Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you rush through your games?

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm a RPG nut. Anything Diabloesqe and I will click until my fingers blister. I'm especially bad about clearing areas of the map. No imps left alive and no undead soldiers left unturned. And god forbid there is a dark spot on the map I haven't explored yet

I'm pretty much the same way with all games I guess. I just like checking everything out.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I never rush through games. Doing it seems quite pointless to me. Either I play them or I don't.
    In some GOOD games at some point story becomes bullshit and gameplay is just repeating one move on one or two types of enemies (like second disc of Star Ocean 3 or last hours in 'Answer' campain in Persona 3). You know that ending is near, two areas, five cut scenes left, whatever. You just stop playing?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponury_indor View Post
    In some GOOD games at some point story becomes bullshit and gameplay is just repeating one move on one or two types of enemies (like second disc of Star Ocean 3 or last hours in 'Answer' campain in Persona 3). You know that ending is near, two areas, five cut scenes left, whatever. You just stop playing?
    Yeah, if I'm not in the mood to play a certain game for whatever reason, I don't play it. For me, there's always a right moment to do things, so, if I feel the urge to rush through a game, it's probably because I should be doing something else.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponury_indor View Post
    Yeah, I've done that more than a few times as well. Namely FFX-2 and FF13-2. In both games I made it to the final areas, just before the big boss fights and stopped playing due to sheer boredom, and the fact that the story just wasn't that compelling anymore. Looking back, I have this problem more with RPG's than any other genre - sometimes they just turn into a total slog before the end and I'm just burnt out before I get there.

Thanks
    EP Points

I usually like to immerse myself in the games. It's what makes games different from other types of media in my opinion. So I usually end up doing stuff such as

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    walking around and savoring the atmosphere, looking at the environments, posters on the wall
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Solbadude View Post
    do slow pans on the camera to see everything. Walk up to the kings throne instead of running up to get the next mission
    to immerse myself more in the game. IMO the more you forget about your physical self when playing a game, the better it is.

I also agree with cookie on this:

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    there's always a right moment to do things, so, if I feel the urge to rush through a game, it's probably because I should be doing something else.
    The game's going nowhere as long as you own it. You can play it whenever you want.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

First time through, I'll try to see as much content as possible. For example, I replayed Megaman Legends a week or two ago. First time playing it on the big TV. I ended up spending about 15 hours in a game that you can easily do in 4 because I went to the trouble of trying to see as much dialogue as possible. i.e. I went around and knocked on every door in Downtown after every major story event to see if the dialogue changed. I said no to all of the questions when you're expected to say yes. I found a few funny things I had never seen before, like Roll saying "I'm sorry Megaman. I must have misheard you. It sounded like you said 'No.'" after the Marlwolf fight.

Thanks
    EP Points

For me, It depends from game to game. If I'm looking for a challenge, I'll run through it. If I really love a game, I'll slow down and admire the game's story and scenery.
    Right, now if I can just resist the urge to report you to base security...

Thanks
    EP Points

It really depends on the game or series. If it's a turn based RPG I tend to end up rushing through it, not having the patience anymore to sit and grind for hours on end. Being spoiled with frameskip probably didn't help either
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    It really depends on the game or series. If it's a turn based RPG I tend to end up rushing through it, not having the patience anymore to sit and grind for hours on end. Being spoiled with frameskip probably didn't help either
    Exp modifier codes are the best thing ever. I remember when I didn't cheat and would just grind all day. Dark. Times.

Thanks

I'm guilty for making great use of frame skipping, or turning Vsynch off on emulators. Especially on RPGs with repetitive battle systems. Last time I really abused that was Dark Cloud on PCSX2. The game ran much more to my liking at 180fps, or 3x the speed. I enjoyed the game, but I enjoyed it more at 180fps.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Exp modifier codes are the best thing ever. I remember when I didn't cheat and would just grind all day. Dark. Times.
    i wish the psp version of breath of fire 3 had exp codes, i could really really use some!

Thanks
    EP Points

well, if i do, its not because i try to. new games just feel as if they're getting shorter and shorter all the time. PC games not so much but thats partly thanks to modding and hacking of course.

Thanks

Well, I play game for fun, not for any missions. So I don't rush through the game-- I'm player to play the game, and I don't hurry to get the hints or points to lead others.

So, to me, it will be more enjoyable to the story, scene, suline and something else of the games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by _Gambit View Post
    I'm a RPG nut. Anything Diabloesqe and I will click until my fingers blister. I'm especially bad about clearing areas of the map. No imps left alive and no undead soldiers left unturned. And god forbid there is a dark spot on the map I haven't explored yet

I'm pretty much the same way with all games I guess. I just like checking everything out.
    That's what I was about to write I can't say I finish all games 100% but I do my best to explore all places enjoy the details and stuff! I'm playing Metroid Prime Trilogy and I really have the patience to scan everything I can and I still search for more to make sure I really scanned all.
    "Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within
    the heart of mankind." - Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Thanks
    EP Points

I rush only when i speedrun XD. On rare occasions i will rush to the end to get a terrible game over with like Sonic and the Black Knight or Sonic and the Secret Rings just no ok. Other than that I just play the game over and over, day by day until its done or whenever I feel like finishing it.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.