Thread: I want to transfer files from my laptop to my XBOX (the first one, not 360)but...

Thanks
    EP Points

Default I want to transfer files from my laptop to my XBOX (the first one, not 360)but...

I already downloaded the Filezilla program and I have the proper cable but for some reason Filezilla REFUSES to transfer anything to my XBOX since it doesn't seems to recognize my XBOX...so what I'm doing wrong?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For games I recommend not using Filezilla or any other standard FTP software it will mess up, use qwix for for games (if needs be use qwix to make xbox ISO images and transfer from the ISO)

Filezilla is fine otherwise for small numbers of files and movie files

Anyway the cable you need is a crossover cable connected direct to the laptop and xbox (it's the fastest way anyway)

FTP setting need to match up on both ends

Example

PC Lan network settings
    IPv4 Address = 192.168.0.1
    IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    The rest can be left blank

Xbox network settings
    Manual Static
    IP Address 192.168.0.10
    Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
    The rest can be left blank if you wish

Filezilla and any other software, qwix for example should have the
    password and username is usually xbox by default

Things to note the xbox HDD does have it's limits and some file names will stop the files from being able to copy

43 or more characters will prevent FTPing as FATX is limited to 42 characters
    Any characters outside of ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx yz0123456789!#$%&'()-.@[]^_`{}~ (that includes spaces) will also not copy

I would recommend you check your current IPv4 setup and just change the xbox side Network setup to avoid any complications of getting online via your wireless connection

open up cmd from the start menu on your PC (the windows logo normally on the lower left) it's in accessories and type IPconfig to see what you currently have setup, it's the Ethernet IPv4 you want to be looking at

If you having trouble with file names, I use a Dashboard by the name XBMC and in that there is an option to auto fix file names (this will in no way fix file names for games it's a little more complicated than that for games, but I have posted Xbox fixes that covers a few file name issue games, not all of them though there are a few I am still trying to figure out, though on a break from that at the moment)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-September-2013 at 18:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I too had problems with Filezilla (not sending very small files and padding files so some games don't play).
    I have a Mac so most of the PC options won't work but Cyberduck (with a crossover cable) is really good. Yummy is good too but you have to pay for it after a trial period.
    The one aspect of Filezilla and the only reason I sometimes still use it is it gives a very good log of why a transfer has failed and that can sometimes save the day so it's still worth having but I tend to use it as a last resort.
    I recommend crossover as most routers have built in firewalls which can complicate a file transfer (which isn't a problem if you are directly linking a computer to an xbox or an xbox to an xbox).

With a crossover cable you will have to set the IP address to Static I would make it numerically one more than the computer's IP so if your computer was 192.168.0.2 set the xbox to 192.168.0.3 it's easy to remember that way for one thing.

all the other details are the same.

After doing all your transfers reset the IP back to DHCP and you should be able to reconnect to the router via your ethernet cable after rebooting.
    Last edited by Bingowings; 23rd-September-2013 at 23:49.