Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gateway 3DS is the world’s first 3DS flash card!

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Default Gateway 3DS is the world’s first 3DS flash card!

Gateway 3DS is the world’s first 3DS flash card!
    The GATEWAY 3DS TEAM proudly presents the first ever video proof that many thought impossible. Below we show an unedited video of the device booting 3 different backed up 3DS ROMS consecutively which are loaded on the GATEWAY 3DS device via microSD cards. We hope you are as excited as we are!

http://wiiuhax.com/gateway-3ds-is-th...ds-flash-card/
    http://www.gateway-3ds.com/index.html

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong20302000 from GBAtemp

Finally this materialized

it is indeed not a fake but all the hardware you want for this has yet to be shown

ideally what this card does is make the Game Chip a Micro SD card
    the card will have to be formatted correctly and the right size (eg. you will need, 512mb,1GB,2GB,4GB cards)
    each card can only hold 1 rom at a time, as it takes up the whole space of the card
    surely you get the point here of whats its doing

the next thing is Save Data
    as you can see in the video there is only 1 save chip and thats built in, so if you change the game MicroSD without backing up and Dumping the Save data with a Save tool BYE BYE save
    as it is wiped as the game recognizes it as corrupt so deletes it
    so they will either have to provide a method of extracting/dumping the save or you get a R4i Save Dongle or something that does the job

basically this is a 1:1 clone sort of deal so only 1 at a time, no homebrew, no mods, no save tweaks

Nintendo will most likely just block this with an update to check the game Chip ID and then fail to boot it
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 1st-June-2013 at 09:24.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I for one will not be getting any hopes up

Nintendo will most likely just block this with an update to check the game Chip ID and then fail to boot it
    Even with that you are not forced to update but if you don't you do loose other features of the 3DS

Some games software may ask for an update before they are playable though

Normally I avoid 2nd hand games but with them being carts 2nd hand isn't too bad (I actually don't have a single second hand game yet for the 3DS) it's not as if you will get a 3rd way through a game only to find the media does not read and or the game starts to skip or stutter like you might with disc media, I do think that is a good way to get games cheap rather than a single game flash kit.

I can understand with older carts that used to have a battery in them because by the time you have the game the battery is going to be dead so without replacing the battery the only way to fully play a game is to have it always on until you have played the entire game

I guess we should wait a bit and see if this one actually comes to light and what on release features it has if it doesn't get blocked or Nintendo down there backs or even just vanish.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-June-2013 at 10:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

it look great so far. cant wait til its released

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zetagreen19 View Post
    it look great so far. cant wait til its released
    it will be released in about 2 weeks

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 3dsgamedemon View Post
    it will be released in about 2 weeks
    The wait continues.

Availability: End of June.

Lets see what comes of this

I am not interesting in buying one of these myself (Not at the moment) but I am interested in how well it does and how long it takes to get blocked.

Features they need to improve upon

Save Backups (for now your saves are lost when you change games)
    Other region games (for now you can only play games from the consoles region)

Features I don't like

1 game at time (only a single game can be played/stored on a MicroSD at any one time)
    No homebrew (I admit I don't see how that is stopped though, I'm sure if this card comes to light some clever person will get homebrew on it)

If homebrew does end up working though I would expect a multi rom loader plus save backups to microSD

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

July and still no news of release

In the mean time the 3DS has had a few updates

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Thankies I kinda thought this might happen

I expect the same thing happened to the olde Crown flash kit also

I don't blame Nintendo but I think they should just accept the DS flash kits now

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I just pre-ordered this against my better judgment, probably should have waited for a review or two. Oh well, fingers crossed!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's blocked

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This has now been released though personally I'm not willing to front £58.00 for something I am very unsure of and don't even know if it will work on my firmware version I have.

By the sounds of it you need be on a now very old firmware to use this

Currently it is not compatible with firmware above 4.5
    I am currently on 6.2.0-12E
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-September-2013 at 15:36.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Currently it is not compatible with firmware above 4.5
    Yeah, I've seen that on Aussie resellers sites too (It's like $99 from what I've looked at).
    But I've now seen at least one person claiming to have just received one, and that it has made their 3DS region free plus it has 5.1 spoofing.
    But I honestly don't know maybe wait for more verifiable feedback

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ditto I will be waiting it out and see what firmware it will work on if they ever update the thing to run on newer firmware before forking out a silly amount for a small bit of plastic and a bunch of Micro SD's

It seems you get 2 flash kits one is a DS mode kit mostly used to set the console up for the 3DS flash kit (It is interesting that the Blue Card does work on firmware 6.1)

Still no fix for saves that I can see so changing games = loss of save data, this makes the card a bit pointless for big games unless you sit and play it start to end without changing games and any games that use saves to unlock new features are gunna be a why bother if the save is lost and plenty of other game save features

Looks like I was right it will not work correctly on anything above 4.5 firmware, though they say
    We currently have a very convenient and user friendly way to enter into our Gateway mode, while this entry point has been tested up to 6.0 we expect it to be shut off shortly after we release. We can not stress enough the importance of staying away from any further updates! ( 6.0 compatibility is only valid for our initial entry point, as stated in point (1) we currently only support firmware version 4.5 )
    A very confusing quote I know but they only support 4.1 to 4.5 so anything that is higher will either only work to a certain extent or it will not work at all or they are currently working on 6.0 compat but have yet to release it again it's just confusing...

Myself I like to keep up to date, so unless I get a 3rd 3DS just for this kit (Not sure how you would update an older Firmware just to version 4.1 or 4.5 mind either from a new 3DS) I think I will be left in the dark for this one as lack of funds prevents me from doing that.

The compat on the thing is not exactly perfect but that's not really a big thing there are very few flash kits that are that perfect anyway and I think most 3DS software will work.

There are plans to make possible for 3DS homebrew that sounds very cool but then again a lot of there plans are at a stand still, but you never know.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I wonder how good would be the Blue Card? I mean, while I know that the Blue Card is just an R4i flashcard, I want to know how good the flashcard is. (I want to play ROMs and a lot of homebrew.) I am asking this because, since the Gateway 3DS comes with a DS and 3DS flashcard, I want to see if I should wait for the Gateway or buy a DS2 ahead of time.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Firmware 4.6 has the red card blocked anyway as of Firmware 4.6 we are up to firmware 6.2 I would guess then that the firmware of the 2DS is going to be at least firmware 6.0 and the Blue card will only use WoodR4 firmware if it is just a R4i that is very good for a homerew firmware but is also the worst type of DS flash kits that work on the 3DS.

R4 are not the best they require you to find patches for all the protected games but homebrew should work on just about any flash kit except for the few that use the extra mem that the SuperCard DSTWO uses

While I have mentioned the SuperCard DSTWO that is one of the best you can get and no patching is required and has support for more advanced SNES and GBA emulation with more game support and smoother framerate

Buying a 2DS and a Gateway you will be very very disappointed as it will never work as the Gateway will be blocked on the new 2DS as the firmware version will be too high for the Gateway to work that was blocked back on firmware version 4.6 before it was even released
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-September-2013 at 19:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]