Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RE: Just purchased Sturmwind - Plan on 'cracking' the protection, if possible

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by b2p1mp View Post
    Sturmwind is great but I think I prefer Sine Mora as well. For one it can be run easily on androids. My dreamcast needs some laser tweaking or replacement soon and I still haven't gotten CDR's. Even if I made a version of Sturmwind, it would be a pain for me to get the disc out, and make my crappy DC work. My dreamcast needs about a 10 minute warm up period. I use an audio disc in the system to get the thing nice and warmed up. After this warm up period, games boot much easier for me with my laser problems.
    I just got a new Dreamcast well pre owned, and gave the laser pot a quick tweek jobs a good one.

I kinda broke my old Dreamcast, just kept it for parts

Quote Originally Posted by farlucco View Post
    i'll follow that method so....
    thanks for the answer!

I'll try and let you know if works for me!
    thanks!

EDIT:

i try and it works!!!!
    its work perfect!!!
    many thanks zorlon for your explanation,really simple and,off course,for your work,the bat is perfect and easy to use!!!!
    the games is really good...imho one of the best shooter for the dc ,but i prefer horizontal shooters (thunderforce Soldner X2 sine mora ,ecc..),so i'm biased....
    Thank you for your reply to confirm it works

Not sure about it being best for the Dreamcast but it is good one kinda reminds me of Project X (An Amiga shooter) in the way you don't need to start it from scratch but redo the last level you failed on, the game is challenging even on easy, not that I got far into it but so far does not seem to be too hard like some shooters are

I do like the added unlocking bonus Materials (Art work) and Achievements thing also that is a nice added touch to it, not that I have ever played a game just for the achievements even my 360 and PS3 most the games I have played do not have 100% achievements mostly because I have finished with the game and don't want to play them again just to unlock extra achievements

EDIT:-

Put up a copy of this in our uploads section, now it is confirmed as working using the files I uploaded (though I make no claim to those files myself) using the batch files that I did indeed create myself.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-March-2014 at 18:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Unfortunately, I can't get it to work. I am functionally illiterate, in regards to any of this and can't decipher the instructions properly.

I have stared at the bat files, grasping nothing whatsoever. I have the files, I hit bat, no numbers or information in which to apply to the notepad, or where to apply and these hash tags, ### ...?

So, I am the type who is screwed as this might as well be martian.

Oh well, I will wait until someone breaks this open properly or find it in a land fill.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The numbers are shown in the dos/command prompt window, if none are shown, what is shown there?

P.S. you can right click on the command prompt windows move the mouse to Edit then left click on select all, press the enter key then paste it into a replay

the command prompts windows instructs you as you go

As I said it is almost idiot proof, it's not totally though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-March-2014 at 18:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    The numbers are shown in the dos/command prompt window, if none are shown, what is shown there?

P.S. you can right click on the command prompt windows move the mouse to Edit then left click on select all, press the enter key then paste it into a replay

the command prompts windows instructs you as you go

As I said it is almost idiot proof, it's not totally though
    Well, the DOS command lines are stating something to the effect that there is no CD drive to read, though I have an external drive plugged into a USB on my laptop. I suppose I should use my desktop.

"P.S. you can right click on the command prompt windows move the mouse to Edit then left click on select all, press the enter key then paste it into a replay"

This sentence above makes absolutely no sense (to myself). " Move the mouse to Edit" ????? "then paste it into a replay" What is replay? These aren't easy steps when utilizing terms that make no sense to the average person who doesn't know what "replay" is. What is that?

Also, what do I do with these "numbers" once they are scanned and read...write them onto the notepad? For what purpose? How is writing something on a notepad going to affect the process. Do I save the notepad and close it...Do I keep it active, while doing what exactly. What program do I use to burn the cd and what exactly am I burning to what program to make the CD?

My understanding is that the purpose of the "bat" files is to manipulate the Cd drive to burn at a special speed, such as 1X and this bat is hacking the drive to burn slow. Other than that, just burn the unzipped contents from the "sturmwind" 6 part zip files downloaded into a "sturmwind" file that I create? You state that a sturmwind file will be created, yet when I unzip the contents there is no sturmwind file, just a grouping of files and a boot.

So, without a sturmwind file which you state appears, which doesn't, is there a problem or should I simply create a sturmwind file and place the unzipped file contents inside in which to be burned, or do I forgo the creation of a sturmwind file.

How do I know that the bat executable that I activate, how do I know that the cd drive was hacked. You don't state any cues or what one should observe as the process is followed.

It's not "idiot proof" which would imply that an easy set of steps for a "noob" would be walked out with a basic expression of the purpose of each task.

Thanks for your efforts of course, I just have no orientation to this special language being used, nor do I have any experience with using Notepads and command prompts to hack computer hardware. This may be taken for granted, but without that experience, none of this makes any sense.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lowerlevels View Post
    What is replay?
    It's a typo that should of said reply as in a reply to the post something you just done

Quote Originally Posted by lowerlevels View Post
    Well, the DOS command lines are stating something to the effect that there is no CD drive to read
    Seems that USB CD drives can't be used or detected for this sorry, I was not aware of that myself but understandable as they don't operate the same communication wise compared to internal drives

You don't seem to understand the what the bat file does at all but that does not matter in the slightest you are not ment to understand it in that way but only to understand the instructions

as far as the Sturmwind folder not being created the only reason it would not be create, would be if you told the extraction program not to keep paths, then that is a user error not an instructional error

guess some people just will not get it, most will though you are just an exception, there is nothing special to this in the slightest you just don't have the hardware or rather you have tried this with incompatible hardware

How do I know that the bat executable that I activate, how do I know that the cd drive was hacked. You don't state any cues or what one should observe as the process is followed.
    No idea what you are on about there sorry

This is very much idiot proof but you can't use it if your drive is not detected try with your desktop instead, just because you are failing is not to say that this is not idiot proof

The reason you can't follow the instructions is because the CD drive is not detected you are just failing on the first part

To be honest I think you are just pretending to not understand and are just trying to bug me, it's obvious it's not going to work if it can't even see any CD drives
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-March-2014 at 08:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    It's a typo that should of said reply as in a reply to the post something you just done

Seems that USB CD drives can't be used or detected for this sorry, I was not aware of that myself but understandable as they don't operate the same communication wise compared to internal drives

You don't seem to understand the what the bat file does at all but that does not matter in the slightest you are not ment to understand it in that way but only to understand the instructions

as far as the Sturmwind folder not being created the only reason it would not be create, would be if you told the extraction program not to keep paths, then that is a user error not an instructional error

guess some people just will not get it, most will though you are just an exception, there is nothing special to this in the slightest you just don't have the hardware or rather you have tried this with incompatible hardware

No idea what you are on about there sorry

This is very much idiot proof but you can't use it if your drive is not detected try with your desktop instead, just because you are failing is not to say that this is not idiot proof

The reason you can't follow the instructions is because the CD drive is not detected you are just failing on the first part

To be honest I think you are just pretending to not understand and are just trying to bug me, it's obvious it's not going to work if it can't even see any CD drives

"Just trying to bug me"

Not in the slightest. It seems that I have upset you and for that I apologize. I am very thankful that you put this all together and frankly, I was simply being blunt and explaining my frustration in not being able to complete what I set out to do. Any frustration communicated through the post had nothing to do with you and more with my own confusion, especially with the process.

Anyhow, I won't post any further on this thread so as not to rock the boat. I have gotten quite a few games from this site and don't want to be kicked off for some issue of miscommunication.

The work you guys do is excellent. Thank you.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Don't worry about it, but if you do manage to get this working let me know

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Confirmed working with "cd stop method"!, normally not working, read error, burned at x4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyzt For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyzt View Post
    Confirmed working with "cd stop method"!, normally not working, read error, burned at x4
    Thank you for verifying that

P.S. I never got a Read Error message it just would not get past the Warning Screen no matter how long I left it, I even tried to fine tune the laser to no avail.

But yeah stopping the drive so it would retry works just fine, but still I hope that someone fixes that so it does not need to be done.

I know my drive and although the batch file tries to set 1x my burner will of burned at 10x that is it's slowest burning speed

If I ever get any more CD-R's I will try and make a CD image that can be burned directly, but at the moment I am not sure that is possible as this burning process leaves a 3rd session open at the end of the burn and because this over burns you can't close it, a disc image though would close that

If someone wants to try though there are 2 methods I was thinking of

1. Use ImgBurn to create a multi Session Bin+Cue (Multi Session Bin+Cue files can be burned fine with ImgBurn and should still be self booting, normally Bin+Cue files can't do this though)
    2. Use Discjuggler to create a multi Session cdi
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-March-2014 at 08:02.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyzt View Post
    My comparison:
    working without "cd stop method" ....no problem at all....burned with the .bat made by zorlon...
    my dreamcast is a 1999 console pal...bought used(few) in 2008 and used by my just sometimes...

Thanks

Working for me using the cd stop method, thanks for the advice man.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No problem just glad some more have had the chance to play this

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Zorlon. I have been watching this thread since it opened and an very excited to say that the game worked perfectly on my pal dc. your instructions on burning the image was very easy. As for the game absolutely brilliant. Fans of amigas project x will love this game. Game flows nicely and graphics are superb.
    As for you zorlon I see your a long time dc user. After digging up my dc after such a long time not in use, only to play sturmwind. I was wondering which sites to plunder for some more dc goodness. Preferably the more later releases for dc or more newer homebrew?
    Again thanks for cracking sturmwind

Thanks

Hey Zorlon,the game is the best i have ever played on dc.Pal DC,Game burned and works like a charme.THX for that.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
    Zorlon. I have been watching this thread since it opened and an very excited to say that the game worked perfectly on my pal dc. your instructions on burning the image was very easy. As for the game absolutely brilliant. Fans of amigas project x will love this game. Game flows nicely and graphics are superb.
    As for you zorlon I see your a long time dc user. After digging up my dc after such a long time not in use, only to play sturmwind. I was wondering which sites to plunder for some more dc goodness. Preferably the more later releases for dc or more newer homebrew?
    Again thanks for cracking sturmwind
    I upload games here anyway some of them are my own rips mostly for personal use (some are 99min CD rips mind) but I share them regardless anything else you can request though I have most games in cdi Mill-CD format, I'm only missing the odd Japanese game in Mill-CD format and in GDI format, but just about any game I have in GDI I can make into a Mil-CD cdi, there are a few exceptions to that because of the way the data is originally stored (the few with a single data file that takes up just under 1GB of space up)

Just check out our uploads section

Quote Originally Posted by mac-zero View Post
    Hey Zorlon,the game is the best i have ever played on dc.Pal DC,Game burned and works like a charme.THX for that.
    Glad you enjoyed this gem, though not sure I would say it was the best the Dreamcast has to offer it certainly is a very nice game

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]