Thread: Video Games Charity Event (Proof that video games can do good)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Video Games Charity Event (Proof that video games can do good)

We all have heard people say that playing video games is a waste of time, that it doesn't do anything good for anybody. This is proof that harnessing the power of video games can have a huge impact on people around the world.

Some background info about the video in the spoiler. Siv HD is a Dutch streamer for League of Legends. Now I follow LoL quite closely, I watch lots of streams from players, watch the playoffs (world group stages playoffs start tomorrow for anyone who cares ) and play a fair bit as well (even though I suck ) The thing that is different about Siv from the majority of the other streamers is that he isn't a pro (far from it!) Most streamers are at least Platinum tier, if not Diamond tier (Tiers are bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond and then challenger) Siv floats around the silver and gold difficulty in matches. He doesn't play the game to win, he plays to have fun, and the video clearly shows that IMO. Siv was doing this charity event for gamingforgood.net in partnership with SavetheChildren charity, and lots of other streamers (primarily WoW) were participating as well, although none hit the mark that Siv did. I watched the majority of this stream throughout the day last Sunday, and it was just amazing. For 12 straight hours his stream was holding around the 60K viewer mark on twitch. Amazing.

Now in this spoiler is the video that Siv posted yesterday that summarizes those 12 hours of streaming.
    Spoiler warning:

Now don't open this spoiler until you have watched the video (yes I know the video is quite lengthy)
    Spoiler warning:
    Just some highlights from the video. Siv HD raised $107K for SavetheChildren in just 12 hours and $1 million dollars with the multiplier buff that USAID gives. INCREDIBLE. This is just from one gaming community, and one that has been regarded as toxic for quite some time. During the stream, Siv was pushing no one to subscribe to his stream, and instead use that money to donate. For those who did subscribe during his stream, he took that money and added it back into the donations instead of keeping it for himself. Throughout the day, he was playing with viewers of his stream on his team. Before each game he would ask those in twitch chat to post their in game names and he would invite them.

His efforts even got him on the front page of a regional paper in the Netherlands. This is the link to a forum post about it http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=429090
    This is the link to the papers website article, although it is a little short
    http://www.ed.nl/regio/eindhoven/gam...doel-1.4004093

Thanks for reading guys.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I didn't read all of it or watch the video, but I hate LoL.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Prude View Post
    I didn't read all of it or watch the video, but I hate LoL.
    Mind if I ask why?

Thanks

Yes, that's it. Even I don't like LoL, I quite liked this action.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've never heard of this guy, I'll check out his videos. Some other gamers that stream to raise money for a causeat the nes Punk play nes games for 24 hrs to raise money too. I think this year's is over though,but it's nice to see people use games to fund great causes.