Thread: My computer is laggy and tries to crash

Thanks
    EP Points

Default My computer is laggy and tries to crash

My computer is a HP G42 Notebook with a AMD Athon 2 P340 Dual core processor 2.20ghz.
    Since Weds,my computer is getting slower. When I type;it slows down and I have to wait for it to catch up. Any website that I go on,it stops working and says that it's not responding. I've erased extra stuff from my computer thinking that it would help.I did a disk cleanup,defragged it and I'm not sure what else to do.I'd appreciate any advice/help.Thanks.

Thanks
    EP Points

Check your startup sequence for unnecessary items. Run msconfig, click the Startup tab and scan through the list of checked items for anything you don't need running all the time. You can also check the Services tab, check "Hide all Microsoft services", and check that list for unnecessary items.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

a program i would recommend to use would be CCleaner, good for clearing out your temp files and Junk, i too would recommend what MaslowK Said to check your Start up Items if you hit the Windows Key + R Key it will bring up the "Run Box" then type msconfig in there and go to the start up tab and look for things in there that don't necessarily need to start up when you log on to your PC, this wont Uninstall them from your PC so if your afraid you will "Wreck" a program that you use you wont . for instance iTunes has things start up that don't NEED to be running for the program to operate so you can Disable them from your start up to help your PC Speed up, so just go though them ans see what is in there if you have questions just ask in here im sure me or MaslowK or anyone else for that matter can answer your question .

also i would not recommend getting any "programs" that SAY they speed up your PC (ex Uniblue Speedupmy PC they dont really do anything and just clutter your start up)
    Last edited by Crazymooshu; 27th-August-2013 at 04:08.

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:
    Processor: AMD FX PileDriver FX-8350 8 Core CPU ~4.0GHz (4.2GHz When Turbe Kicks in )
    Memory: 16GB AMD Entertainment Edition Ram Sticks (4x4096)
    Hard Drives: 180GB OCZ Vertex SSD for OS 1TB For Games 750GB For Data 500GB for Movies and Ubuntu)
    DVD Drive:1 ASUS Blu-Ray Burner and 2 DVD burners
    Video Card: Asus GeForce 660
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A97
    Power Supply: OCZ ModXstream 650 Watt
    Computer Case: Cooler Master Strom Stryker (White)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymooshu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I work in IT for a university and we see this happen more frequently than I care to admit. It usually stems from the fact that someone browsed to a site and got infected something. I would heartily suggest using Malwarebytes. The free version is fine. We have used Symantec as our primary anti-virus tool and things that slip by it are usually caught with a scan from this product. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

As a completely different suggestion, depending on how large your hard drive is, if you are looking to get extra speed and longevity out of your system, as well as increasing battery-life and overall stability, I heartily recommend swapping out your internal hard drive for an SSD. It has extended the life of a number of our machines for an additional year or two in many cases. Faculty who were frustrated with the performance of their machines felt like they had gotten a brand new computer. Just a suggestion.

Peace.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheBoyEclectic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoyEclectic View Post
    I work in IT for a university and we see this happen more frequently than I care to admit. It usually stems from the fact that someone browsed to a site and got infected something. I would heartily suggest using Malwarebytes. The free version is fine. We have used Symantec as our primary anti-virus tool and things that slip by it are usually caught with a scan from this product. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

As a completely different suggestion, depending on how large your hard drive is, if you are looking to get extra speed and longevity out of your system, as well as increasing battery-life and overall stability, I heartily recommend swapping out your internal hard drive for an SSD. It has extended the life of a number of our machines for an additional year or two in many cases. Faculty who were frustrated with the performance of their machines felt like they had gotten a brand new computer. Just a suggestion.

Peace.
    great point i overlooked could be just some malware as well i personally use Malwarebytes all the time at home and at work (i work in the PC repair business for a Retail Chain). it will pretty much find any malware out there (i mean nothing is 100%) but its pretty close to it.

Good Suggestion TheBoyEclectic

Computer Specs
    Spoiler warning:
    Processor: AMD FX PileDriver FX-8350 8 Core CPU ~4.0GHz (4.2GHz When Turbe Kicks in )
    Memory: 16GB AMD Entertainment Edition Ram Sticks (4x4096)
    Hard Drives: 180GB OCZ Vertex SSD for OS 1TB For Games 750GB For Data 500GB for Movies and Ubuntu)
    DVD Drive:1 ASUS Blu-Ray Burner and 2 DVD burners
    Video Card: Asus GeForce 660
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A97
    Power Supply: OCZ ModXstream 650 Watt
    Computer Case: Cooler Master Strom Stryker (White)

Thanks
    EP Points

Go: Start - Run - type Msconfig and check boot settings and disable anything you don't need. Secondly check for any programs you aren't using and remove them. In my opinion run CC cleaner ( I find it the best not complicated and easy to remove once done with ) and clean your pc from a lot of junk files ( not everybody recommends using these types of software ). Finally scan your pc for viruses ( make sure you update before )... If you still have the problem I would suggest you format.

This could be a problem due to your hardware specs a dual-core processors clocked @ 2.20ghz should run windows 7 and browsing flawless... What is the amount of ram you have ? ... I saw that somebody suggested an ssd, it's a great choice but in my opinion it's costly ( to get a 240gb one ) and if your pc doesn't support sata 3 it would be kind of a waste of money because from 500mb/s it gets limited to around 250mb/s whilst an normal mechanical hdd is 150mb/s but that is up to you.

Hope this has been of help

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LukeeVassallo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I have 3gb and 2.74 usable. I've checked how much I'm using and it's not a lot. I'm try your guys' suggestions,I appreciate your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Another to thing to possibly check (if you're using firefox) is your plugins/extensions.
    Although if your computer is crashing and sluggish without even using a browser then this is probably irrelevant

There a few things that if installed and enabled, are vulnerable.

Like:
    Java Platform...disable if vulnerable or update.

Shockwave Flash...older version is vulnerable and should be disabled, update to the latest version and it should be ok. You need this plugin for embedded vids and crap.

Adobe Acrobat PDF plugin...older versions are vulnerable iirc. Disable if vulnerable or update.

As a final note, don't have heaps of plugins/extensions for firefox 'cos it's a resource hog without them anyway.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

All my plugins are up to date,and I got rid of the useless ones.