Thread: MGS 3 Runs great but some scenes lowers FPS and Sound Lags

Thanks

Default MGS 3 Runs great but some scenes lowers FPS and Sound Lags

My specs:
    i5 3570k [email protected]
    16GB RAM @ 1600
    ATI 5870 HIS ICEQ Turbo
    2 HDD @ 7200 RPM

So First time trying out this ps2 emulator. Downloaded the latest emulator and running the v02.00 USA bios (SCPH-70012_BIOS_V12_USA_200). I love MGS so I downloaded MGS3 JP version. Everything runs great but like the scene in the beginning where they open plane door where snake is about to jump out, it lags out. Not just the visuals, but the sound as well. I remember on the ps2 you can tell visually the scene would drop frames but the sound was still in tact.

So i change the video settings to from Direct3D9 (hardware) to Direct 3D11 (hardware) and change the custom scaling of 1920X1080 and enable some AA. Now everything looks great in like the HD release of MGS collection but still see the visual lag and hear that horrible sound lag like it was being slowed down. But so far in gameplay i haven't noticed it. But i can imagine when i fight "The Fury" it will lag big time because on the ps2 i remember seeing big frame drops mainly due to the fire he would shoot out.

So any suggestions to what I can do? Thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

You can always try some of the speed hacks. Go to config drop down menu, then click on emulation settings then click on speed hacks tab. If your cpu has more then 2 cores i'd recommend turning on the mtvu speed hack(basically lets the emulator use up to 3 cpu cores)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    You can always try some of the speed hacks. Go to config drop down menu, then click on emulation settings then click on speed hacks tab. If your cpu has more then 2 cores i'd recommend turning on the mtvu speed hack(basically lets the emulator use up to 3 cpu cores)

No, that didn't help. Still the exact same. I've also try increasing the VU Cycle Stealing, but that made gameplay just slower. Saw no difference increasing the EE Cyclerate.

And then finally, i decided to turn off Speedhacks. But no, the exact performance where the game runs great, except for those scenes. Thanks for trying but any other suggestions?

Thanks
    EP Points

You can also try switching from hardware mode to software mode. Most of the time things seem to run faster in hardware mode, but i've seen some cases where software mode actually runs faster. Don't forget to enable extra rendering threads for software mode, you can find that in the configuration menu for the graphics plugin, usually 3-8 extra threads is the most you want to enable. Also you can always try changing the graphics plugin that you are using. If all else fails then try using a lower resolution or native resolution.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 19th-June-2013 at 17:59.