Thread: Selling my modded Wii, are there any risks?

Thanks

Default Selling my modded Wii, are there any risks?

Now that I'm building a full-fledged gaming PC that can operate Dolphin, I've no use for my Wii. I'm thinking of selling my system, an extra copy of NSMBWii (I have this and every other Wii game I owned on my external drive), and the power cables that came with the system. I'm not selling the controllers, since I can use them via Bluetooth.

However, my Wii is completely modded, of course. Where can I sell my Wii for the best price? Will I need to wipe my system first, before I can sell it? What will happen to me if I sell my modded Wii as is?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Lol. You can sell it modded, so don't worry about that. The party van will not be coming to take you away. Not having controllers will hurt the value a bit. As for getting the best price it's hard to say. How quickly are you wanting to sell it? The real problem is that at this point just not many people actually want Wiis and the low retention rates for the console mean there are more consoles available for sale (sitting at used stores, lots of actual auctions on ebay) than people really want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Lol. You can sell it modded, so don't worry about that. The party van will not be coming to take you away. Not having controllers will hurt the value a bit. As for getting the best price it's hard to say. How quickly are you wanting to sell it? The real problem is that at this point just not many people actually want Wiis and the low retention rates for the console mean there are more consoles available for sale (sitting at used stores, lots of actual auctions on ebay) than people really want.
    Lol me being paranoid. I need to sell it for at least $50 by monday, so I can get the optical drive and the cable I need for my gaming rig. I wouldn't mind getting more money for it, though.

It looks like, at this point, that I could coax one of my friends to buy it for $100, but I'm not sure that I can contact them in time.

How much does Gamestop give you if you turn in a used Wii? Will they say anything to me if it's hacked? (I live in the US btw)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I sold mine on Craigslist relatively fast for a bloated price, given I sold the controllers too. how large is your HDD?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Moonkern View Post
    Lol me being paranoid. I need to sell it for at least $50 by monday, so I can get the optical drive and the cable I need for my gaming rig. I wouldn't mind getting more money for it, though.

It looks like, at this point, that I could coax one of my friends to buy it for $100, but I'm not sure that I can contact them in time.

How much does Gamestop give you if you turn in a used Wii? Will they say anything to me if it's hacked? (I live in the US btw)
    $50 shouldn't be a problem. You can generally find someone who will pay for the convenience of pre-modded. Maybe someone dumb enough to value the games on the hdd...It would really help to include one remote and nunchuk.

Gamestop won't give you piss.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm not selling my HDD, I'm using the games on there to use Dolphin for myself. I don't really care about the buyer, they'll need to find/download their own games (and controllers).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I see. Well in that case, you'll be lucky to get $100 from your friend. no one else would pay that. :\

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    I see. Well in that case, you'll be lucky to get $100 from your friend. no one else would pay that. :\
    Yeah I'll second this. If he can hoodwink his friend then he should go for it. As long as he won't feel bad afterwards.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    They cost less than that brand new
    I think even crimeconverters sell used bundles for $50 or less.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,301 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Christ man, if you want to sell a used console you need to include a controller. People will just look at the new price of controllers, and subtract that price from what they're willing to pay you.
    I just bought myself 2 used Wii's for $30 and $20. Those are fair prices for the Wii right now, it's dead and there are 100 million of them floating around. Without a controller the console is nigh worthless, and whoever is looking to buy your Wii will probably be a reseller looking for parts...
    Last edited by Ragnar; 26th-July-2013 at 13:35.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Keep the Wii, if you are under the impression Dolphin is perfect for all Wii games, you are sadly mistaken, Dolphin is yet to be so perfect it can outright replace a Wii

A Wii unit on it's own with power and AV is just not going to sell, specially as you consider that most 2nd hand Wii's go for less than it costs to buy a controller, and that is with controllers plus a game or 2

No one with a half a brain is going to buy something they can not use, unless it's for parts and only looking to pay around $5 to $10 for it, though if they can get extra controllers for $20 they are more like to do that anyway .

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Christ man, if you want to sell a used console you need to include a controller. People will just look at the new price of controllers, and subtract that price from what they're willing to pay you.
    I just bought myself 2 used Wii's for $30 and $20. Those are fair prices for the Wii right now, it's dead and there are 100 million of them floating around. Without a controller the console is nigh worthless, and whoever is looking to buy your Wii will probably be a reseller looking for parts...
    Spot on. And you better worded what I was getting at about the controllers. Controllers for the Wii are nasty.

They are worth about $50 here if you have all the fixings.