Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSi 1.4.5U flashcart suggestions

Thanks
    EP Points

It's all good man, eventually I may get a SCDS2 like you. I hear it has it's own micro processor which helps SNES & GBA emulation.

BTW it arrived in only two weeks, & the shipping was free.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I noticed that it had taken 2wks

SCDS2 does help in both emulating SNES and GBA but neither is perfect, so do not get it just for that or don't expect perfect emulation it's not, still much better than other flash kits that don't have that extra chip, the DS compat though is perfect from what I have played without any rom patching.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Every game game I've tried on my R4 works perfect, the only freeze ups I've had was because of certain cheats. I have no disappointments with it. The card does look & feel cheap, so I've got to be extra cautious with it. I do think the red PCB is pretty cool though. I'm also betting that SCDS2 kills battery power a little bit quicker than other carts, but I also heard it's more sturdy than other carts as well.

My bro will be getting his ACE 3DS plus tomorrow, I hear it's basically a rip-off of the R4 which kind of looks like the famous AceKard. Never understood why so many people like the AceKard more than the other cards, I guess it's because it's still developed by the original team.
    Last edited by 47iscool; 11th-July-2013 at 08:21.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The AceKard2i was another card that no patching is needed for the roms with the highest compat, I still have an AceKard2i though I can only use that in my DS-Lite, but in the DS-Lite I have a M3 Real kit that works for both GBA and NDS (GBA is not emulation so those do run perfect)

The Ace 3DS is not related to the AceKard though and as you put it is closer to the R4's it uses WooD kernal much like every other R4 card does

Can't claim to of noticed a battery performance loss but I do use a 3DS XL now that has a longer lasting battery than the normal 3DS, my girlfriend using my original 3DS all the time though and with a Supercard DSTWO but she has the thing on charge every night, takes it for walks to work and back as well.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-July-2013 at 13:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Well he got the ACE 3DS plus, it's more sturdy than my card but not as good on compatibility. So far CO Modern Warfare won't boot on his, it works fine on mine though. Another problem with it is the micro SD slot is VERY tight, a little hard to remove it out of it's slot. I had to download two different zip files with the firmware, at first the DLDI didn't work until I downloaded an "AOS" package. The good news about DS compatibility is since no more will be released my card won't need any updating, I guess that's one reason Nintendo made the DSi updateable so they can block out flashcarts.

I know from past experience that the DS Lite battery life is longer than the DSi as well. I also knew that the Ace 3DS wasn't affiliated with AceKard since they haven't released another card to work on 1.4.5 DSi. The Ace 3DS is also the cheapest card you can buy, I'm pretty sure it's Japanese because their site has two languages; Japanese & English.

When the Ace 3DS boots up it looks a lot like mine, so they were right when they said it was basically a modified version of the R4 OS.

Speaking of GBA on NDS/NDSL, I'm guessing Nintendo had a the GBA's processor in the NDS/NDSL, like how they do with most of their consoles/handhelds, keeping the hardware.

Sure glad I got my Wii back in 2010 before the GC memcards/controller slots were removed, mine is not capable of running DVD-R, but at least DM & Devo exist since Nintendo removed the debug commands from the drive.
    Last edited by 47iscool; 16th-July-2013 at 18:10.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Have you tested your own micro SD in the Ace 3DS and vice versa I'm wondering if the version of Wood for the Ace 3DS is not just the exact same kernal or if it is modified for the Ace 3DS also It would be interesting to find out if your Micro SD with the R4 kernal will work directly in the Ace 3DS and fix the game issue

Who needs to run Wii games from a DVD drive it only works at 2 3rds the speed for DVD-/+R's anyway so some games would of lagged, but from a USB HDD you actually get faster load times

There is a method in the works to play GC games with a classic controller but you need the original discs to use it, so that kind of kills that for most

It still plays the games from a USB HDD but you need the original GC disc to validate the game legally after you can play the game from USB HDD without the original disc
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-July-2013 at 19:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Tried it (my firmware on Ace 3DS), just gets stuck on "Loading". I'm guessing the hardware is different, mine has the "RTS" feature, which I hear is like a save state. (haven't used it yet)

The kernel is probably just a modified version of the one I have.

Since I put the AOS firmware on it (Ace 3DS) it now has an alternate menu, it sort of looks like the DSi menu. It has selections like "Game" which takes you to the normal menu to load games/apps, & other outdated emulators. Speaking of emulators, jEnensis is probably the the best Genesis/MD emulator, except it's under 3 MB ROM limit. nesDS works almost perfect with very slight graphics/sound issues. I know the DS has a little more power than the N64, although the two processors help out greatly, & it has 4 times the memory.

The Ace 3DS has one other problem though, the DSi dosen't always detect it. Not sure why.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah RTS = Real Time Saves, they are save states, but I wouldn't just use those as they can go corrupt very easy

Picodrive is worth getting as well for some Megadrive games

All flash kits will have detetion issues at some point, usually due to dirty connections just give the slot a blow...

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, all in all I really like the R4. (even though it's done by the Wood R4 team, who I hear is pretty good)

My R4 also just got another update to 1.61, which fixes a few Euro games.

After I buy another DS Lite I may buy a few more of these R4i's or may just get a SCDS2 which is about 42-44$ US. I will probably mainly use my R4i for a few Nintendo exclusives & NES/MD emulation.

BTW, have you tried MAME on the SCDS2? How does it perform? I would LOVE to play SFA2 on DS! If that game works it would be worth it!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

MAME sucks badly it's not worth the hassle, it's slow with sound issues

SFA3 has a GBA version though that should play ok on the SCDS2

Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-July-2013 at 06:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Something I figured out about jEnensis, turning on the H-INT emulation will make more games work. So far they all work decent with me.

I also see that Nintendo has gotten the R4 banned in the UK, are there still people who sell them over there? That really sucks for the UK though.
    Last edited by 47iscool; 12th-July-2013 at 22:09.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I import my flash kits, all flash kits are banned in the UK, it's not exclusive to R4 though over here, not that it stops us from getting them

I did have the original R4 at some point.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

So they don't check whats in the packages when they are imported? The R4i I have was imported too, strait from Hong Kong, after I get another DS lite I plan on stocking up on these things just in case they get banned or mine stops working. (hopefully it will last a long time)

Do you know what country the original R4 came from? I wonder if it is the UK? Or maybe it's always been China.
    Respect to all you English out there who hack consoles & handhelds to allow the freedom for us all to use them how we want to!
    Last edited by 47iscool; 13th-July-2013 at 02:28.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the R4 I got originally was from the UK yeah as was every GBA flash kit I had and the Supercard PassMe for the DS was also from the UK

every other flask kit I got since has been from Hong Kong anyway

there are still UK retailers online that sell R4 kits, but the price is higher than it is to import, most UK stocked retailers don't last too long though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-July-2013 at 09:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: