Thread: CD-R's that don't work?

Thanks

Default CD-R's that don't work?

Hello again. So, my friend gave me some 2 blank discs so I could burn a game on it and give it to him. For some reason, I burn the exact same iso on my own personal disc a while ago, which worked perfectly. However, when I burned it to my friends disc and tried it out on my console, instead of the game booting up, the console wouldn't recognize the burned disc as a game, and for some reason read it as a music cd with the title -Track 1 at the bottom. (But no sound was playing.) Is it a problem with the type of disc, or the disc burning program? I used Disc Juggler, the type of CD-R I've burned to previously is maxell, (Which worked perfectly) and the type of CD-R that didn't work is Memorex.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sounds like a bad burn to me if the console is not even attempting to read the boot up sequence

I have had plenty of both brands and they both have all worked so far.

I strongly recommend you look through the stuck guides thread and look at how to burn cdi images with ImgBurn, this is all I use for Dreamcast burning now...

If you have had Imgburn before just make sure DAO/SAO is on for CD burning, it's on DAO/SAO by default

DJ should be fine for cdi images but you have to follow certain burning rules, slowest speed, if asked to repair a CD image always say no
    Advanced. keep Mode as Audio, Offset 0, Block 2352, CD-DA all other options keep off except for Add post gap to 3rd party images

P.S. just in case do you want me to check the disc image and see if it is a self-booting image to start with, not every CD-R dump is infact there are plenty that are just not, utopia is needed for those, but as a small hint I can get every english game in Mil-CD format, so I may be able to find you a working self bootable cdi image though some I have are only ment for 99min CD-R's, most games will have a lower quality 80min rip or a split over several 80min discs rip
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-May-2013 at 12:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    P.S. just in case do you want me to check the disc image and see if it is a self-booting image to start with
    What? See;

Quote Originally Posted by thechzn1 View Post
    I burn the exact same iso on my own personal disc a while ago, which worked perfectly.
    To OP: I second using imgburn to burn your dreamcast games, specifically following this simple guide; http://theisozone.com/tutorials/drea...di-2012-style/

As far as the discs you're using, I can say I have used memorex CD-Rs successfully, however there have been times where it took multiple attempts with the same disc image, burning program and settings to get a working one (normally 1 in 5 or so wouldn't work).
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    What? See;
    Not every iso is self booting (not every cdi is selfbooting either) I can check and see if x image is selfbooting or not also a lot of the older rips are rather bad

A re-download of an iso is not always going to be the exact same CD image I know for a fact there are many rips of most games being both bad and good, selfboot and not selfboot, data/data and audio/data, re-sampled or pure, sorted or not sorted.

all the above make a difference to a game working on x console or smoother running.

On a side note though every CD-R brand have lots of different types of CD-R or grade of CD-R so one persons brand X CD-R my not be the same as anothers.

Never had a bad burn on Memorex CD-R's myself but every batch can have a bad disc or two, things that don't help are things like heat (sun light included) dust or just general miss care of CD-R media before burning so the discs may of been stored badly.

If the disc is fine though it may be that the Dreamcast needs a fine tune to get it reading CD-R media fully again
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-May-2013 at 14:00.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Not every iso is self booting (not every cdi is selfbooting either) I can check and see if x image is selfbooting or not also a lot of the older rips are rather bad
    I understand this. However, the fact that he was able to burn the disc image in question and have it boot (on the older discs, the maxells) is indicative that it is in fact self booting, no extra checks should be needed.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    I understand this. However, the fact that he was able to burn the disc image in question and have it boot (on the older discs, the maxells) is indicative that it is in fact self booting, no extra checks should be needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon
    A re-download of an iso is not always going to be the exact same CD image I know for a fact there are many rips of most games being both bad and good, selfboot and not selfboot, data/data and audio/data, re-sampled or pure, sorted or not sorted.
    Why are you arguing with me for the sake of it, grow up.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Why are you arguing with me for the sake of it, grow up.
    I was actually looking for clarification on self booting disc images, not trying to be confrontational or contrary. I'm not questioning your knowledge of hardware, I'm just curious how a disc image that does boot on particular media could not be self booting. For example, does the quality of a rip affect its ability to be self booting?
    Last edited by MaslowK; 25th-May-2013 at 23:11.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A re-download of an iso is not always going to be the exact same CD image

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]