Thread: [PlayStation 2] Problem booting PlayStation games burned using GNU+Linux

Thanks
    EP Points

Default [PlayStation 2] Problem booting PlayStation games burned using GNU+Linux

I don't know if this is the right place to ask such question, but since many GNU+Linux forums don't allow topics about burning of video game media, this forum is the best bet so far.

After a lot of search, me and my father bought a jailbroken PlayStation 2, along with some games. We also burned some PlayStation 2 games (which were in ISO image format, and were burned on DVD-Rs, using Brasero), all of those work just fine.

As you might guess: Yes, I use a GNU+Linux operating system, and I do have a PlayStation emulator (PCSX-R, to be exact). Also, besides Brasero, I also have CDRDAO. My current installation uses the GNOME 3 desktop environment, which I find to be lightweight, user-friendly, less resource intensive, and suitable for my accessibility needs, compared to others like KDE, LXDE, and XFCE, so K3B is not suitable for me.

I don't like to deviate from the default repositories. I prefer to compile things from source by following a well documented guide, or to get run-in-place binaries.

Well, enough talking about the operating system.

Output from sudo lshw -C disk, about the DVD-RAM writer:

*-cdrom
    description: DVD-RAM writer
    product: DVDRAM GH22NS50
    vendor: HL-DT-ST
    physical id: 1
    bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/cdrom
    logical name: /dev/cdrw
    logical name: /dev/dvd
    logical name: /dev/dvdrw
    logical name: /dev/sr0
    version: TN03
    capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
    configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc

Burning PlayStation 2 games (which are in ISO image format) is not a problem for us, because we use Brasero for this task.

Due to the fact that my parents love their PlayStation classics, and I also do love some, I decided to see if our new console could run some PlayStation games. So I decided to download Harvest Moon: Back to Nature (NTSC-U), which came in ISO image format. So I bought two empty CD-Rs and used Brasero to burn the ISO image (with the slowest recording speed selected). The burning process finished with an error message which, according to some other users from another forum, is just a false error message. Anyway, when I tried to boot the PlayStation game in the PlayStation 2, I could just get to the screen where the user selects between the memory cards and such.

And before you ask: No, I didn't put the ISO image inside the CD-R (so making it a data disk with just one file), but instead, burned the ISO image using the appropriated options.

I can't remember if the burned CD-R (which had Harvest Moon: Back to Nature) worked using PCSX-R because it's been a long time since I burned it, and now, it's gone, to the trash bin.

After some days, I decided to test some PlayStation games from another site. I have previously downloaded and fully completed two games from this site, one of these being Crash Team Racing (NTSC-U), so I decided to burn said game, which came in BIN image format (I can't remember if it came with a CUE file, but I do remember visiting a CUE database to download a CUE file for it, either for comparison or just to use with the BIN image file).

Due to the fact that Brasero is said not to being able to handle BIN and CUE files as they should, I decided to use CDRDAO.

So I typed cdrdao write --device /dev/sr0 --speed 4 --eject "Crash Team Racing (U).cue", to burn Crash Team Racing on the CD-R. The burning process finished like a charm, with no errors or warnings. When I tried to boot the newly burned CD-R on the PlayStation 2, I could just get to the screen where the user selects between memory cards and such.

Due to the fact that our PlayStation 2 is jailbroken, here follows some basic information.

Modchip: Unknown (see first addendum);
    Modchip firmware: Matrix Infinity 1.93;
    PlayStation 2 type: Black, slim;
    PlayStation 2 console version: SCPH-90010;
    Console diagnosis: Off;
    PlayStation 2 browser version: 1.20;
    PlayStation 2 CD Player version: 2.00;
    PlayStation 2 PlayStation Driver version: 2.00;
    PlayStation Driver disc speed: Standard;
    PlayStation Driver texture mapping: Standard;
    PlayStation 2 DVD Player version: 3.11M.

First addendum: We are not that tech expert or clever enough to risk opening our beloved PlayStation 2 console. Also, I'm somewhat visually impaired.
    -- End of first addendum --

Here follows some information about our actual modchip firmware configuration.

PS2 screen fix: Color;
    Y screen fix: Off. (Locked);
    PSX screen fix: On;
    PSX multi disk: Off;
    MC16 patch: On;
    ATAD auto patch: On;
    Macrovision fix: On;
    Green fix: On;
    DVDVideo region: 8;
    DVD9 DL support: On;
    Boot mode: Auto. (More information about other tries regarding other boot modes can be found in the second addendum);
    Pad detect time: 2;
    Boot logo: On.

Second addendum: According to the Matrix Infinity Usage Tutorial, here follows the other boot modes, and their respective results in this case, using the burned Crash Team Racing CD-R.
    Fast: Goes where the user selects memory cards and such;
    InfMan: Idem;
    DEV1: Boots the console normally, to the point where the user has to select between the browser or the system configuration;
    DEV2: Idem;
    DVDV: Goes to a screen which asks the user to insert a PlayStation or a PlayStation 2 disc.
    -- End of second addendum --

Third addendum: By holding the Start button (that means, disabling the modchip until the next standby), then reseting the console, is not useful, as it takes me to the same screen as the DVDV boot mode.
    -- End of third addendum --

Fourth addendum: The burned Crash Team Racing CD-R worked with PCSX-R, just like a normal PlayStation game.
    -- End of fourth addendum --

Best regards, ADFENO.
    Have a nice day.
    Last edited by ADFENO; 20th-September-2013 at 03:03. Reason: Removed HTML <pre> and <em> tags, and added ends to the addendums.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This could be
    A mod chip failure (not wired for PSX) I would need to know what motherboard you have, the PS2 model number is not enough
    PS2 CD drive issue (the PS2 CD/DVD drive works off of two pots one for CD and one for DVD), it is not uncommon for the CD part of the PS2 drive to die out
    you are just using bad CD-R media that the PS2 drive simply does not want to read fully (very possible and well known issue with poor quality CD-R's and DVD-Rs)

I am guessing that the PS2 is at least showing on the memcard card screen and that there is a disc in and it is a black disc icon to show that there is a PSone/PSX/Playstation disc inserted

For testing though try a PS2 CD game from CD-R to rule out the drive not reading CD-R's in general

also try tapping reset twice to be in DVD/PSX mode
    tap reset once takes you to PS2 mode

I believe that the SCPH-90010 v18 model used the GH-070-42 motherboard (you can find that on the motherboard itself)

So the wire setup should be the same as the attached image well depends on the actual chip you have.

EDIT correct motherboard wrong version yours is a SCPH-90010 v17 NTSC-U PS2 slim with a GH-070-42 motherboard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-September-2013 at 23:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    This could be
    PS2 CD drive issue (the PS2 CD/DVD drive works off of two pots one for CD and one for DVD), it is not uncommon for the CD part of the PS2 drive to die out

For testing though try a PS2 CD game from CD-R to rule out the drive not reading CD-R's in general

also try tapping reset twice to be in DVD/PSX mode
    tap reset once takes you to PS2 mode

I believe that the SCPH-90010 v18 model used the GH-070-42 motherboard (you can find that on the motherboard itself)

So the wire setup should be the same as the attached image well depends on the actual chip you have.

EDIT correct motherboard wrong version yours is a SCPH-90010 v17 NTSC-U PS2 slim with a GH-070-42 motherboard
    I don't know if this helps, but we've tested some audio CDs (and yes, they were recorded as such, not just data CDs).

We've tested 3 audio CDs, all of them were recognized as such, regardless of the CD brand/type/quality.

- Original audio C Vengaboys' The Platinum Album (unknown brand);
    - Audio CD bought from a CD shop (two years ago): ?'s ? (labelled as DigiKlone, colored with black outline and yellow on the inside, see first addendum);
    - Audio CD burned by ourselves a long time ago: ?'s ? (labelled as Dr. Hank, colored with a silver green, see second and third addendum).

First addendum: Output from cdrdao disk-info, with the DigiKlone CD inserted:

Cdrdao version 1.2.3 - (C) Andreas Mueller <[email protected]>
    /dev/sr0: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 Rev: TN03
    Using driver: Generic SCSI-3/MMC - Version 2.0 (options 0x0000)

That data below may not reflect the real status of the inserted medium
    if a simulation run was performed before. Reload the medium in this case.

CD-RW : no
    Total Capacity : n/a
    CD-R medium : Plasmon Data systems Ltd.
    Short Strategy Type, e.g. Phthalocyanine
    Recording Speed : n/a
    CD-R empty : no
    Toc Type : CD-DA or CD-ROM
    Sessions : 1
    Last Track : 20
    Appendable : no

Second addendum: Output from cdrdao disk-info, with the Dr. Hank CD inserted:

Total Capacity : n/a
    CD-R medium : GIGASTORAGE CORPORATION
    CD-R empty : no
    Toc Type : CD-DA or CD-ROM
    Sessions : 1
    Last Track : 19
    Appendable : no

Third addendum: I don't know if this helps, but the CD labeled as Dr. Hank is the only from our collection which has certification signs on it, these being ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, unfortunately, I can't read the letters above these signs due to my visual impairment.

If I get the chance today or tomorrow, I'll buy some empty CD-Rs, I'll see if I can get the exact CDs described in this post.

Best regards, ADFENO.
    Have a nice day.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well CD reading for audio CD's seems fine then, though not the same strain game CD's have but atleast if you put in a CD-R with PSX data on it and the mod chip is installed fine then it will at the very least show that you have a PSX format disc inserted in your PS2, it will show as a black CD, if it's not even doing that no amount of re-burning or new CD-R's will help you

Though for the mod chip to work it needs to be in PSX/DVD Video mode

I don't know what mode you are burning in but make sure it's DAO/SAO mode Disc At Once/Session At Once do not use TAO though Track At Once

Though to be honest the above should only effect games with multi tracks and would not stop the PS2 seeing those as PSX discs, it will effect game play of multi track CD's if you use TAO
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-September-2013 at 14:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I bought 3 Smartbuy empty CD-Rs (one with orange in the lower half and white in the upper half).

Addendum: Output from cdrdao disk-info, with the Smartbuy empty CD-R inserted:

Total Capacity : 79:57:71 (359846 blocks, 702/807 MB)
    CD-R medium : Prodisc Technology Inc.
    CD-R empty : yes
    -- End of addendum --

I decided to just use one of the Smartbuy CD-Rs, and so I tested it. That's when I really got proof about the importance of the CD/DVD media brand/label/type.

When I turned the console on with the Smartbuy CD-R inside, the console started to make some popping sounds, so I decided to put the console into standby.

Then I decided to test the console with a bought PlayStation 2 game, a burned PlayStation 2 DVD game, plus the same three audio CDs previously mentioned, plus another old audio CD labeled as DigiKlone.

The newly tested audio CD, as said before, is also labeled as DigiKlone, but has images similar to flowers. Interestingly, this DigiKlone audio CD makes the console behave exactly as the Smartbuy one.

Just forgot to mention: All the CDs and DVDs which were tested worked just fine, except of course, the Smartbuy CD and the newly tested DigiKlone audio CD.

Best regards, ADFENO.
    Have a nice day.
    Last edited by ADFENO; 20th-September-2013 at 03:00. Reason: Removed BB code for CDRDAO output.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well at least you know not to get that media again, but not all cheap media is bed either I have had some very good discs from local pound shops ect, but that is very risky, once you find what work just stick to those

I still think it is a fault on the PS2 side be it a mod chip miss solder issue or just that you have not got it in the correct mode for PSX games, as you say it gets as far as the memcard screen but it's not showing that you have a black disc inserted (a PSX disc), you could try an eject and reinsert at that point, see if that helps at all

Never heard of DigiKlone but if they work for you then stick to em

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Finally, some progress.

Apparently, the popping sounds caused by the supposedly bad CD label/brand type was caused by something simple, that I should have noted before, dust in the CD's surface.

Two days ago (before discovering the cause of the popping sounds) I bought an empty CD-R labeled as Nipponic (a white colored one). See the first addendum for more information. It made the console do the popping sounds, but since I didn't know that it was caused by the dust, this and other recently burned CDs were thrown in the trash bin.

First addendum: Output of cdrdao -disk-info, with the Nipponic CD inserted:

Total Capacity : 79:57:74 (359849 blocks, 702/807 MB)

Also, the now gone Smartbuy CD-R, is considered here in Brazil, to be one of the best (in quality, not popularity) CD brand/type/labels, according to some researchers over the Internet.

Since I didn't have the time to go far from where I live just to buy a Smartbuy empty CD-R, I decided to test another brand, so I bought two CDs labeled as Print Plus (see second addendum for more information), and two of those white and flowered DigiKlone CDs.

Second addendum: Output of cdrdao -disk-info, with the Print Plus CD inserted:

Total Capacity : 79:57:74 (359849 blocks, 702/807 MB)

Yesterday, I burned Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland (NTSC-U) on one of the Print Plus CDs, that means, a PlayStation 2 game, and I used CDRDAO to do this (see third addendum). Guess what? The game works!

Third addendum: To burn Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland, I used the following command:

sudo cdrdao write --device /dev/sr0 --speed 4 --eject "Harvest Moon - Save the Homeland (NTSC-U).cue"

Note: Before you ask, my CD/DVD writer does not support writing speed below x4.

I'm just worried about the noise made by the console. It's not a popping noise, but it does the reading to loud.

After testing Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland, I've decided to clear the surface of our audio CDs, after this, even that white and flowered DigiKlone CD worked (and it still does).

In the same day, I decided to burn a PlayStation game (Test Drive 4, NTSC-U, to be exact), using CDRDAO and a DigiKlone CD. Guess what? The burning completed with no errors, but the game wasn't recognized by the console. That means, I get past the very (I mean, very) first screen, but the "PlayStation, Infinity 1.93" screen doesn't show up, and so I waited, and all I got was a fast change between the memory card and CD selection screen saying "No data" and the red backgrounded screen telling me to insert a PlayStation or a PlayStation 2 game.

I tried setting the reading speed of the PlayStation Drive to fast, forcing the PlayStation boot mode of the Matrix Infinity (which resulted in the very first screen to change just five seconds after its appearance, so going to the red backgrounded screen), and also it's fast boot mode (which I can't remember the resulting screen), but with no success.

So I tried to use a different driver from the CDRDAO supported ones. I tried to use Generic MMC RAW, which is different from the default driver for my CD/DVD writer (default: Generic MMC). Surprisingly, with the Generic MMC RAW driver, track 1 of Test Drive 4 was written in Mode [some forgotten number]/Audio, plus CDRDAO inserted a 25 MB pregap, some unknown lead-ins, and some other 15 MB which I can't remember. But sonner, I discovered from redump.org that Test Drive 4 has no pregaps, and also, it couldn't be recognized by the console.

With only one CD remaining (the white and flowered one labeled as DigiKlone), I decided to run the latest stable release of ImgBurn under PlayOnLinux (version 4.2.1, made from source), which uses Wine (1.4.1).

During the burning process, ImgBurn recognized the BIN and CUE pair as being one for PlayStation. But still, the game wasn't recognized by our PlayStation 2 console. The results obtained with this burning of Test Drive 4 are the same as those from the very first burning of the same game.

Also, due to my visual impairment, and the fact that my parents don't want to be left without a gaming console too early, I'm forbidden to open it.

Now I'm sitting like a duck, and also forbidden to spend one more BRLs for burning of PlayStation games. Unless someone has a solution which works entirely from an USB storage device, and which accepts games from an USB storage device, I might consider this thread as dormant.

I'll keep the burning made with ImgBurn, just in case.

Best regards, ADFENO.
    Have a nice day.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To be honest I do not think any of the burned games are bad I do however think that there is an issue with the console you are trying to run those on, still sounds like the mod chip need to be re-soldered, just the S/SX point that is used for running PSX CD's

I said the above from the first post you made

The burn at 4x speed thing was always rubbish anyway, same for DVD's if anyone tells you to burn at a certain speed, it all depends on what your hardware can handle and for the best results you burn at the slowest for me with CD's that is 10x

If you have an xbox you can play PSX games on a soft modded xbox with the use of a PSX emulator for it, I even have PSX to Xbox controller converters for my xbox

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

You're indeed right, I don't deny anything.

At least this thread will serve as a test procedure for other visitors.

About the re-soldering, perhaps she's wrong, but according to my mother, re-soldering costs about 30 BRL, that's indeed great.

I might consider mentioning this to my father to see if he wants it, so we could split the price to 15 BRL for each one.

Best regards, ADFENO.
    Have a nice day.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No idea how much 30 BRL is, but kinda sounds like a lot for such a small job, the solder issue with the Matrix Infinity chip and clones is a common issue though for PSX games

Thinking outside the box idea's

You could just buy a PS2 to USB controller converter (also goes under PS2 to PS3 controller converter) and use your PC to play some PSX games instead of the PS2, you can even hook the PC to your TV if you wanted, the converters got for as cheap as £2 or $2 no idea in BRL though sorry (ePSXe has a Linux port that is going to be better than PCSX-R)

Buy an xbox instead and software mod it, at least then you can add more than just PSX games to your collection... Xbox games plus NES SNES Megadrive Sega CD and a bunch of others, the original xbox has tons and tons of emulators for including PSX, the xbox version of PS2 games are often improved versions as well and adds a few good xbox only games that can b e played

(the xbox option can soon start costing though asides from the console itself and new bigger internal HDD is strongly recommended to store your games on, though you don't need to buy DVD+/-R's as everything is stored on the HDD or the other way round and stick with the stock HDD and just use DVD's)

I don't know how this will work with a mod chip but there is a PSX booting mod for the PS2 normally you do need to block those censors for the disc drive so it thinks the it's closed all the time, but because you have a mod chip this may be an alt way to boot PSX games directly on your system, the mod is called PSX launcher that is just an elf file

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zJMEgMQS4 is a vid of PSX launcher being used on a PS2 though that system will not have a mod chip installed and will have the lid censors blocked, I don't use that myself I don't want to block my lid censors plus I have a chipped PSone anyway, I also don't toss my discs about lol

The way I would try running it though does not involve a retail game or the censors blocked, instead just pop the PSX burned disc in launch the PSX launcher and see if that will see the disc and boot it just hit X or whatever it is to boot the thing (think it is X)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-September-2013 at 14:26.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Good news, I burned uLaunchELF 1.38 into a DVD (using the image provided by the developers) and managed to boot it in the PlayStation 2, and so, I decided to put uLaunchELF 1.42d into an USB storage device (which is old but was recently formated, and will serve only for purposes related to the PlayStation 2 – although this USB storage device has a lot of past program/erase operations, so its flash memory limit is way decreased, it can still be used for a short period of time).

So, using uLaunchELF 1.38, I managed to put version 1.42d in the memory card and boot the PlayStation 2 using DEV1 mode of Matrix Infinity.

Now I am able to really get somethings done.

I tested PS2PSXe, but some games aren't really playable. At least I can play Medal of Honor (haven't completed it, but the first level is clear).

Apparently, PS2PSXe only loads disc images, that means my burning of Test Drive 4 couldn't be tested.

Perhaps I'll need to look for a way to use PSXLauncher without an original PlayStation disc, and without the PlayStation 2 sensors blocked.

Best regards, ADFENO.
    Have a nice day.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    No idea how much 30 BRL is, but kinda sounds like a lot for such a small job, the solder issue with the Matrix Infinity chip and clones is a common issue though for PSX games
    I think BRL is Brazilian Real.
    If so, 30.00 BRL = 8 GBP (approx).

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That possibly is still a bit much for a small solder job, the only mod chip I ever got installed would of cost £8 for the thing to be done including the mod chip (was my PSone) I got it done for free as it was the first one he done and I gave him a copy of Import Player as well.

Now i don't know anyone that does solder or do mod chips, not locally anyway.

even if the exchange rate gives £8 that isn't that much here 30BRL may still be a lot depending on the pay rate for BRL

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, since my parents don't want to re-solder the console at this moment, I can consider this thread solved.

I'll stay with PS2PSXe for now (I just hope it doesn't do anything more than emulation of PlayStation games. ).

Also, BRL is indeed the Brazilian Real, according to the ISO 4217 code. I find it more convenient to write it this way because by respecting the standards, I don't need to run into issues like – but not applied to this case – accessibility, availability, or compatibility issues. This is why I avoid using BB code, because only members of the forums can see the content inside them, this also applies to the BB code used for codes and such, this embarrasses non-members who are looking for solutions for their problems, and only have a software output or code to start. Anyways, I think I spoke too much.

Last but not less important, just a quick question, is there an option to re-open threads once they're closed, I mean, without reviving it with an annoying late reply? Or do the threads stay open forever?

Best regards, ADFENO.
    Have a nice day.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope you can't re-open a thread but if you want this closed you can ask a staff member to re-open it when needs be, to be honest it is easier and quicker to post a new thread.

PS2PSXe is far from perfect but it runs some games just fine

PSXloader is an alt method as well, that uses the internal PSX emulation

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]