Page 60 of 262 FirstFirst ... 1050555657585960616263646570110160 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fresh Flesh-Eating Prince Out: A one tonne baby to rule them all.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    The same could be said of the Hobbit trilogy. Diluted substance
    They could have just done the hobbit in one film and left it there.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Seems like a nice action RPG, but way too much chibi nonsense...and is that a moogle,?
    Yeah it's silly, but as the 3rd niche Vita game I heard about being brought over today, I am very .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Sprung has already made up his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tassadar View Post
    They could have just done the hobbit in one film and left it there.
    One four or so hour film would have been ideal (since we knew Jackson was going to stretch it. I wasn't too agitated by the 2 film thing that was originally announced (assuming it was going to be 5-6 hours) but this is just ridiculous.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

*school literature discussion*
    Gatsby is highly functional as introductory literature. FSF is a decent enough writer to use several important writing techniques and tricks but a shitty enough writer that they're incredibly shallow and apparent, while still managing to be decent enough outside of said techniques to give it some level of class (partially because it grandfathered in and partially because it pulled a sizable bait and switch). It's the sort of thing that belongs in entry level to moderate literature courses simply because anyone with a density below "black hole" can spot things like the metaphor involving the green light or the billboard. Which gives a good diving board to analysis of more complex concepts. Probably not something that belongs in a high school level course (since by then anyone should have the idea that "sometimes something is more than what it is" should be old hat by then, especially in our current media glutton culture), but it has its place. Or you can go the "writer is clearly writing about himself" route and note that the entire subtext of Gatsby might as well be "Zelda, I realize I'm a racist asshole who's fucking everyone in a five mile radius (including Hemingway apparently) but you're no prize either. And that's why we're meant to be together and are a far better match than you and that social ladder climber you're fucking who cannot possibly have with you what I do. PS: I hope he dies". Which is an incredibly blatant example of an author writing "what they know" and putting experiences into their work, whether they realize it or not. ("So, how about those Germans?" -JRR Tolkien)

Twain is also a good introduction to intermediate satire, but it's incredibly dated and is often skimmed over so that people can talk about race relations and whether or not saying "nigger" in school is PC. Shakespeare suffers a similar fate in academia. Honestly you'd get a similar result from plopping some people down in front of some late night television but that's probably not something you'd get away with so Twain it is.

There's better stuff out there, but as stepping stones into better work, they're pretty decent. Unfortunately a lot of people don't go beyond that stuff and it perpetuates the idea that the only good books were written 50+ years ago and are all about a bunch of shit that's no longer overly relevant.

I have enjoyed some Dumas and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I wouldn't call them favourites, but it was bearable. I actually have a really nice Count of Monte Cristo set lying around somewhere. Unsure what edition, I'd have to find it.
    This post brought to you by that exact moment when you get into a conversation about the moral implications of the plot of Monte Cristo and it becomes apparent that the other person has only seen that terrible movie from a few years ago.
    Last edited by Raype; 7th-July-2013 at 12:38.

Thanks
    EP Points

1984, kthx.

Thanks
    EP Points

Btw Ray, Cartagra and Kara no Shoujo 2 English versions announced yesterday by Mangagamer. Good shit.

Thanks
    EP Points

Coffeeeeeeee

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's been years since I've done either.

What are some of your favourite books Raype?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    It's been years since I've done either.

What are some of your favourite books Raype?
    I totally dig "Hop on Pop" and "There's a monster at the end of this book".

Because, after all, isn't there a little monster in all of us that we're struggling in vain to flee from?

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    1984, kthx.
    School relevant Orwell.

Always the choice of champions.

Btw Ray, Cartagra and Kara no Shoujo 2 English versions announced yesterday by Mangagamer. Good shit.
    Not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, yay more IG stuff. On the other, wasn't too big on some of MG's translation choices in the past. KnS1 wasn't overly terrible because it was translated by some guy who then sold it to MG. And even then it was a bit spotty at times. If this is being done in-house, well, I remember Edelweiss. There's a reason MG has been sticking to nukage.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh, they're that bad? Although, now that you mention it... I did read KnS1 in English and it was acceptable, I guess, but all the honorifics irked me, and there were indeed a few dodgy lines.

I translated a couple of KnS2 scenes on my Youtube channel, once the Eng version comes out I might do a comparison for the lulz.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    This post brought to you by that exact moment when you get into a conversation about the moral implications of the plot of Monte Cristo and it becomes apparent that the other person has only seen that terrible movie from a few years ago.
    Oh hai my idiot former best friend from high school, who fought and squirmed to get into AP lit. class senior year because she was tired of everyone being smarter than she was, and then couldn't figure out why she was failing when she refused to read any of the books.

At least in that class, we got a list every quarter or so of five-ish books that we could choose from to read. One time one of the choices was The Little Prince. Score.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So I don't know how many of you are near a half price books, but they are running their tiered coupon promo again. Today is the best day and even though it says one per customer per day, unless you run into someone anal or something they will usually let you keep using it (within reason I'm guessing, it probably doesn't hurt that I'm amicable and charming ).

http://hpb.com/

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    So I don't know how many of you are near a half price books, but they are running their tiered coupon promo again. Today is the best day and even though it says one per customer per day, unless you run into someone anal or something they will usually let you keep using it (within reason I'm guessing, it probably doesn't hurt that I'm amicable and charming ).

http://hpb.com/
    Having worked in a retail place that runs tiered coupons, it's less hassle in the long run not to fuss with people who want to keep it. Especially when there are multiple registers in each area of the store BUT THEEEEEY LET ME KEEP IT OVER THERE. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS BRAND IS EXCLUDED. WAH WAH WAH.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Oh, they're that bad? Although, now that you mention it... I did read KnS1 in English and it was acceptable, I guess, but all the honorifics irked me, and there were indeed a few dodgy lines.

I translated a couple of KnS2 scenes on my Youtube channel, once the Eng version comes out I might do a comparison for the lulz.
    When they started out, they had a guy who was russian and spoke some japanese and english as their sole translator. He was native in neither English nor Japanese. He heavily used one of those text translator tools.

I'm not making this up.

They got "better", but even now their translation level is well below most fan translation groups. The difference being that fan groups don't charge money. KnS had a couple issues and shows obvious signs of being translated by a fan (hello useless honorifics!) but it was just a handful of guys doing it in their spare time who later figured "people are making money by selling fan translations, we might as well do that". When you realize that initially they weren't being paid it makes any issues considerably more forgivable (not unlike subbed anime). But Mangagamer, a company that charges actual real money (and loads of it at that, we aren't talking steam sale prices here), comes off like the terrible speedsub version of it.

Also, whoever does their editing needs to be shot. But then again, they hired a bunch of random people online and frequently paid them shit wages and gave them crazy schedules which often resulted in them shipping a half finished/proofread project to make a deadline, so there's loads of management issues to get around too.

Last I checked the guy who did KnS was being snubbed by MG pretty hard and seemingly vanished into the aether. He did do a Cartagra TL that was never released (he did this before KnS1 IIRC) but part of that was MG refusing to release something so old and IG feeling it wasn't going to make money anyway. If he's back for KnS2 it could be passable, but I find it unlikely. And switching from one translator to another (particularly one who is unlikely to be good, as most of the actually good fan translators threw their stock in with JAST) is bound to introduce further issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    Oh hai my idiot former best friend from high school, who fought and squirmed to get into AP lit. class senior year because she was tired of everyone being smarter than she was, and then couldn't figure out why she was failing when she refused to read any of the books.

At least in that class, we got a list every quarter or so of five-ish books that we could choose from to read. One time one of the choices was The Little Prince. Score.
    The Count of Monte Cristo is all about revenge being totally justified and the idea that you should take what's yours by any means necessary.

Also, Romeo and Juliet is about gang violence in SoCal.

1984 has a happy ending.

Also, Gatbsy is totally a heroic figure and there's this awesome subplot about alcoholism. Which is funny because a guy survives a goddamn war and what lands him in the loony bin is a few too many scotches. When he rarely ever is shown drinking. And-

Oh hell.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Also, this friend sounds fun.

I'm guessing by now she has 2-3 kids and looks terrible?