Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RE: Just purchased Sturmwind - Plan on 'cracking' the protection, if possible

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

OK still not working for me but I may just need to quickly re-tune the laser pot on me Dreamcast, I will look at that another time though
    [Again I am not getting the Read Error that others have had it just does not get past the Warning Read Before Playing screen]

Anyway I re-upped the simple files and made a couple of bat files to make the process noob friendly or as much as I could

First grab the files from the code (created by DoDonpachi88, I just re-uploaded them) it's the iso data 2nd session track wav audio tracks for the first session

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Grab the attached as well and extract the above first (It will create it's own folder called STURMWIND) then extract the attached into the STURMWIND folder that was created via the files in the code

Run 001scanbus.bat
    Notepad will auto open, but for now look back at the dos type command prompt and follow the instructions there

Quick guide of what the attached does and how to use it.

• All it does is scan your drives and output the ID's and bus location numbers, it's the numbers you are looking for
    • In notepad you need to hit Edit > Replace, then enter #,#,# in the top box
    • The lower box you just put the numbers for your drive in there, so if the drive is the first one listed that would be 0,0,0 that needs to be in the lower box, then hit Replace All
    • After that it is safe to close Notepad and hit save when prompted
    • After it has closed it will move to the burning process, it is paused at this point to give you a chance to pop in your CD-R
    • After you hit that any key it will start the burn process, just let it run fully (this burns both sessions)
    • Once done it will say Operation Complete just to let you know it has finished fully
    • Eject the disc and see if it works in your Mil-CD compatible Dreamcast

Let us know if this actually works for you
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-February-2014 at 18:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i have burn it with LG GH22NS70 and verbatim printable and woork fine 6/6, i have try a lot of burner - Liteon-samsung- pioneer- and a LG (don't remember model number) and i have had RED ERROR

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah I want reports from users from this forum, so I can properly verify this, no offence intended, but reports from users this new can't be counted as valid

actively new that is I know your join date is old enough

I don't even know what a RED ERROR is if there is an issue it says READ ERROR not RED ERROR but on the other forum they say RED ERROR alot, might be a language thing no idea.

I know more because you can see that if you try to emulate the sucker, I have yet to see that on a Dreamcast though.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 26th-February-2014 at 09:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I messed my old old Dreamcast up but got another one on order

I believe that every burn I tried of this worked though, I did get in game with this method though to get there I knocked my dreamcast just as slows or stops then spins up again (the spin up point is when I bump it) at the Warning Screen then it took me in-game rarther quickly, I thought it was a one off so tested ever copy I made (Think it was just 3) bumping the dreamcast at the same place, it may just be an issue with the tune up of the laser, not sure as I bumped it too many times and killed the drive in the process, before getting a chance to check the laser pot, hence ordered a replacement

I still would like reports back on this using what I uploaded, that is in part pre built to make the process easy even more so with the two batch files that makes it almost noob proof
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2014 at 08:04.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I will try to do this tomorrow. I have no experience doing something at this level so not sure what to do beyond following the instructions you have created. Hopefully there will be success.

Anyhow, thanks for your efforts everyone including Zorlon for moving this down the field towards "crack" completion. Looking forward to seeing if this works.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Best of luck with that lowerlevels

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Got my replacement Dreamcast, the same issue is there, I don't believe for one second that this is an issue with either my console or the burning, maybe some extra protection that was implemented to help prevent this from being duplicated, it does work but having to reset the reading by bumping the dreamcast is currently the way round that

Asides from the bump to the dreamcast to reset the read, the disc's I have burned read with no issues during FMV menu's or game play and again still not seen the Read Error Screen it just works once past the Warning Messages

This is far from a prefect method so I hope someone that can actually do a bit of hacking/cracking can make this boot without needing to bump the dreamcast to reset the disc read at that point.

EDIT

If you open the Dreamcast and have the lid trigger held on (tape works for that) then close it back up, boot the game up with the lid open, then at the warning screen, just after the drive stops then spins back up, you can just stop the disc with your finger for a second then let it go and it will start the game just fine.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-March-2014 at 17:55.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Does this work with an demul?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by badigel View Post
    Does this work with an demul?
    Nope, no emulator can play the final version of this game.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Nope, no emulator can play the final version of this game.
    Is it because of the protection?

Thanks
    EP Points

@ zorlon
    hi ,im new
    sorry for my bad english....but in a few words i'd like to know if ,with your method is possible to play with final version of sturmwind in my dreamcast?
    i've tried to follow all the discussion ( not understand completely ,sorry....) but before start the work i'd like to know if ,in the end,is possible to play or just crash random...?
    thanks in advance for your answer!

ps. wonderfull forum !!! detect accidentally! uauuuu for a fans of old school console like me!!!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by farlucco View Post
    @ zorlon
    hi ,im new
    sorry for my bad english....but in a few words i'd like to know if ,with your method is possible to play with final version of sturmwind in my dreamcast?
    i've tried to follow all the discussion ( not understand completely ,sorry....) but before start the work i'd like to know if ,in the end,is possible to play or just crash random...?
    thanks in advance for your answer!

ps. wonderfull forum !!! detect accidentally! uauuuu for a fans of old school console like me!!!
    This is not really my method but I have tested it

The game though works just fine on my Dreamcast, asides from the start up issue (mentioned a few times by me on this page) but once past that it plays perfect, no load issues at all

Post #46 is by far the easiest way to burn this and the only complete instructions in this thread

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by badigel View Post
    Is it because of the protection?
    I would presume so

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    This is not really my method but I have tested it......
    i'll follow that method so....
    thanks for the answer!

I'll try and let you know if works for me!
    thanks!

EDIT:

i try and it works!!!!
    its work perfect!!!
    many thanks zorlon for your explanation,really simple and,off course,for your work,the bat is perfect and easy to use!!!!
    the games is really good...imho one of the best shoter for the dc ,but i prefer horizontal shoters (thunderforce Soldner X2 sine mora ,ecc..),so i'm biased....
    Last edited by farlucco; 5th-March-2014 at 14:48.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to farlucco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by farlucco View Post
    i'll follow that method so....
    thanks for the answer!

I'll try and let you know if works for me!
    thanks!

EDIT:

i try and it works!!!!
    its work perfect!!!
    many thanks zorlon for your explanation,really simple and,off course,for your work,the bat is perfect and easy to use!!!!
    the games is really good...imho one of the best shoter for the dc ,but i prefer horizontal shoters (thunderforce Soldner X2 sine mora ,ecc..),so i'm biased....
    Sturmwind is great but I think I prefer Sine Mora as well. For one it can be run easily on androids. My dreamcast needs some laser tweaking or replacement soon and I still haven't gotten CDR's. Even if I made a version of Sturmwind, it would be a pain for me to get the disc out, and make my crappy DC work. My dreamcast needs about a 10 minute warm up period. I use an audio disc in the system to get the thing nice and warmed up. After this warm up period, games boot much easier for me with my laser problems.
    Twenty Minutes Into The Future