Thread: why do people upload PSX ROM images as separate tracks?

Thanks

Default why do people upload PSX ROM images as separate tracks?

Hello!

A newbie joining the ranks of the glorious empire of emuparadise. I have been lurking about the forums and the site for a couple of years, but now I finally decieded to make an account for myself and amp up my participation to the community. There is a question though (in the title) that I would like to ask that I have not been able to find an answer to, and that is: Why do some ppl upload PSX games as separate tracks (usually the music tracks compressed into APE or something similiar) instead of just uploading a single image file with everything included? Does this really save enough bandwidth and server space to justify the grey hairs they generate on the heads of the poor newbies (such as myself) who have no clue on how to make a cue file to include all of the tracks so you can play it on an emulator easy peasy. And the decompression of the APE tracks is always one tedious extra chore that you could skip by uploading everything in a ready-to-use image file.

Cheers.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Reason people upload those bad seperate dumps is they are ignorant to what is good and bad.

Il be happy to explain the differences for you,

ecm+ape = non redump, stay away as these are mostly bad dumps.

iso+mp3 = downsampled audio tracks , stay away from um.

iso+wave = old style TOSEC, good but not as good as Redump.

single Bin+cue = This is known as a Darkwater Dump, missing some of the audio data.

Separate Bins+cue = Redump, Best Disc images you can get IF they match the Hashes on Redump.orgs website.

with TOSEC and Redump to make a single Bin/cue for easy emulating its as simple as mounting the cues in Daemon tools lite and using imgburn to create a new disc image
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by God of Battle View Post
    Reason people upload those bad seperate dumps is they are ignorant to what is good and bad.

Il be happy to explain the differences for you,

ecm+ape = non redump, stay away as these are mostly bad dumps.

iso+mp3 = downsampled audio tracks , stay away from um.

iso+wave = old style TOSEC, good but not as good as Redump.

single Bin+cue = This is known as a Darkwater Dump, missing some of the audio data.

Separate Bins+cue = Redump, Best Disc images you can get IF they match the Hashes on Redump.orgs website.

with TOSEC and Redump to make a single Bin/cue for easy emulating its as simple as mounting the cues in Daemon tools lite and using imgburn to create a new disc image
    I
    Why on earth are those bad dumps tolerated here on emuparadise? I was really looking forward to getting PAL versions of the Tomb Raider games on PSX to play on my Android phone that has epsxe. So if it's a BIN with APE files, there is nothing that can be done in order to get it to a playable form for an emulator? I can't just decompress the APE files into WAV files and somehow make my own cue file with let's say ImgBurn (which I am using and am familiar with)? Or would the WAV files need to be converted further into BIN files aswell? So that every track is basically a BIN file?

Two more question: what does EDC and no-EDC mean? And what does it mean if there is a version 1.0 and a version 1.1 of a game listed on emuparadise? Is the 1.1 an updated version that has been officially released on PSX by the developer/publisher or is it some kind of thing used by emuparadise to differentiate more recent dumps from previous ones?
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 19th-May-2013 at 22:13. Reason: double post

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

non redump images aint unplayable , you can play them fine , maybe

since when put back into a playable form and scanned with CDMAGE they have bad sectors , kinda like they were made from discs with deep scratches im guessing.

To make them into a playable form you will need 2 programs, monkeys audio and unecm.exe

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/
    http://www.neillcorlett.com/cmdpack/

in the cmdpack there will be the unecm.exe, drag and drop the ecmed file and itil uncompress.
    next get monkeys audio,install it, and decompress the ape files.
    now open your cue in notepad and change everything accordingly to match.

there you go, im sure Zorlon can help describe this process better , im not the best at giving descriptions
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by God of Battle View Post
    non redump images aint unplayable , you can play them fine , maybe

since when put back into a playable form and scanned with CDMAGE they have bad sectors , kinda like they were made from discs with deep scratches im guessing.

To make them into a playable form you will need 2 programs, monkeys audio and unecm.exe

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/
    http://www.neillcorlett.com/cmdpack/

in the cmdpack there will be the unecm.exe, drag and drop the ecmed file and itil uncompress.
    next get monkeys audio,install it, and decompress the ape files.
    now open your cue in notepad and change everything accordingly to match.

there you go, im sure Zorlon can help describe this process better , im not the best at giving descriptions
    Yeah I got that part with decompressing ECM and APE files into BIN files, but now that I have my BINs and my CUE file is edited to have the proper file names, how do I go about making a single BIN file out of them with ImgBurn? Do I just go into "build" mode and choose the CUE file as my source file/disc?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

ecm+ape are old redump versions and have since been proven that lots of those are infact bad dumps, most do match up todays redump data though, as for why they have not updated those I don't have a clue but I do not handle that side of the site personally

As for rebuilding the disc image to a simple single Bin+Cue, no you don't use Imgburn plus "build" mode, that will only break PSX CD images

1, install a virtual drive Daemon Tools Lite (free) is enough for that (install the extra drivers but not any of the promotion software)
    2, mount the cue of the game you wish to make a simple single Bin+Cue image of
    3, Start up ImgBurn in "write" mode (Create image file from disc)
    4, make sure the "Source" is set to the Daemon Tools Lite drive, mine is listed as 5.0.0 QHUHEB 678D2C5AZ (G:) I am not sure if that's the same for everyone (the (G:) would not be anyway) so when you mount the original disc image just take note of what drive letter the Daemon tools Lite drive uses
    5, Under destination just make sure you know where the new disc image is going to be and you know the name of it, or edit the name and destination there if you wish
    6, Hit the big icon as usual (Image of a Disc+Arrow+Disc on a Document)
    7, Wait for it to complete

P.S. do not try and use the original file name if you are saving the new image to the same folder
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-May-2013 at 12:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I dont know why they dont remove these (Sony Playstation ecm + ape files) bad dumps from the main site and still allowing people to download these pieces of shit. Either the PSX Section on the main site should be removed or updated with the actual redump versions.

Yes, i dont download these, so its not really a big problem, but people sometimes download these files (maybe some games couldn't be nowhere found) and upload them somewhere else where they dont even mention the file extensions.

Sorry for my english.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This is not a flame EP thread... Closed

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR