Thread: Running Theme Park (Bullfrog) on DosBox

Thanks

Default Running Theme Park (Bullfrog) on DosBox

I keep hearing that it should run on DosBox with an ISO, but when I unzip the file it comes with a bunch of stuff that I have no idea what to do with. What's even stranger is there's exe's and as far as I knew this was always a Mac game. I'm also just lacking in any basic knowledge on emulation, so I'm sure I just need a push in the right direction or I'm making some amateur mistake.

Thanks
    EP Points

First of all, dosbox is for emulating dos not mac so if you plan on running mac games you may want a different emulator
    Second, the game runs fine on dosbox. What you downloaded is not the ISO. I believe it is the floppy version of the game from this site. To get that running you just need to run the PARK.BAT through Dosbox.
    To do that follow these instructions
    1. Extract the Theme park.zip in \,E:\ or whatever drive. This should create a folder called Theme. The reason I told you to extract it in the drive and not some subfolder is because it makes things easier.
    2.Run dosbox. You should get "Z:\>" with the cursor blinking next to it.
    3.Type "mount a [Name of drive]:\Theme". This mounts the game directory in dosbox.
    4.Type "a:" This should change the "Z:\>" to "A:\>"
    5.Now all you need to do is to run the game. To do that type "Park.bat"

Thanks

Thanks for your help I think that may have done the trick. The only problem I'm having now is that I don't seem to be getting any new rides, or stores. Don't know if you can help me here, but is it possible that the files that have that information aren't being found?

EDIT: And yes it does have an installation file. I've tried downloaded two versions, the one off emu paradise and another one with multiple discs and here's my two problems with both versions.
    On the version of emuparadise when I use the installer I get a message telling me to install it from floppy. With the other one the installation process seems to go ahead but then it asks me to put in the second disc. I have the files for all the discs I just don't know how to move on to that next step.
    Last edited by zenvenom; 24th-August-2013 at 17:54.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Theme Park was indeed released on PC

Give me a moment I will have a quick look at the EP version for you

I can't get ours to run either what you should do though is, type install and go to save settings (after setting the sound options) then exit, this will create a bat file called park.bat then run that new bat file

EDIT figure it out well sort of

Get the (F) one as well extract this to the same folder you extracted the other to and over write all files

Then run the park.bat file that is created with the install file and you hit save settings in it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-August-2013 at 20:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I found a better copy which I uploaded here.

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Might wanna replace the ep one with this.

Anyhow tested and works.

I decided to use a frontend for dosbox and found this one which seems pretty good.

http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/#download

Just set it up and download the game and extract. The main executable for it is tp.exe

Run the dbgl program and run the game wizard. Name it theme park and point to the main executable as tp.exe. and you can select the game from the list that pops up and it will ask you to pick a profile for it - I went with the higher nineties one. basically just follow the wizard - no install has to be done. Having a graphical interface will probably help you out in the long run. The game is probably going to run at light speed but you can slow the cycles down by pressing ctrl+F11 and ctrl+F12 speeds it back up. The increments for the cycles (game speed) go up and down by 5% steps but these can be changed by right clicking the game profile in the gui menu and you can find the option to set your own cycles and increments by how much they go up and down.

Edit: saw your edit(s) their Zorlon so I guess it's working then? Weird that it needs the (french?) version to work - maybe their were some files missing from the other or someone didn't split it up right? Odd.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 24th-August-2013 at 21:55.

Thanks
    EP Points

You need to research new rides and stores. The more dosh you put into research the quicker you get them

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    I found a better copy which I uploaded here.

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Might wanna replace the ep one with this.

Anyhow tested and works.

I decided to use a frontend for dosbox and found this one which seems pretty good.

http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/#download

Just set it up and download the game and extract. The main executable for it is tp.exe

Run the dbgl program and run the game wizard. Name it theme park and point to the main executable as tp.exe. and you can select the game from the list that pops up and it will ask you to pick a profile for it - I went with the higher nineties one. basically just follow the wizard - no install has to be done. Having a graphical interface will probably help you out in the long run. The game is probably going to run at light speed but you can slow the cycles down by pressing ctrl+F11 and ctrl+F12 speeds it back up. The increments for the cycles (game speed) go up and down by 5% steps but these can be changed by right clicking the game profile in the gui menu and you can find the option to set your own cycles and increments by how much they go up and down.

Edit: saw your edit(s) their Zorlon so I guess it's working then? Weird that it needs the (french?) version to work - maybe their were some files missing from the other or someone didn't split it up right? Odd.
    there seemed to be files missing, that's all, the french at least I think it's french.. copy seemed to fix it and fill in the gaps in the data files.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    there seemed to be files missing, that's all, the french at least I think it's french.. copy seemed to fix it and fill in the gaps in the data files.
    Yeah I noticed the posts and edits after I posted that as I had my reply open for awhile whilst testing that version I found. Still I suppose it's handy having a copy with everything included if anyone wants that one.

The important thing is that the other is working even if you have to get the french part which is still odd. Whoever originally ripped/uploaded that did a terrible job
    Last edited by Zaladane; 29th-August-2013 at 17:27.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Whoever originally ripped/uploaded that did a terrible job
    Can't argue with that

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Hello,
    I have a similar problem: Theme park opened by Dosbox actually can save a game, but if I go back to "dos" or completely turn off the dosbox, I can not load the saved game next time I play it (I can see my saved files in SAVE dir).
    Let me write, how I run the game:
    I have Theme dir with all the files (along with SAVE dir) in c:\. I open DOSBOX mount a a:\Theme, choose a: and then main.exe

Could you help me? What I am doing wrong?

Thanks
    EP Points

When the game asks for a name at the beginning make sure you are entering the same one your save file has.
    The game uses a weird profile system.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vibhor For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It works! I've never thought my entry name is so important. Thank you very much!