Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is a videogame soundtrack to you?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default How important is a videogame soundtrack to you?

I feel they are very important to the games overall atmosphere and drive to play and do your best.

I would like to know how everyone feels on this subject.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Not much really. I generally can't stand in game music and for the most part I turn it down a bit if possible. I pretty much play without noticing anymore anyways. I don't mind if it's just a low atmospheric sort of thing like some horror game type of deal. Unless it's got licensed music that I like, like some of the GTA style radio stuff etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Didn't realise I trolled you this hard on skype.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Not much really. I generally can't stand in game music and for the most part I turn it down a bit if possible. I pretty much play without noticing anymore anyways. I don't mind if it's just a low atmospheric sort of thing like some horror game type of deal. Unless it's got licensed music that I like, like some of the GTA style radio stuff etc.
    Yeaaaah buddy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Very important. Granted, I tend to play RPGs, a genre that tends to focus on character development, story and emotional shit. But even in any other game, if there's a huge bossfight, having kickass music in the background will enhance the experience (and your morale). Prime example below, roughly from 12:30-ish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_eZ5jvZO9M&t=12m33s

Shit is fucking orgasmic.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Very important. Granted, I tend to play RPGs, a genre that tends to focus on character development, story and emotional shit. But even in any other game, if there's a huge bossfight, having kickass music in the background will enhance the experience (and your morale). Prime example below, roughly from 12:30-ish:

Exactly

Well Said
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

I really love game music it's something I always loved since a little kid I think without it lot's of games would be really boring to play! I still remember to record some snes music into a tape using a mic to listen later. And when I was at my father's car I used to go humming the Top Gear 2 songs. ahh good memories

Sometimes I even replay a game to listen to the music and I get lot's of soundtracks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    I tend to avoid games like that
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within
    the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Thanks
    EP Points

For me it depends on the genre. In an FPS I don't care much about music, and it usually sounds weird to me when there is any (like some parts of black mesa source)

For some genres its absolutely necessary such as Fighting, Racing, and RPGs. In these genres you're pretty much doing the same thing over and over so a lack of music will bore the shit out of you.

For other genres such as Action Adventure, Horror, Adventure, Strategy, etc. I don't think a good soundtrack is necessary but they certainly do improve the experience when available.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post

But that music is terrible :\

Thanks
    EP Points

I prefer what Norihiko Hibino did in MGS2 but that's just me
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within
    the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Thanks
    EP Points

How important? Extremely, Koji Kondo's music for the Zelda series is amazing. My favorite VG soundtrack's besides Mario.
    My Video Game Codes

“Evil cannot create anything new, it can only distort and destroy what was invented or created by the forces of good.”

― JRR Tolkien

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    But that music is terrible :\

(I do like the entire soundtrack, actually.)

Thanks

Of secondary importance. The best thing to happen to modern-setting games was GTA3 and the subsequent explosion in custom soundtracks.

Obviously a good soundtrack can enhance atmosphere somewhat (and, likewise, a poor one detracts from it) but any game that can't put an atmosphere together without relying on the soundtrack has issues.

Thanks
    EP Points

Music can either enhance or destroy the experience of a game take for example Sonic Unleashed. Nice soundtrack yay, *turns night time* nooooo turn it offfffff!

So I always tend to prefer the importance of a soundtrack as it gets you more involved in the game. So on my importance list its just shy of #1 on my list with #1 being the actual game itself (if the game sucks but still has a good soundtrack only the soundtrack gets points, might as well be a music CD instead XD).
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemongenius View Post
    Music can either enhance or destroy the experience of a game
    Agree.

Soundtracks are really important to add the "touch" that blends with the game, but sometimes... yes, it can ruin the whole experience.
    One game that creeped me a LOT more with his soundtrack/music back in the old days was "Resident Evil"... man, being in that damn Mansion plus that creepy tones... the intention was making the player uncomfortable when he/she play it?, well, with that combination... they achieved it with no doubt.
    Last edited by HaMM3r; 22nd-June-2013 at 22:04.

"Most people don't believe something can happen until it already has,
    that's not stupidity or weakness, that's just human nature"

Thanks
    EP Points

considering at least 1/2 or more of my music collection consists of video game music, even if i don't like the game, i sometimes go ahead and download the soundtrack to listen to on my mp3 player while playing others games and whatnot.