Thread: a weird problem:by pressing a key " computer"( the local disks folder) is opened

Thanks

Default a weird problem:by pressing a key " computer"( the local disks folder) is opened

This problem started few months ago. at first it wasn't a real bug but now it is driving me mad.
    for some unknown reasons each time i push a key or press mouse buttons ," computer"_I mean the local disks folder_ is opened .
    the first time this problem occurred, i was playing a game which needed using SHIFT button too much(It was an online game). when I found out the problem I stopped playing the game so there wasn't any problem till last month when the problem grew stronger with no good reason and I realized that with pressing mouse buttons the " computer" is opened too.
    once I wanted to surf internet , my computer was opened so I closed it and immediately it was opened again then I closed it but it was suddenly opened .after a few minutes of closing and even minimizing "computer" the problem was solved for a short time( maybe for one day or less). now it is sometimes opened by pushing a key ( especially when I'm playing games and with arrow keys) but not like that day.Any way it is really bothering me since it crashes my games. would you mind helping me please?
    (one important thing: Because I was nearly mad, I went to ease of access center and I unchecked sticky keys ,filter keys and other things but this didn't change any thing)

this is my computer specs
    processor: intel core i3-2120 3.30GHz
    mother board:ultra durable series
    memory: (i don't know which type it is) 4.00 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
    OS:windows 7 ultimate 64-bit operating system _ service pack 1
    Device manager statue: there is no problem
    Last edited by merin; 25th-July-2013 at 18:29.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I moved your previous thread to the Computer Tech area because there's where it should go. The FAQ section is meant to post guides and tutorials.

Moved again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookie Monster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by merin View Post
    This problem started few months ago. at first it wasn't a real bug but now it is driving me mad.
    for some unknown reasons each time i push a key or press mouse buttons ," computer"_I mean the local disks folder_ is opened .
    Is it when you hit any key or when you hit specific keys? In either case my first guess would be a faulty keyboard; if you have a different one you can try then do that first, to rule out your keyboard itself being an issue (a faulty keyboard won't necessarily come up as an issue in the Device Manager).

My second guess would be you've got some software (possibly malicious) that is binding certain keypresses to open My Computer. The easiest way to rule this out is to disable startup entries you don't recognize.

To do this, click Start, type "msconfig" without the quotes into the search bar and hit enter. On the new window, go to the Startup tab and uncheck anything you don't recognize, then restart your computer. If that doesn't help, start disabling the rest of the checked items one by one (with restarts in between), and see if that fixes it. Don't worry about unchecking anything particularly important; you should still be able to boot back into windows and recheck items if it causes any new issues.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

you know something when i started my computer today "computer" was opened without pressing any thing. But it is mostly opened by arrow keys ,"z"and"x" buttons (both are used in games) and with numpad keys.( Sometimes the problem is a real bug but sometimes it dosent matter.)
    would you mind helping me with the faulty keyboard issue ( I have another keyboard but it has some problems) and also if it is a virus is it possible to delete it with antiviruses ?( i use avast) one more thing shall I restore ease of access center settings for sticky keys and other things?
    Last edited by merin; 26th-July-2013 at 10:44.

Thanks
    EP Points

I would still highly recommend trying the other keyboard even if it does have specific issues. If it is a problem with the keyboard you're using then you shouldn't be having the My Computer issue with the other one regardless.

If it is a virus (big IF, it's hard to say in this case) causing the problem it'll work in one of two ways; either the virus itself is changing what keys activate My Computer, or it made changes to windows itself in which case removing the virus won't fix the problem.

A problem with antiviruses is that viruses can be written specifically to go undetected by particular ones, so if your AV scanner isn't picking up anything, it wouldn't hurt to install and run a different one (I'd recommend either Avira or AVG for free ones).

Another thing you could try is going to the device manager, finding your keyboard, right clicking it and clicking Uninstall. After this restart windows, and let it reinstall the driver automatically. If it doesn't do it automatically for some reason, go back to the device manager and there should be an option to update/install the driver manually through windows update.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

I guess I found out the problem.my keyboard has a "computer"shortcut which is too sensitive(it opens " computer" without pressing and only with touching the button but it doesn't open other things that fast) .in your opinion could it be because of this shortcut and how can i disable it?

Thanks
    EP Points

My guess is that's probably the issue then, the shortcut itself. Since it's a shortcut specific to that keyboard, there most likely won't be a way to disable it through windows unless your keyboard came with special software for it with that option.

If the shortcut being activated by unrelated keys (z and x for example) it's either a hardware issue with the keyboard itself or an issue with the driver its using. I would try removing the keyboard through the device manager and reinstalling the driver as I described above first. If that doesn't work, do a google search for your specific keyboard (look on the back for a model number and search that with "driver"), and if you're able to find a specific driver, install that instead.

If none of that works then it's most likely a damaged keyboard, in which case your only option would be to replace it. I'm seeing them listed as cheap as $8 online for a USB one, and thrift stores sometimes carry them for even cheaper.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post: