Thread: How do you make MAME 0.149 run neogeo roms?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default How do you make MAME 0.149 run neogeo roms?

I've been creating a lot of threads asking for help lately, for some reason nothing ever works right for me =P

Well the title is self-explanatory, I downloaded the neo geo bios, but still can't get metal slug 3 to work, I downloaded the rom from this website, but wen I try to run it on MAME, even if I have the neogeo bios it says "The selected game is missing files or chd images"
    Anyone nows how to play metal slug 3 on mame?

BTW, I tried it on other emulator and it worked, but I dont wanna have to use another emulator just to play one game, the other emulator only emulates neogeo

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You possibly just need an updated bios image

I would try and use the audit roms option that is in most gui based versions of Mame to see exactly what is missing

Mame is a major pain in the backside for updates, because with every update a lot of older roms have new updated dumps including bios images from time to time, I know the bios of neo-geo has had several updates as well as the game roms

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    You possibly just need an updated bios image

I would try and use the audit roms option that is in most gui based versions of Mame to see exactly what is missing

Mame is a major pain in the backside for updates, because with every update a lot of older roms have new updated dumps including bios images from time to time, I know the bios of neo-geo has had several updates as well as the game roms
    The rom doens't have missign files, I know it doens't 'cause the neogeo emulator I use is a modification of MAME, I even tried using the neogeo emulator bios, also, I know it can't be an outdated rom, because I download the bios and the rom from a ton of diferent websites and MAME gives me the same error, I think it's cause of the bios not being recognized, cause in the rom list there's a rom named neogeo, and the it says the file it takes the rom from is neogeo.zip

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As I stated with every version of mame roms get changed, audit the roms and find out what is missing, it will tell you if a bios file is missing also.

I download the bios and the rom from a ton of different websites
    Not the best way to find the issue and you obviously don't know what you are getting doing that without checking the roms with either the build in audit rom option or via something like clrmamepro that also checks your roms

I would still guess at file being missing or out of date for MAME, hence the error you get trying to run the game

This alt emulator may be based on mame but it may not use the same roms as the version of mame you are trying to use

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

As I stated with every version of mame roms get changed, audit the roms and find out what is missing, it will tell you if a bios file is missing also.

Not the best way to find the issue and you obviously don't know what you are getting doing that without checking the roms with either the build in audit rom option or via something like clrmamepro that also checks your roms

I would still guess at file being missing or out of date for MAME, hence the error you get trying to run the game

This alt emulator may be based on mame but it may not use the same roms as the version of mame you are trying to use
    I tried clrmamepro, there are files missing in the neo geo bios, problem is I dont know any other websites that have MAME 0.149 bios, they generally only have 0.123,0.124 etc... bios,
    WHat is the MAME version that is less "strict" about roms being perfect, I read in the oficial MAME website that new versions are more "strict" about roms having missing files

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

MAME version none they are all strict while you can use just about any other arcade emulator and it is not so strict

Have you even looked at our own set

Neo-Geo
    Main section for MAME 0.149 roms

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

MAME version none they are all strict while you can use just about any other arcade emulator and it is not so strict

Have you even looked at our own set

Neo-Geo
    Main section for MAME 0.149 roms
    I downloaded the bios from the link and wen I open the bios it says it has missing files

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

what files are missing and what are the correct crc values of the missing files?

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

what files are missing and what are the correct crc values of the missing files?
    Apparently none, I tried the bios with mame WITHOUT a GUI/Frontend, then I tried in MAMEUI and it worked

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

And my job is done .

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

And my job is done .
    Thanks for the help