Thread: Half Life Dreamcast issue.

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation Half Life Dreamcast issue.

Hi all, i have burned Half Life to be used on my Dreamcast which is a HKT 3030 PAL model, it plays backups no problem, and i found that this game will not even boot when i use Scart, but will when using RCA.

Now i have a new problem, here is the image below.

22102013596.jpg

Any help is fantastic, thanks

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I would try another copy for that game as it should have no issues using scart and I know some games do (mostly jap games), but this is not one of them, unless I patched it but I'm sure I didn't.

If I did patch it though I used PAL patcher by Megalexxx

http://members.multimania.co.uk/megalexxx/ the site was down when I just checked though but that is his official site

My Dreamcast is also PAL and used to use SCART myself (it's all I used for a long time and never had the original RF by the time I got Half-Life, though I may of had A/V Yellow red/White cables as well), now I use VGA more because of the picture quality

I have never seen that exact error before either that I can remember it can be a bit unstable in places and give error messages not so different, but it is a beta, no area is unplayable though, normally a re-load (system reboot) and continue play as normal would work, I have played both Half-Life and Blue Burst through in the past on my Dreamcast.

Because I remember this though if you save as soon as a new load screen is done it should help the saves from getting too big. if you save too often or deep into a loaded area the saves can become too big for the VMU, this also helps prevent saves from getting corrupt as corrupted saves will also end up giving an error message like that as well.

I can double check the SCART thing another time if you like (when I get time to dig out the scart cable for the dreamcast as I'm not sure where that may be at the moment) but I would be willing to do a fresh burn of it anyway as I have a better version to what I used to play (the file sort is supposed to be improved for faster load times)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-October-2013 at 19:04.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Cheers for your information Zorlon, i will indeed find another copy, i have been burning a few other games today with much success, so i know it is not the burn process that has made this fail.

Tested Resident Evil 2 and 3, and F1 Grand Prix.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Out of interest what are you burning with (software wise)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

IMGburn using the Disc juggler plugin at 8x speed (lowest my burner will do with my Maxell CD-r's)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah that should be fine for all Dreamcast burns (Nero Dreamcast images (*.nrg) would need to be converted though as would Alcohol images but these should be rare now cdi is still the best format for Dreamcast images)

I asked because discjuggler it self sometimes asks for images to be repaired and for that you need to say no, but ImgBurn is fine

The Dreamcast can be fussy over media used but in general almost all CD-R's are fine, but higher quality ones are going to last longer cheaper ones tend to start peeling on the top surface the label side, but that also has all the data stored on it as well.

It may of still just of been a poorly burned disc, a spec of dust on the disc or a small scratch that prevented it from burning correctly, that can happen with any pack of discs no matter the brand or quality standard.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-October-2013 at 21:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I use IMGburn for pretty much everything when it comes to burning.

I will download a new image of Half Life and see what happens from there anyway.

Thanks once again.