Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you rush through your games?

Thanks

I take forever to finish my games. I mean, its basically the reason why I have yet to really complete a video game in such a long time. FFXIII seems like its going to be the next game that I am actually going to finish for once, Im already on chapter 10. That being said, I didn't really try to "rush" through the game, but the game is so linear up to this point that it almost seems impossible to not "rush" it. RPGs are games that you just cannot rush or else it will fuck you over thousands of battles later into the game where you reach that one boss that you cannot beat because you bum rushed the game skipping over many battles and grinding opportunities (my experience with every RPG ever. It doesn't seem like I will ever learn... )

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks

I usually play the games with absolute no rush, like to explore everything (that's what she said ), every inch, every pixel, every everything
    I read and talk with all NPC's if possible (mostly in RPG's), they usually have helpful info that can help your chars in the adventure and if not at leas you learn some of his/her history there... It sound like a lot of boooooring way to play games... but it's not my case. >.<

"Most people don't believe something can happen until it already has,
    that's not stupidity or weakness, that's just human nature"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by HaMM3r View Post
    I usually play the games with absolute no rush, like to explore everything (that's what she said ), every inch, every pixel, every everything
    I read and talk with all NPC's if possible (mostly in RPG's), they usually have helpful info that can help your chars in the adventure and if not at leas you learn some of his/her history there... It sound like a lot of boooooring way to play games... but it's not my case. >.<
    Nice, same for me. I usually spent tons of hours for just one game, but it's worth every second!

Thanks

Whenever I first play a new game I like to take my time with it and soak it all in. When I've done everything I then go back and try to rush through it like crazy.

The first time I beat Crash Team Racing it took me 2 weeks, and that was about 2 years ago. Most recently I got 101% in one day... WHICH WAS YESTERDAY ;_;

angelboy77777 Guest

Yes I do rush through games, to save time.

Thanks

Hello Posters of EP!

I have found many of your play styles are not too far off mine! I really prefer to enjoy the game, but I do so in a logical and structured way.
    For example, if I have kept up with checking out what all the NPC's in town A say, whenever I visit another town, I will just HAVE to check what all the NPC's in town B and C and so on say, for completionist's sake.

As for the playthrough, a good game imo deserves at least 2 plays. The first one is just a playthrough with time not mattering, enjoying what you can of the game. In this phase I like to leave no stone unturned, if theres an unexplored area of the map or multiple paths to chose, I will walk them all. What happens a lot especially in adventuring games is when I enter into a dungeon lets say, I try explore everything even if it is slightly off track. So instead of taking a somewhat linear path from point A to B, I instead go from A into a side path, fully explore that, wind back to A and then take side path no2 and so on until everything in between A and B is explored. Hope that made sense to atleast someone!

The second playthrough is when the guides, faq's and the internet come out so I can appreciate the game deeper by exploring parts that I missed or just seeing someone else's perspective on the game. By this playthrough I usually have a goal orientated approach (mostly just achieve 100%, I am set on getting the triple digits in most games) so speed and optimisation is key. So in a sense this is a rushed playthrough but with the fact that I have already seen everything before so skipping it wont be detrimental to my understanding of the story.

Thanks for all your nice replies, it is interesting seeing how we all react different to games.

edit: However really good games, I don't like to used guides or any resources apart from myself and maybe a good friend, because it is much more satisfying that way.

Thanks

When it's a game that I usually don't care for I skip the grinding process and observation of the game and just try to beat it and get an achievement or 10.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

First playthrough I play like a sloth. Must complete everything possible, talk to everyone, and spend a fair bit of time just wondering around. My playtimes are usually really slow for the first, especially since I spend a great deal of time with the game on but I'm off doing something else.

Any following playthroughs I usually start speeding things up a bit, trying different things from the first playthrough, and I tend to skip what isn't needed.

Take Fire Emblem, I don't even want to know how many times I've played that. But I know it is safe to say I have tried maxing out every character at least once, and my my, I wasn't disappointed on several of them. Some become just outright beasts later on in the game. Or on games like that, I still don't have fast playthroughs. I may skip some side missions here and there, but if it is one of my all time favorites, I go through the dialouge and cutscenes every time I play it. Just feels so much better.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't usually rush through my games. When I play a game I want to enjoy as many aspects of it as I can so when there are secrets, I try to discover at least some of them. If there are bonus levels, I won't skip them.

I don't care how long it takes to finish a level in the game as long as I do it well. For instance, when playing a shooter, I get the most satisfaction if I kill all the enemies there were to kill and take as little damage as possible. I think that way I'm making the whole experience somewhat more realistic for myself. Imagine being a real soldier, reporting to your commander and saying: "Sir, the enemy managed to shoot off my leg, my arm, and my liver now has a hole in it. I gathered no intelligence along the way. On the plus side, I completed the objective in 5 minutes, sir!" - I think I made my point.

Then there are times when the game forces you to rush through a certain part. For example, I remember that in the early Call of Duty games sometimes you had to run ahead to proceed no matter how many enemies there were in the open field ahead. Usually, I like to take cover and take my enemies down one-by-one before moving forward but in those situations, enemies will keep spawning until you rush ahead and reach a certain checkpoint or objective. I hate when games do that.

And then there are games which may not force you to rush through them but will take measures to encourage you to do so. For instance: Left for Dead. If you walk around too much, trying to find every last zombie, every item, every room etc you will be exposed to regular swarm attacks. I don't really like that aspect of the game either.

And finally... the notorious time limit. I really, really hate time limit. Sometimes you would like to explore a bit, cool down and enjoy the view but I can't because there's the annoying clock constantly reminding you that no matter how well you go through the game, if you don't do it quickly enough, the effort is still for nothing. Sometimes it makes sense if a bomb is included or something but many times developers add time limit to the game just to add another element of challenge often spoiling the fun for people like me.

So I guess I'd say that not only do I not rush through my games but also I'm against forcing players to rush through games.

Thanks

First playthrough should be a pure and engrossing challenge, then speeedruns. Go ahead, speedrun dark souls lol. Not worth it.
    I took my time with oblivion and dark souls

The time was my problem with Dead Rising 1 & 2, yet still thoroughly enjoyed them both
    Last edited by deadlegion; 22nd-August-2013 at 05:32. Reason: merged posts
    I've beaten them all.
    All the one's worth beating, that is

Thanks
    EP Points

No,I tend to take time to enjoy the story.Although I usually play old Rpg's. With those games;I want to enjoy the story. To me the story is sometimes the best part.