Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to keep tape attached to a modchip?

Thanks

Default Is it safe to keep tape attached to a modchip?

I recently purchased a pre-modded Xbox original with an upgraded hard drive and an Xecutor Mod Chip (v2.3b pro according to the seller). The seller told me that there are a couple of attachments for the chip that he put some tape over to protect them while they are being posted.

I'm not too confident about opening up the console. Is the tape going to damage the console or modchip in any way if I leave it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Assuming it's non conductive (i.e., no metal in it) tape, it shouldn't be a problem unless the chip gets especially hot, in which case the tape could melt.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Serial_Thriller View Post
    I recently purchased a pre-modded Xbox original with an upgraded hard drive and an Xecutor Mod Chip (v2.3b pro according to the seller). The seller told me that there are a couple of attachments for the chip that he put some tape over to protect them while they are being posted.

I'm not too confident about opening up the console. Is the tape going to damage the console or modchip in any way if I leave it?
    There won't be a problem, this isn't unusual with Xbox mods. Just leave it in there.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's just fine it will be insulating tape anyway or electrical tape. (it's the same thing)

If it's not insulating tape I would remove it, but if it's something that has a very high tack be very careful removing it or cover it with insulating tape if it does have a metalic side to it like a lot of the high tack tape does

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Well, it looks like the seller didn't answer my question properly. It turns out that the bits that had tape attached was this, uh, thing outside of the case with an LED and four switches. That's at the front of the Xbox. Then there's this other thing sticking out of the back which also has tape. It looks like it could fit a really wide cable (like SCART, but a different shape). This "thing" is also attached to a thin silver strip above the AV cables input which goes through a tiny gap leading to the inside.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sounds like it has more mods than just a modchip, but without more info or some pics I'm not going to bother trying to guess what exactly

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Would be an idea to share some images so we can tell you what exactly you have there

As it happens you don't even need a mod chip on the xbox now because of the softmods.

P.S. the pics don't need to be perfect quality either, so phone pic or a web cam pic will be enough

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Here are some shots. The first one is of the front of the console.

The other two are of the back.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I resized and attached your images directly for quicker viewing

I need to look this up not seen a hard mod like yours to be honest

IMGP0355.jpg
    Micro switches and an mini switch on the front near the P1 pad port

IMGP0356.jpg
    IMGP0357.jpg
    No idea why you would want a very old 25pin serial port on the back I was kind of expecting a VGA port though

I will do a bit of digging round though figure out why they are there

EDIT:-

By the looks of it the Serial port is for updating the mod chip and the switches are also part of the mod chip I will do a bit more digging though first and try and figure out what chip you have and what the use of the switches are, I would guess that the main switch is just to turn the mod chip off and on

EDIT:-

You have an Xecuter 2.X mod chip installed at a guess it's the 2.1 Pro final version (it's not really the final version either there are later versions)

Edit removed switches image it was upside down and only made it confusing, uploaded a better one in my later reply

The serial port is for programming the mod chip but to be honest I would stay away from that, even tape that back down
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-September-2013 at 17:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Well, as I said in my first post, the guy who sold it to me says it's an Xecuter v2.3b pro. I'm actually having a hard time finding information about it as well. Maybe he got the name wrong?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Updated...... please re-read this post

The serial port is just for programming the chip that will already be done

http://team-xecuter.com/x2prog/ the flash kit programming via the serial port hooked up to a PC with a serial LTP port (that was used for old printers)

You will not have any idea what he/she has flashed into each bank so just use what it is set up to or you can try each 256 setup and see if there are any differences

More info at http://z6.invisionfree.com/Supreme_Mods/ar/t10.htm it's just an install instruction but it looks like your setup so yeah it could very well be the 2.3b pro version, the 2.1 pro is not really any different (this also has info on the switches)

At the moment yours is not setup correctly, the switches are wrong, I thought it was set to bank 3 but the switches are the total opposite to the Bank 3 setup

P.S. the mod chip is disabled at the moment to enable it lift the broken switch up to the on pos

Made a better image to use for your switches
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-September-2013 at 17:42.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    By the looks of it the Serial port is for updating the mod chip and the switches are also part of the mod chip I will do a bit more digging though first and try and figure out what chip you have and what the use of the switches are, I would guess that the main switch is just to turn the mod chip off and on
    I've got switches for mine, but they're inside the case I don't think I've ever seen them outside the case like that (over here).
    No serial port on mine

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't have a mod chip at all I don't need one.

Maybe for my 1.6 that has it's limitations if you use HD, but I only have one xbox HD component
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-September-2013 at 20:28.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I don't have a mod chip at all I don't need one.

Maybe for my 1.6 that has it's limitations if you use HD, but I only have one xbox HD component
    I have a 1.6 (that's the hardmodded one, also has component cable), got another virgin Xbox here that's older...might be a 1.3 or something. It's in immaculate cond box and all. Got it for free

Once you hardmod you really don't want anything else...you can swap in a new HDD very quickly and easily.
    But I got mine done ages ago when live support was still there (it can run in modded and virgin modes).

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have a 750GB HDD installed wasn't hard to do

I recently changed it out of my 1.6 into the 1.2/1.3 xbox with no issues either.

I guess I find these things easy though.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]