Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow gameplay/fps on Ape Escape - Pumped & Primed (USA)

Thanks

Default Slow gameplay/fps on Ape Escape - Pumped & Primed (USA)

So, like the title says, I have problem emulating this game on PCSX2 1.1.0 (Latest revision).
    My laptop specs are:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    RAM 8 GB
    Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
    AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series

And for the PCSX2 settings:
    GS: GSdx 5723 (MSVC 16.00,SSE2) 0.1.16 [GSdx32-SSE2-r5723]
    with: Adapter: Default hardware device, Renderer: Direct3D11 [Software (Hardware mode will even slow down the game)], Interlacing: Auto, Native resolution, Texture filtering (half checked).
    Pad: LilyPad
    SPU2: SPU2-X r569 2.0.0
    CDDV Default
    USB: Default
    FW: Default
    DEV9: DEV9null Driver r5684 0.5.0

That's all.
    Problem:
    When I boot up the game, it starts normally until the "Press START Button" screen loads, then it runs from 30 to 50 fps. The intro/opening video and the first cut scene runs smoothly, but after that in the menu it drops down to 30 fps again. So, can anyone help me? I tried using SpeedHacks but it only speeds up a little. Then I try to frame skip. The game then runs on 60 fps! But the screen flickers so much I turned it off. Tried gamefixes too but still slow.

That's my problem, and I hope to get a reply as soon as possible.
    If you have any questions, post a comment or PM me.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by KeyToTruth12; 29th-August-2013 at 09:37.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm gunna guess you done a type as the last version is 1.1.0 not 2.1.0

http://pcsx2.net/config-guide.html#SHack would be a good place to look first

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I'm gunna guess you done a type as the last version is 1.1.0 not 2.1.0
    Edited. Have you found the solution yet?
    Last edited by KeyToTruth12; 29th-August-2013 at 10:15.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

P.S. did the hacks help with the issue?

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Only a bit.
    Nothing's Impossible.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hmm not sure if this will be of any help at all but in another PS2 emu thread though for a totally different game but d3d9 gave a lot more speed for that game

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Hmm not sure if this will be of any help at all but in another PS2 emu thread though for a totally different game but d3d9 gave a lot more speed for that game
    How can I do that?

Okay, I tried setting the Frame Skipping option to Constant skipping, with 2 Frames To Draw and 4 Frames To Skip. Then went to SpeedHacks tab, and set the EE Cyclerate to 2, while the VU Cycle Stealing kept to 0. The game then runs about 45-55 fps, but still slow. Then it usually hangs (PCSX2 has stopped working alert)
    at:
    - Stunclub 2 (rarely)
    - Boats stage (always)
    - Slingshot stage (usually)
    - Dragonfly stage (seldom)
    - RC Cars stage (sometimes)
    It is really frustrating to always boot up a game after a crash. Got any ideas for fixing this?
    Last edited by deadlegion; 31st-August-2013 at 04:11. Reason: merged posts
    Nothing's Impossible.

Thanks
    EP Points

Stay away from frame skipping
    Pcsx2 can have issues with it. Big ones.

Try not to go to crazy with speed hacks either as they can corrupt the graphics.

You can also try switching back to hardware mode and as Zorlon said switch to D3D9 under the renderer drop down menu in plugin settings. You can also switch your plugin to the gsdx sse3 one and this may give a boost but may not be noticeable. It sounds like you have an integrated gpu and thats most likely where the bottle neck is. When the game is running can you post the cpu and gpu percentages are at the top right? Also with an integrated chip you may want to look into one of the custom gsdx plugins by cutie which are more centered around integrated chips. I'm away from the pc for the night and on the phone but you could probably google something up yourself as you seem to have a grasp on things. I'll check in tomorrow and if it hasnt been resolved i can look inro it better. But these are some things to try as I haven't played this particular game on pcsc2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Stay away from frame skipping
    Pcsx2 can have issues with it. Big ones.
    Without it the game runs like 10-20 fps lol.

Try not to go to crazy with speed hacks either as they can corrupt the graphics.
    I know. I hate the flickering.

You can also try switching back to hardware mode and as Zorlon said switch to D3D9 under the renderer drop down menu in plugin settings.
    6-8 fps. Surprised?

You can also switch your plugin to the gsdx sse3 one and this may give a boost but may not be noticeable.
    sse2, sse3, sse4, all the same.

It sounds like you have an integrated gpu and thats most likely where the bottle neck is. When the game is running can you post the cpu and gpu percentages are at the top right?
    What's that? And where can I find it?

Also with an integrated chip you may want to look into one of the custom gsdx plugins by cutie which are more centered around integrated chips.
    Like this? http://www.emucr.com/2012/05/gsdx-cutie-v5-r5206.html

I'm away from the pc for the night and on the phone but you could probably google something up yourself as you seem to have a grasp on things. I'll check in tomorrow and if it hasnt been resolved i can look inro it better. But these are some things to try as I haven't played this particular game on pcsc2
    Okay.
    Nothing's Impossible.

Thanks
    EP Points

Grrrr

Ok go back to dx11 and use the gsdx sse4 and on the same menu screen i believe it is go into game fixes and click ee timing fix.

We may also be able to lower some audio settings to give it a slight nudge as well but It'll have to wait just popped back on to see if you posted

Thanks

Grrrr

Ok go back to dx11 and use the gsdx sse4 and on the same menu screen i believe it is go into game fixes and click ee timing fix.
    ...it's the same.

We may also be able to lower some audio settings to give it a slight nudge as well but It'll have to wait just popped back on to see if you posted
    In the SPU2 settings?
    Nothing's Impossible.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yup SPU2.

You can drop interpolation down to linear and click disable effects.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyToTruth12 View Post
    Without it the game runs like 10-20 fps lol.
    hmm well as long as it doesn't cause the game to crash which it probably will at some point.

6-8 fps. Surprised?
    Very.

sse2, sse3, sse4, all the same.
    sorta figured. Like I said if there was any gain it wouldn't have been noticable to the eye

What's that? And where can I find it?
    You'd have to be in windowed mode and it's the percentage values of EE and GS

Link isn't working for me but it looks like it.

Edit: also, never tried it myself but you can try and set extra rendering threads to 1 at the bottom of the video => plugin settings window.

Only other thing at the moment I can think of and it's probably not a good idea for a laptop is to overclock your cpu.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 31st-August-2013 at 17:36.

Thanks

Yup SPU2.

You can drop interpolation down to linear and click disable effects.
    Still 20-30 fps.

You'd have to be in windowed mode and it's the percentage values of EE and GS
    Like this? http://i.imgur.com/z1txaCx.jpg

Link isn't working for me but it looks like it.
    How about this? http://bit.ly/14OKMBA

Edit: also, never tried it myself but you can try and set extra rendering threads to 1 at the bottom of the video => plugin settings window.
    Um, what does it do?

Only other thing at the moment I can think of and it's probably not a good idea for a laptop is to overclock your cpu.
    Got it.

EDIT: I found the custom plugin and used it. But look at it's configuration panel: http://i.imgur.com/NddzElA.jpg
    WTF? And the fps is still 30-35. I'm starting to think that this isn't the emu's fault, it's the image's fault. Sigh, I think I should redownload this thing.
    Last edited by KeyToTruth12; 1st-September-2013 at 05:59.
    Nothing's Impossible.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

FPS drop is not going to be caused by an ISO.

FPS drop if it's not settings is going to be lack of hardware & emulator compat causing slow downs in the emulation, this may get fixed at some point in a future releases of pcsx2 or it's plugins.

Not every game will run as smoothly as others might, that and pcsx2 is far from perfect yet.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

FPS drop is not going to be caused by an ISO.

FPS drop if it's not settings is going to be lack of hardware & emulator compat causing slow downs in the emulation, this may get fixed at some point in a future releases of pcsx2 or it's plugins.

Not every game will run as smoothly as others might, that and pcsx2 is far from perfect yet.
    Zorlon has a point. Even though the compatibility list shows this as playable which i checked doesn't necessarily mean it is or was tested extensively or all the way through. I researched this game a fare bit and found consistant issues with ati gpu's.

Unfortunately i believe we have simply hit an impasse and the best you have gotten is the best you will get. Feel free to throw the speed hacks way up and if the graphics arent to fucked and you get an at least acceptable speed in which to play then do so. It may take increasing and decreasing through gameplay. I'm out of ideas. Other than that pick up a used ps2 and mod it. Sorry man thats all I got. If you do find a way from fiddling or/and using custom plugins and get it reasonably running please post back with whay you have done as all of this is about testing, there are tons of different hardware setups and a plethora of ps2 games which makes for an inexhaustable amount of possibilities and hopefully this thread may help others with similar problems. Ps2 emulation takes a lot of computer resources and is still not perfect even after a decade.