Thread: translation differences

Thanks

Default translation differences

Hello Everyone,

I have a question. I know that NTSC U and Pal refer to the video format or something in the two different regions but what I want to know is that are the translations different for different region games? I want to download skies of arcadia legends fro mthe emuparadise roms section but the only availabe on is the european version. other than the fact that european games are pal are there any translation differences?
    Also do the two regions have different levels of censorship of "obscene" images?

Thanks
    EP Points

The european version has the option to choose between a few iirc including english for that game.

Pal can be english if it's say released in the UK and would be German if released in Germany while some have the option to choose (same with some ntsc games too) you can always tell with roms/isos if it has a letter in parenthesis like (g) would be german and (e) would be european etc.. ntsc format I think is also in japan which would of course be in japanese unless there's an option to choose but again most roms/isos should have a language notification and when it doesn't it's usually NTSC North America which would be english anyways (and again some games have the option to choose even for those because of spanish and french and sometimes others)

As for censorship I guess it depends on the country (or even the system if ported between a bunch, sega comes to mind with the old Mortal Kombat) but a lot of things seem to generally be the same.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 11th-May-2013 at 04:05.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Euro games are more likely to have a variety of language options, and sometimes there are multiple Euro releases of the same game with different language combinations.
    Also, Europe isn't the only PAL region.
    There may be censorship differences between regions, and up until recently there were noticeable censorship differences between European and Australian (both PAL region) games due to Australia not having an R 18+ rating (which it now has). So games would be censored down to MA level.

As for your Skies of Arcadia question, I don't have an answer for you

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PAL-E = Europe can have any european language in it, usually including English but not always, could be German, Italian, French and other euro languages

Generally no there are no translation differences, unless due to censorship or if something was noticed between a game going from NTSC to PAL, on the odd time PAL versions have had more problems fixed and have a later release date (this normally does not include translation fixes)

I presume you are talking about skies of arcadia for the Dreamcast as you have posted in the Sega console emulation section (Legends is the GC release)

As far as translation goes they are the same

Differences
    PAL-E VGA mode does not work (PAL-E Rip version has lag due to on the fly extraction but only on 2 CD's, originally 2GD's)
    NTSC-U VGA mode works great (NTSC-U rip version has no lag but is spanned over 4 99min CD's, originally 2GD's)

P.S. GD-Roms are apx 1.2GB hence some rips are spanned over 2 CD's and some require 99min CD-R's the PAL rip used compression that was extracted into Dreamcast memory, hence the lag

Both can run at 60Hz

For this game I would go for the NTSC-U version for the Dreamcast
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-May-2013 at 14:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I know that some games had differences. Some are subtle, any reference to religion was taken out of early nintendo games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Speaking purely for Skies of Arcadia, the original Japanese Dreamcast version had a few things uncensored which were later censored for the PAL and NTSC-U releases. For Legends, said censorship was not only kept, but was present in the Japanese version too for some reason. In short, the only uncensored one was the Japanese Dreamcast version. Though none of the censored bits were really a big deal anyway, to be honest.

Thanks

I was talking about the gamecube versions but I got my answer. Thank you all!
    Though I have another question now. I might make a new thread about it. Skies of arcadia legends semm to have two roms in the download section. One is Skies Of Arcadia READ NFO ISO which is 2.4 gb and the other is Skies of Arcadia Legends (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es) which is 904mb.
    What the large file size difference? the game is only 1 gamceube disc.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tahsin Tariq View Post
    I was talking about the gamecube versions but I got my answer. Thank you all!
    Though I have another question now. I might make a new thread about it. Skies of arcadia legends semm to have two roms in the download section. One is Skies Of Arcadia READ NFO ISO which is 2.4 gb and the other is Skies of Arcadia Legends (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es) which is 904mb.
    What the large file size difference? the game is only 1 gamceube disc.
    The reason for the confusion is because you posted in the Sega console section and the only Sega console to have skies is the Dreamcast the GameCube is a Nintendo console.

I will move this myself...

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

That's my fault, he originally posted it in Free for All. I moved it here cos I didn't notice the Legends part in his first post

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Wasn't very clear to start with :/

But to the OP the 904mb one will be a trimmed Iso (the junk removed) so it allows for better compression the 2.4gb one is a full disc image with all the junk still there, all GC images are 2.4gb originally and include junk data that prevents any good compression

The NFO will provide full info for the 2.4gb one as I don't have that myself or feel like downloading 2.4gb to find out I can't tell you exactly why that one is kept to the full disc image, it is possibly edited in some way though aswell, plus some of the older trimming messed up the file sort and align and broke some games, since then never seen a bad trimmed one though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-May-2013 at 10:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Oh so that's why. But why does nintendo put junk data into their gc discs anyway? Is it because the gamecube can't run a gc disc unless it MUST be 2.4gb?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah they did with all GC games, it is part of what made them unreadable on a PC drive, otherwise GC games are just on standard Mini DVD's

Even to read or edit an unaltered GC DVD image you need special software to see the real files on em

one reason for filling a disc is just to make reading go smoother, the same reason why we rip games with dummy files to fill a disc up

An actual GC can read discs of any size 2.4GB and under
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-May-2013 at 19:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]