Thread: Play Gamecube Games from SD Card on GAMECUBE NOT WII

Thanks

Default Play Gamecube Games from SD Card on GAMECUBE NOT WII

Is there a way to play Gamecube games from an SD card on a GAMECUBE, NOT A WII? I've only been able to find ways to do it on a Wii, but is it possible on an actual gamecube?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yes, you can.
    Last time I looked not all games are compatible though

You need the SD Media Launcher adapter (I think Datel made one, maybe there are some Chinese clones idk).
    Up to 2GB non-SDHC cards work iirc.

Edit:
    Quickly googled for a game compatibility list...
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Ok, looks like SD Gecko would work too.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 20th-October-2013 at 18:12.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

instead of launching games from SD you can use that as an exploit to run games from DVD-R/+R (you can buy mini DVD's (DVD-R's the same size as gamecube discs, mostly used for Video Camera's back in the day))

Compat is better that way, though some games will still lag but very few do.

And wow that compat list is some what messed up, do note though that some results are from the Wii and some are from the GameCube.

GC game discs are up to 1.4GB so a 2GB SD card will only fit 1 full sized GameCube disc on at a time, though there are a number of games that are on 2 discs and a number that do not get even close to filling a full disc so you will be able to have a few games on the SD if those are small enough after trimming.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-October-2013 at 18:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Of course, use emu_kidid's swiss for GameCube, you'll need an SD Gecko or SD media launcher card> (Datel's SD Gecko). Check out gc-forever while your at it.
    My Video Game Codes

“Evil cannot create anything new, it can only distort and destroy what was invented or created by the forces of good.”

― JRR Tolkien

Thanks
    EP Points

If you're going to be limited to 2gb SD cards and buying separate discs to burn, you might really consider saving up for an original wii (they're maybe $60 used, look around). The convenience of being able to run games off much larger cards (as well as hard disks), not to mention the plethora of great emulators available on it, isn't to be underestimated :p
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"