Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Souvenirs of Your Childhood, or, Milady makes her semi-yearly attempt at starting a thread, part i

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Souvenirs of Your Childhood, or, Milady makes her semi-yearly attempt at starting a thread, part i

This is the result of a half-thought thats been kicking around in my head for months now. I keep telling myself I'll finish the thought and post it as a thread as soon as I have a proper keyboard and a quiet moment, but you guys are only going to respond with five word half-answers anyway, so there's not much point in wasting any more time. (I know we've had a few threads that have followed a similar, nostalgia related train of thought, but none of those seem to have occurred anytime recently. Except that one where Elmdor asked us all if we're looking like Sprung and/or Jack, yet. And everyone knows you can't compete with Elmdor.)

I'm curious to know what sorts of things you guys have kept around from your childhood, especially since our ages are scattered over such a wide range. The item of mine that started this whole thought process is my SNES, which happens to be one of those originally produced in 1993, so the top half of the plastic is that nice yellow color that makes it look like people have been smoking tobacco around it for the entirety of its life. I can't even remember when we first got it or how, all I know is that I've had it for ages (relatively~) and though I've contemplated selling it multiple times, I don't think I ever will. Plus, I got a new controller for it (now I actually have two for the first time ever!) and some super cool EP member sent me one of his dupes of Starfox, which I'd never actually owned before~

I didn't post this in GG though, because I feel it'd be unfair to limit this just to gaming related items. I also have a few other things that I keep around, tucked in closets and other forgotten places since I was little. One of them is a Strawberry Shortcake blanket that I think my great-grandmother made for me. The backing is torn and some of the thin filling material has come loose so in some places it's little more than a piece of faded patterned fabric, but I fondly remember having that blanket, making tents with it on various tables around the house, or snuggling up with in it bed.

Actually, I have quite a few things that I could mention, but those are a couple of my favorites. So, what kinds of things do you guys still have kicking around that you just can't bring yourself to get rid of after all these years?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I've got heaps of stuff, so I have no idea what to mention in particular.

I'll just mention one thing and maybe post again later

A small hand axe my Grandfather gave to me when I was a kid.
    He brought it over here with him from Europe after the end of the second world war.
    I don't use it now (it's in the shed), but I did take it with me just about everywhere I could when I was small...camping in the bush, holidays down at the beach, and when I went out collecting firewood with Dad (4wd & trailer) and friends/relatives.

Edit:
    Also got a Panasonic Panapet Model 70 radio that my Uncle gave to me when I was a kid.

il_570xN.226816889.jpg
    Last edited by deadlegion; 27th-August-2013 at 13:52.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

While it is not really from my "childhood" considering it was just like 5-6 years ago. I still have my 8th grade year bus pass from when I lived overseas in my wallet. I have no idea why I have kept it for this long.

I also have a European no stopping sign that I took
    Probably should go get that from storage and hang that up in my dorm room.

Thanks

I still have my Ps1. It's all chipped and doesn't really play anything. I don't think I plan on seeing it to be fixed but yeah I just hanged on to it.
    I still have my iPod nano 1st gen as well. Battery is low and doesn't really run longer than 10 minutes now. The fact that it's labelled 1st gen is why I'm holding it really.

Lastly, I still have my little league gear. I don't play baseball anymore, so they're just sentimental. I still got the batting gloves, baseball glove, bat, and helmet. The helmet still fits oddly enough. The glove and bat were hand-me-downs too so it raises the sentimental value a bit more.

Username: SoySauce (or similar) Name: Kenshii

Thanks
    EP Points

I have my atari 2600,it doesn't work. I've had it since I was three,I think. It was the first system that I played, even though I it doesn't work,I'll never throw it out. I have tea cups that my grandmother got me when I was little, I appreciate them more now that she's passed.I have things from middle school/high school,I look at them occasionally and laugh at how naive and hopeful I was.Sigh.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't really have much of anything from when I was younger. A few books, some games, some movies... nothing really that old, though. My N64, I suppose. Got that when I was 8.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have one box of LEGO that my mom kept and my X related comics are there too.

That's it.

Nothing else left.

I has a sad

Thanks. Thanks a lot Milady

Thanks
    EP Points

My Pokemon cards, complete in the bowed binder separated by type and rarity with pricing stickers on the front from one of my vain attempts to sell them off at a garage sale.

Mid-90s Funcoland game pricing guides.

Old DOS games: the original Commander Keen collection, Lemmings, Sorcerian, the "Moraff's" games collection, etc..

My steamer trunk from Boy Scouts, stuffed full of various camping gear and merit badge books I haven't used in 10 years and probably won't ever use again.

A train set. Not the little metal model trains you see collectors displaying, but a larger plastic set, with plastic rails. Not at home at the moment so I can't check, but Google has led me to believe that they're New Bright G Scale trains.

A Henry Ford biography I read in 7th grade for a paper I had to write on an "influential person in history." And yeah, believe it or not, he was influential beyond just making cars.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thankfully I still have a ton of stuff from my childhood. Pretty much all of my old toys(Legos, K'nex, Micro Machines, action figures, matchbox cars, etc.) are in boxes down in the basement. Unfortunately I lost ALL of my childhood/adolescent video games during my "adventure" in Las Vegas. Though I did subsequently purchase my dad's old collection of Genesis games. That I used to play so much when I was a kid.

One thing that I recently re-discovered, previously thinking it lost forever. Were all of the pictures that I ever took. So my ex-wife called me up a couple months ago saying she found some of my old stuff in her garage. Lo and behold when I go to get the box from her, among the junk, is my stack of pictures in a zip-lock bag. It's only about 50-60 pictures. Most of them were pics of people on one of my last days of high school before summer. Probably sophomore year. While the others are of a lot of people and memories that I had long forgotten. It's always awesome finding something that you thought lost for so long...now if only I could find my Blockbuster Video Game Championship framed winner's certificate.

Though if I were to list the things that were my most cherished belongings from my childhood. It would be two particular stuffed animals. One, is an old stuffed Whinnie the Pooh that my parents gave to me on my first birthday. I just also happened to be in the hospital that day. Because I had somehow inhaled a fragment of my mom's chipping ankle cast. I was told that it had gotten stuck in between my bronchial tubes and I could've died. I will always keep it as a reminder of just how close I was to dying. The second one is a stuffed Koala bear from the old cartoon Shirt Tales. This one doesn't have a story attached to it like the one above. I just remember having it all throughout my young childhood.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu View Post
    My Pokemon cards, complete in the bowed binder separated by type and rarity with pricing stickers on the front from one of my vain attempts to sell them off at a garage sale.
    I can't believe I forgot about my Pokemon cards~!

I have mine in those plastic card protector sheets with nine spaces on each side, in order from 1 to 150. Still have a few blank spots for the ones I was missing. Then they went and made up all those new Pokemon and crushed my hopes of ever finally completing my set.

Actually my collection is part mine and part my sister's, after she got a cool foil Charazard and I got a Mew for my birthday from one of my friends when I was like 10 ( ), we decided to combine our efforts. Needless to say, a few of our best ones came from ripping off stupider kids in horrible trades.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

When I saw this thread again, I just remembered that I still have a teddy bear that I received from a fellow patient in a mental hospital. He's pretty important to me.

... yeah...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

A couple more things...

Star Wars dolls figures.

And one of these:

Gakken-GalaxyInvader1000.jpg

CIB and in GWO, although the box is a little battered looking.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    When I saw this thread again, I just remembered that I still have a teddy bear that I received from a fellow patient in a mental hospital. He's pretty important to me.

... yeah...
    I've seen enough horror movies to know how this ends.

Dibs on your stuff.

On topic: I have more or less nothing aside from some old furniture my family ditched right around the time I moved out which wound up becoming mine at some point.

Everything else has either vanished, been passed along to younger relatives, or is stockpiled in some random corner of the parent's basement.
    Last edited by Raype; 15th-September-2013 at 11:26.

Thanks

Also a teddy bear here, got it as a birthday present from my dad who was in the hospital and couldn't get me anything.

Also a dolphin squeak toy that was a gag gift from a friend that I keep in my car as a good luck charm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I have loads of things from my childhood. One of my favourites is my Dr. Strange poster by Kevin Nowlan ^___^