Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSi 1.4.5U flashcart suggestions

Thanks
    EP Points

Default DSi 1.4.5U flashcart suggestions

I'm not sure which one I should get, but this one: https://www.ndsgamer.com/shop/articl...-GOLD-3DS.html

is what I will most likely get, yes I have a DSi with 1.4.5U so AceKard is out of the question. I'm looking to get one for 20$ US or under with shipping included. I also would like to know if this site (NDSGamer) is trusted , I would rather not order from a Chinese site because it takes a good while longer.

I know there are some flashcart experts on this site that's why I chose ask here. The SCDSTWO is the one I really want but I'm not willing to spend 40$ ATM.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-June-2013 at 10:34. Reason: Fixed link
    My Video Game Codes

“Evil cannot create anything new, it can only distort and destroy what was invented or created by the forces of good.”

― JRR Tolkien

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The DSTWO cart is the only one worth getting, I don't know if the Acekard2i still works with DSi consoles now, they are blocked on 3DS consoles though now

Check the official site for the card and make sure it works with your model DSi and see what you need to do to upgrade it to make it work with your firmware

Actually looked at the official site myself, you will either need a DS/DS Lite to make the card work or you will need the USB updater to update the flash kit and make it work on your DSi

The kernal is something different, they call the card firmware updates a patch "This new patch is only for DSi/XL V1.45, it's applied for those R4i Gold 3DS revision (6,7,8,9,A,C) cards"

It will cost extra to get the USB updater http://r4ids.cn/r4ids-e.htm

I hate R4 in general now (used to love R4 when it really was R4) the reason for this is because it has so many clones and there is no real R4 kit now, even this one that is the best R4 you can get has the exact same card under the name R4iDSN 3DS, it has the same revisions the same updates the exact same USB updater, they do have different internal ID's but that really is the only difference, asides from the sticker on the card

They do have different internal ID's though so don't be silly and use the updates from one on the other
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-June-2013 at 12:21.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks Zorlon.

I can't use AceKard because it's not compatible with the 1.4.5 update. I read further & found out that the bootloader on the chip is not upgradeable.

I have some unfortunate news though, a while back I got an "Action Replay Wii" which uses the LetterBomb exploit (thieving Datel) & it comes with a 2 GB micro SD card & a micro SD adapter in the shape of a standard SD card, here is the bad part: the other day I put it in my DSi & it got jammed in there, so the system had to be opened up to remove it. Opened up the system & removed the card, put DSi back together & nothing. It no longer works, the orange light just would blink when I tried charging it. The battery was in right, even tried my bro's battery & nothing.

The good part: So I found out after registering my DSi it added a 3 month warranty, just sent it off yesterday, they said it could take 10-14 days to arrive back. They (Nintendo) also just added a whole year warranty on it. I think I messed it up because my finger touched the PCB. I learned a valuable lesson : NEVER take apart your DSi. Isn't there some gloves you can buy to avoid damaging the the hardware when touching it?

Another question: So I need to know if these sites who sell flashcarts for DS/DSi/3DS will accept pre-paid. Most only accept a VISA credit card.

I e-mailed NDSGamer & asked if they accept Mastercard bank credit/debit, but they haven't replied back. & I sent them an e-mail this past Saturday.

Another good thing is this card comes ready for 1.4.5, & I don't plan on updating my DSi anymore. Even though when it was bought about two months ago it came with 1.4.4 firmware, I only updated it so I could check out DSiWare; bad move most games on there look like they suck except for Earthworm Jim & Bookworm.
    Last edited by 47iscool; 21st-June-2013 at 06:23.
    My Video Game Codes

“Evil cannot create anything new, it can only distort and destroy what was invented or created by the forces of good.”

― JRR Tolkien

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nintendo will update the DSi to the latest firmware for you

Had to set a 3DS back to Nintendo twice, each time it was updated, last time that blocked my Acekard2i, I had replaced that shortly after with a DSTwo anyway

P.S. if the sites support is that bad I would be a little put off
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-June-2013 at 09:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Well Nintendo hasn't, to my knowledge, released 1.4.6 yet for DSi. I actually hope they don't make anymore updates for it, but like I said the card works on 1.4.5.

Off-topic: I bought a matte red one because that's all WM (Wal-Mart) had, & they told me if they (Nintendo) had to remove the casing I would have to choose another color, I chose black because I used to have a black DS Lite that I sold (dumb move) & that matte red is just ugly. Actually matte is ugly on anything IMO.

Thank you for replying to my thread Zorlon, I was starting to wonder if anyone would.

Has anybody on here ever had a fuse blown from using a flashcart? I have read on other sites about this & it makes me wonder if this still happens.
    Last edited by 47iscool; 21st-June-2013 at 20:20.
    My Video Game Codes

― JRR Tolkien

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Never happened to me no

Sorry just seen your edit

Never had a fuse blow on me and have used flash devices on every version of the DS I have had

DS original
    DS Lite
    3DS
    3DS XL

I skipped the DSi I never had any interest in the added camera, the 3DS asides from the 3 camera's and the 3D has a much higher res for game play in the upper screen, though this is only effective for 3DS games DS games work as they would on a DS asides from the XL having a bigger screens, that is bigger for both DS and 3DS

Flash kits I have used
    EZFlash 512 GBA flash kit with a DS PassMe by Supercard (EZFlash Kit was not the same as the EZ-Flash kits) with a DS original
    M3-Lite GBA flash kit with a DS PassMe by Supercard with a DS Original
    R4 Original with a DS Original and DS Lite (This flash kit was actually the same as the M3 Simply with a 00/01 switch change, updates could be exchanged if the ID is changed 00/01)
    M3 Real with a DS Lite (I had the kit with a GBA Expansion Pack and a Rumble Pack)
    AceKard2i with a 3DS (was in my DS Lite aswell but only to update it)
    SuperCard DSTWO with a 3DS & 3DS-XL (was in my DS Lite aswell but only to update it)

I still have a DS Lite (though it has seen better days, my girlfriend is not exactly delicate when it comes to handheld consoles, the screen is a little scratched and she broke the screen break, so it just freely flops about)

My original 3DS is what my GF uses now

I use the 3DS-XL

I have had faults with my first 3DS and sent that to Nintendo twice but the issues caused had nothing to do with the flash kits, first time it was a dodgy connection to the screen, I forgot what the 2nd issue was but it was only something like a month later so I would guess, that was a fault with Nintendo's repair

I admit I have only gone for the best flash kits I could at the time, but even when the price has been higher than other flash kits it is still cheaper than buying the games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-June-2013 at 12:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey Zorlon, do you or anyone else know if dwtechz is legit? They are the only site I know that sells flashcarts & accept paypal.
    My Video Game Codes

― JRR Tolkien

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Myself never heard of them, but that is not to say they are not legit

Copyright © 2013 does say they are new this year though and I got my last card last year, in fact used the same people for a while now but they take apx 4 weeks to arrive as I used a place based in china

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I am pretty sure they are from China too, they are listed on r4ids.cn list of sellers so I'm guessing they are legit.
    My Video Game Codes

― JRR Tolkien

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 47iscool View Post
    I am pretty sure they are from China too, they are listed on r4ids.cn list of sellers so I'm guessing they are legit.
    I would of thought so but even officially listed can still be dodgy.

Anyway i wish you all the best in getting your nice new toy to play with .

P.S. the 3DS just got another update (I updated my flash kits though then updated the consoles so I'm still all good)... I don't think the DSi has though so it's still looking good for you

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I would of thought so but even officially listed can still be dodgy.

Anyway i wish you all the best in getting your nice new toy to play with .

P.S. the 3DS just got another update (I updated my flash kits though then updated the consoles so I'm still all good)... I don't think the DSi has though so it's still looking good for you
    Well thanks, I really do appreciate that. I'll be sure to let you know once I get it. NDSGamer never sent me a reply back, so I'll probably just go with dwtechz.

Speaking of a micro SD reader, I already have one in the shape of a standard SD card. I'll never update my DSi again, most of the games on there suck, wouldn't mind getting Bookworm or Earthworm Jim though. I'm guessing this Action Replay DSi I have works just like flashcarts, because on the DSi menu the game name says: Game&Watch Collection.

Another thing I noticed is different about the DSi, you can't remove/swap the cartridge like you could using the original AR DS with a DS Lite. So I'm not sure if I can dump my own games with it (R4i Gold).

EDIT: Just ordered from dwtechz, will see what happens.
    Last edited by 47iscool; 27th-June-2013 at 04:25.
    My Video Game Codes

― JRR Tolkien

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 47iscool View Post
    Well thanks, I really do appreciate that. I'll be sure to let you know once I get it. NDSGamer never sent me a reply back, so I'll probably just go with dwtechz.

Speaking of a micro SD reader, I already have one in the shape of a standard SD card. I'll never update my DSi again, most of the games on there suck, wouldn't mind getting Bookworm or Earthworm Jim though. I'm guessing this Action Replay DSi I have works just like flashcarts, because on the DSi menu the game name says: Game&Watch Collection.

Another thing I noticed is different about the DSi, you can't remove/swap the cartridge like you could using the original AR DS with a DS Lite. So I'm not sure if I can dump my own games with it (R4i Gold).

EDIT: Just ordered from dwtechz, will see what happens.
    Dumping games isn't worth doing when they are already done

You can backup saves I guess, that should be able to be done

Both the DS and 3DS support cart swaps for that I would assume the same of the DSi, so the problem may of just been with the Action Replay itself, but yeah the newer action replays are a little like flash kits as in they pretend to be something they are not

Best of luck

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Cool

Well, I expect it to arrive within about 3 weeks, that's how long the SD gecko took from deal xtreme.

Thanks for all your advice, you're a good friend

I'll let you know once I get it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Got it yesterday, only took two weeks. Although my DSi is dead my bro's still works, the R4I Gold 3DS works just as expected so DWTechz is legit. In a few months I plan on getting another DS Lite. (Used to have one, sold it due to stupidity)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Shame if you had known that you were going to get a DS Lite there are better options for the DS Lite that includes great GBA compat aswell though maybe out of your price range anyway, those kits cost more than the Supercard DSTWO, I'm thinking of the M3-Real with GBA Expansion/Rumble, there are other alt Slot 2 3 in 1's carts that work with most slot 1 cards but these are not as perfect as the M3-Real kit is, real GBA flash kits cost even more again

Still sucks about your DSi but great that you are happy with the R4i Gold 3DS

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: