not to revive a dying thread...(but wouldn't that be kind of appropriate for a Castlevania discussion..?) I too have been playing this franchise since the original was released in the U.S. in the late 80's, but I had no idea there were so many versions. The most familiar to me are 1,2, IV, Rondo, and Symphony, and are all great. Unfortunately I never put much time into 3, and found the Genesis version and all of the 3D versions that followed blasphemous. I will hopefully, eventually, use the list provided by Mumei to catch up. I would like to give the genesis version another shot as well..
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by retrofiber View Post
    Not to revive a dying thread...(but wouldn't that be kind of appropriate for a Castlevania discussion..?) I too have been playing this franchise since the original was released in the U.S. in the late 80's, but I had no idea there were so many versions. The most familiar to me are 1,2, IV, Rondo, and Symphony, and are all great. Unfortunately I never put much time into 3, and found the Genesis version and all of the 3D versions that followed blasphemous. I will hopefully, eventually, use the list provided by Mumei to catch up. I would like to give the genesis version another shot as well..
    I've been following the series since the beginning as well. I have to admit that the two games I never finished were Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance. I pulled out my old GBA SP the other day and started them back up. I highly recommend Castlevania III, Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow.

Though the Genesis one seems like a complete departure, it actually fits in nicely later on in the series. Bloodlines is a sequel to the Dracula novel. After Bloodlines the next game to play is Portrait of Ruin.

Thanks

I've been following the series since the beginning as well. I have to admit that the two games I never finished were Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance. I pulled out my old GBA SP the other day and started them back up. I highly recommend Castlevania III, Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow.

Though the Genesis one seems like a complete departure, it actually fits in nicely later on in the series. Bloodlines is a sequel to the Dracula novel. After Bloodlines the next game to play is Portrait of Ruin.
    Of course...How could I forget all the handheld versions? I finished Circle of the Moon, but would never play through that again. I revisit HoD every now and then, but just can't seem to find ways to unlock a handful of door. Aria of Sorrow is great but I just haven't put much time into it. Not sure I ever played Dawn, and of course Portrait of Ruin is great, but I just cant beat the last boss. Man, now I'm gonna have to revisit all of these
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    EP Points

Circle of the Moon was quite interesting I actually managed to get 100% without the Internet :>. Not only that but I got Nathan up to the highest level and got the best gear.

This is the only Castlevania game I've gotten 100% on and got my character to the highest level (when the game is RPG style).

The only thing I semi-disliked was the DSS and constantly changing (although eventually I settled on the Holy Whip combo) it. Other than that pretty good game to get into the series without much difficulty as the game is fairly easy.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    Now that we're talking about Castlevania, I'd like to know where else can I play with Alucard? I played with him on Castlevania - Symphony of The Night (PSX) and at the end Alucard walks away saying that his blood is cursed, and then the game ends, I want to continue the story or at least to know what happened with him.
    Sounds like you only saw the first ending. Go for more map completion before beating Richter for the second ending.
    Next look for Silver Ring and Gold Ring, which have hints on their descriptions. They lead you to an item that can open up a new area of the game. Then depending on map completion you can get 2 more endings for 4 total, not that they give you a ton more story on Alucard... :p
    Last edited by skullpoker; 26th-November-2013 at 08:01.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.