Thread: Ys III is there any differences between the Genesis and SNES versions?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Ys III is there any differences between the Genesis and SNES versions?

Title question. Mostly curious if there's any content differences between them, visual differences aren't terribly important to me.

Thanks
    EP Points

You should try the Turbografx-16 CD version. It's my favorite by far. Differences are slight. The intro is a little different on all 3 versions with the turbografix-16 CD being the best of the three although the voiceovers are horrific. There are some minor name and location name differences but besides that they play almost identical.
    I'm listening but I don't hear very much...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mailmann006 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Ahh I see, thanks for the info. I'm actually currently collecting roms of the series and will be starting at the beginning(completely new to the series), I was just looking for info on this one to try to pick what version of it I wanted. As for the Turbrografx-16 CD version.....well i'm afraid I have NO IDEA what a Turbografx is, or if/how it could even be emulated . So far I've settled on the DS remake pack of I & II, the SNES version of III, skipping IV(don't like the idea of running into enemies to attack.....) the "expert" version of V on the SNES with a translation patch, and Ys: The ark of Napishtim on the PS2.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 25th-October-2013 at 12:13.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    As for the Turbrografx-16 CD version.....well i'm afraid I have NO IDEA what a Turbografx is, or if/how it could even be emulated .
    TurboGrafx-16 (TG16) is what PC Engine (PCE) is known as in NA.
    You know how MegaDrive is known as Genesis there? Just a different name for God knows whatever reason(s)

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

ah, I see. Funny enough I actually need to finish my playthroughs of Terranigma and Soul Blazer as well, so i'm actually not sure when I will be starting this series. I'm mostly just collecting info and roms for when I can get around to it. Any suggestions for other action style RPG games?
    Last edited by rmcin329; 25th-October-2013 at 12:51.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hardcore Gaming 101 has a very detailed feature on all the Ys games and shows the differences between the various Ys III versions. The Oath in Felghana is a remake of III and is available on PSP and Steam.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kool Aid Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

hmmn, wasn't aware of the PSP version. I'll try picking up PPSSPP, though i'm not sure what the system requirements are, and doing a brief test to see if it runs on there(still planning to play through series from the start)
    Last edited by rmcin329; 26th-October-2013 at 00:17.

Thanks

TG 16/PC Engine is usually the way to go when it comes to the old Y's games. Especially if the music means anything to you. That series changed my life
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by retrofiber View Post
    Y's
    BLASPHEMY!!!!!

It's Ys. 'Postraphe only comes after the s if it's pluralized.
    *kicked for Falcom fetishist pedantry*

They also remade Ys III on PS2, which I've heard tell is better than the 16/32bit versions with their wonky hit detection. I haven't played it yet, myself, but it does look much better, and obviously controls better.

IV and V got PS2 versions too, by Taito I believe, but most people say they are far inferior to the older iterations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ikusagami View Post
    BLASPHEMY!!!!!

It's Ys. 'Postraphe only comes after the s if it's pluralized.
    *kicked for Falcom fetishist pedantry*

They also remade Ys III on PS2, which I've heard tell is better than the 16/32bit versions with their wonky hit detection. I haven't played it yet, myself, but it does look much better, and obviously controls better.

IV and V got PS2 versions too, by Taito I believe, but most people say they are far inferior to the older iterations.
    Yes, you are correct. I would have never made that mistake 20 yrs ago. And I think I DL'd that version of Ys 3 and never got around to playing it. Thanks for reminding
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ikusagami View Post
    I am aware of the ps2 version however i can't read Japanese and as far as I am aware, none of the Ys games on the PS2 have translation patches.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 15th-November-2013 at 08:32.

Thanks

I am aware of the ps2 version however i can't read Japanese and as far as I am aware, none of the Ys games on the PS2 have translation patches.
    Well, if the PS2 version is anything like the TG16 version, there's no need for translation, as the game is pretty damn linear. When the PC Engine version was first released, me and a friend both ordered it and beat it within a week. I ended up buying the American version when it was finally released. A couple years later I sold the American version cuz the story didn't mean shit to me and the voice acting was fucking horrible. I still have the Japanese version though. Paid like $80+ for that shit back in the day.