Thread: Disk reading Errors (but drive is fine) Possible ios conflicts

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Disk reading Errors (but drive is fine) Possible ios conflicts

Hello fellow Wii Owners/Hackers.

My Google FU has completely failed me on this one, so i'm reaching out for help.

In an effort to give you as much infomation to help you help me solve my current issue, please prepare for a wall of text:

My Wii is a Day 1 Wii, that has been hacked since the initial release of the Twilight hack way back in the day. Over the years, it's been further hacked, updated, etc etc, up until today.

Over that period, Obviously back then, disk based backups were the order of the day, so eventually installed dark corps, So they would run from the disk channel etc, and over time moved to USB loaders and Neogamma for gamecube backups, with the cmios and what not. And copying the games from the Disks to the hard drive worked a treat, so moved onto a fully USB loaded world.

Now however, Something has gone wrong. I've moved to a new bigger HD, and am now using Fat, with 32kb cluster size, with a view to move to an emulated nand, and USB gamecube loading etc, and thought while I was at it, I would copy all my games still on disks (my originals, and other backups I did not have room for on my previous HD) onto the nice new one.

CFG loader gives me ERROR! (ret = -2) when I try to copy the disk via the + Button.
    Wii flow gives me a disk open error when i try to copy it via that.

But then discovered, even more worrying, that original disks are no longer read in the disk channel. Booting a Disk from CFG loader and Wiiflow also failed.
    Thinking that my Disk drive had died on me, as I had not used it for a long time, finally tried NeoGamma.

It booted. An original, a backup, and a multigame Gamecube backup.

So the drive is fine.

So now I turn to you guys for help, What could be goin on here? Obviously some kind of conflict going on what with the vast ammount of Ios's, cios's and other wads/mods that have been loaded over the years.

I Have used modmii to "rehack" my wii. making sure i had all the latest files etc, Still no go.

To further help you, I tried to run system check, so you could get a view as to whats actually running on my Wii, But that also seems to be failing. About 75% of the way through the Checking for Vulnerablities, it boots me out back to the bootmii menu.

So, any ideas guys?

Also, as a Side note, I do, of course, have a bootmii nand backup, from when I first installed bootmii a few years back, But by that point, obviously i had already had quite a few hacks installed. I know that to use Sneek, you hack the Nand open, and delete a lot of the contents. Am I able to use that process to "virginise" my wii, and start over? Im not fussed about savegames etc, just rather start again. I know its been said in the past that you dont need to start over, just re-hack it, but in my case, thats clearly not worked.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah you should be able to restore the nand from a backup and start over

I do strongly recommend modmii when you go to start the process again... or you can try running through modmii anyway in the hope it fixes this anyway

modmii not only makes it easy it also uses the most recent mods, one thing it does not do is install beta's or dios mios

newer beta usb loaders can handle GameCube from HDD as well as running a virtual nand for saves and channels

I also have a day1 Wii still working fine as far as I know (My HDD isn't with my Wii at the moment that is with my kid sister for now hooked to there Wii) some discs did need updates though to work (official ones that is) though I tend to only pop official discs in my wii when I back them up to the HDD but the fixes are not needed to do that, my nand is rather full of saves but I use the virtual nand instead now, as the internal nand kept running out of space.

I love the virtual nand thing, it can be a bit of a pain to sort/setup but once you are there it works just fine, no more running out of space for Wiiware/VC/saves

I may at some point look into booting my USB loader directly, at the moment I'm not so sure if that is a good idea or not though.. specially if something goes wrong at some point
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-June-2013 at 11:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks for the reply Zorlon.

I've basically had nothing but trouble with this thing over the past few days.

Restored my old nand backup, Bricked the bloody thing. Had to run a Nand Formatter,(thanks to bootmii) Got a bare bones 4.1 system running, and rehacked it. But turns out my dvd drive has straight up stopped reading disks. which is a shame. Also, discovered my new HD I bought is not compatible with USB gamecube loading (nightmare), and I cant even use the old one either, as that's incompatible also.

Now not sure whether to even bother with a virtual Nand or not, as it seems rather too much work, for what I can see, not much gain. Only reason I wanted it was for Sneek, so i could have all my HDD games show up on the main screen, but then discovered the autoboot feature of Priiloader, and the WiiChannel style of USBloader GX, so no real need. And now the Nand had been formatted, and is bare bones. (as in disk channel ONLY) theres more than enough space there for saves. I may reconsider it if I get an itch for some WiiWare titles (or my son bothers me to play eduardo the samurai toaster)

I may get a second hand wii at some stage, but for now, I'll have to stick with what I have, and play my originals on m WiiU.

Many thanks.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Didn't know there was compat issue with GC software from USB, asides from the compat issues Dios Mios has itself

Did you format the dives to Fat32 with 32kb cluster size (the cluster size is the important thing, no HDD will work without that, default format tools set that to 64kb cluster size)

No point in getting another Wii most don't read DVD R's anyway and you have your WiiU for original, and the Wii plays fine from USB

I would use the nand thing just for Wiiware & VC from a virgin status Wii myself, possibly saves as well depends on who would end up using it as well as yourself.

Yeah I use USB Loader GX myself have done for years, n yeah I have it so it shows all my GC & Wii games, as a bonus it shows all the games on my Virtual Nand and real Nand channels as well (not that I show my real nand)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-June-2013 at 18:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah, The HDD is fat with 32kb cluster size. Apparently, its not the hard drives themselves that cause the incompatibility, but the USB controller that they use. WiiHacks has a thread for compatiible hard drives, and lucky me I have 2 of the incompatible ones.

With the whole NAND thing. Doe's it really involve hacking the nand apart and compiling code etc? I mean, I'm a computer tech, so its not a case of being too technically difficult, its a case of whether I can be bothered or not

As for the Gamecube thing, there's not too many games that I would want to play on a regular basis anyway, so I may just put a 32gig SD card into play, using dios lite.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The nand thing is very very easy

Your thinking too much about it, it's alot more simple than you think it is

1. extract the a nand dump (with a single tool) [I will dig out the info for you if you want]
    2. use a "wad nand manger" (again a single tool for that) to add games ect to it, or even remove unwanted channels
    3. copy over the nand folder (the extracted nand) and point the USB loader of choice in the right direction
    4. enjoy

sorry for not being exact I don't have my Wii HDD to hand that not only has the games ect on it but also all the tools I use/used
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-June-2013 at 19:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well if its that easy, It goes right against most of the guides i've seen, so any info you can pass on would be great.

Cheers

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

https://sites.google.com/site/parann...nand-extractor
    https://code.google.com/p/showmiiwads/

those are the two needed progs just follow there guide lines on how to use each, both are used direct on your PC as it makes the process quicker and easier to use, i.e. manage the wads on the PC side rather than from the Wii, it's a quicker and cleaner way to install wads

and yeah it is that simple

the info you have seen must be old outdated information

have a play with it

The hardest part is setting USB Loader GX to use the virtual nand

P.S. I don't know what your Wii is doing with a disk drive to start with diskettes went with the dark ages lol not sure why it took me this long to see that ... on that note I don't know how we put up with disks and worse yet tapes lol
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-June-2013 at 20:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]