Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xbox hdd replacing

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Question xbox hdd replacing

I asked how to fix a hdd a while back now I want to know if I can format 1 from a usb case I'm getting a usb cable will the xbox read it as a mem unit and could I format it fatx that way and is there another way other than xboxhd maker to partition the hard drive via usb no pc [only 1 in house that works can't run linux win95 tried working new hdd still unidentified module backing out of xbhdm] will run it .
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope from usb
    Yes as an alt to xboxhdd makerer but the more secure way is via a PC but as it's not working or you missed something I will outline the alt method

Xbox USB can be used to read a USB memstick but not all usb sticks work, use at your own risk

... actually here is a youtube vid

Please note that not all HDD's are lockable so not all HDD's will work

You need two power sources as both drives need power at the same time, this can be done several way in the vid he is using a PC power source for one of the drives you can use a power splitter if you like or the power from a USB case any way to get power to both at once will work though

This is a hot swap method used and xbox homebrew so you need to softmod the original HDD first you also need to the homebrew chimp that is linked in the vid description on youtube

Anyway I wish you all the best and hopefully this time everything will work out
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-October-2013 at 09:54.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

myhdd is a samsung 400gb hdd lockable work's on v1.0 I'll specify my xbhdm problem more I click on a number for the resolution error is says decompressing linux....OK than it boots me out of the whole thing is the lcd emerson tv monitor I'm using or is the problem soully the tower's fault cause I've burned the disc with the new box's eeprom c and e files so I was wondering if usb would let me use xplorer360 to put the files in the hdd like on factory model then find a way to lock it and than stick it in the xbox.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

already answered your Q

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

On first one I think my pc is too old to run linux cause I got the C file E file and eeprom.bin file from the newer xbox giving old one with new 8gb hdd to nephew and burnt the disc at 4x like too said even tried 1.5x and it didn't work still had backing out problem. So on the option you prescribed do you know anyone who got it to work with a third party controller I'm trying to budget between gaming and food purchases and don't need two controllers laying around [kitchenette/apartment very limited space].
    Last edited by soratron; 26th-October-2013 at 06:30.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It doesn't work with 3rd party controllers, I tested it with a clone xbox controller and a PSX/PS2 to xbox converter neither would respond.

As for a machine that is too old for Linux that is just silly, it may be an issue with the drive reading the CD-R though

The eeprom can't be used from one xbox with another xbox, each machine has it's own eeprom.

As a guide to burning any CD-R you are best off setting the burn speed to 1x and letting the hardware detect the slowest burning speed, for me that would be 10x others that may be 8x or 12x older drives would be exactly 1x

There is plenty of info online that states 4x for burning (this is pointless info now, it was at the time as well) but at the time most drives burned at 4x at the slowest burning speed so at the time that was the best burning speed for drives made around that time, but hardware has changed plenty since then and it is no longer possible to even burn at that speed
    Last edited by Zorlon; 26th-October-2013 at 09:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks I guess I'll buy second controller than and I'm modding the new one the old one I don't have eeprom reader so I still can't get eeprom and I'm going to install new one's 8gb to replace the old one I fried burn a few games and give 'em to my nephew. On the cd-r reading only cd I have is a rw when I get an r one I'll try again with the reader see if that helps problem again thanks for your input.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No harm in having a second controller anyway there are a number of 2 player games even more if you plan to use the xbox as an emulator machine

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Bit off note but can you help me with coinops 5 standalone I can't seem to get past the red ring and I really don't know where the arcade roms go do I need to unzip em and where do I put the genesis and snes rom?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No idea what red ring you are talking about, coinops arcade roms go in the roms sub folder of coinops and must be kept zipped up

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

When it starts up the ring on the open button goes from orange to red and I'm stuck at a sepia toned coinops 5 screen with street fighter in the background.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

At a guess because I haven't had my xbox on for a little while that is what it is does anyway (make the ring go red) just sounds like you either don't have the roms in the correct folder or you have incorrect rom versions

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hey I just did xb live update by accident in doom 3 now my softmod won't load I just get a white screen can I fix this or do I now need to hardmod?
    Will it work again if I use mech assault softmod? doom 3 is still on the hard drive is there a way ftp or get into the hdd to remove it?
    fixed it loaded older sid installer if i add a modchip to other xbox that I'm gettin' rid of will it ust let me plop in any hdd without the eeprom?
    Last edited by soratron; 30th-October-2013 at 05:13.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have never known anyone mess up even half as much as you

Happy you sorted it out though and yes providing there is no hardware problems with the bricked xbox everything should work with a mod chip

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

On the fact that the other one doesn't show any error number on the new one when I hit update.xbe it csme up with 21 is this a sign that the hdd is bad on old one or the motherboard since it had no number? oh and can you tell me how to get my skins to stay I save in options reset and it goes back to default same after games. PS both xbox are v1.0 ntsc M.