Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have any words that annoy you?

Thanks

Default Do you have any words that annoy you?

Any words that annoy you for whatever reason? The reason can be as sensible or random as you want.

Anyways, here's some of mine:

Competitive - I hate this word. Why? Mainly because competitive online games have scarred me, but it's a word I associate with excessive complaining and people just being jerks over-all.

Pulled - When used to mention a card you got in a booster pack. I play a few trading card games, mainly Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, and I have always been extremely annoyed when people say something like "I bought a booster and made some amazing pulls". I don't know why, but to me it sounds wrong and I find it annoying.

Noob - Using it instead of "newbie" or "beginner" is fine, but anyone that has played any online game knows well that this isn't how people use the word. If I kill someone in Battlefield with [insert weapon here] I'm not a noob, actually, wouldn't that make me better? I'm the kind of person that experiments a lot in games too, with different weapons/characters/whatever, and it just bugs the hell out of me.

Intellectual - I don't know why. I literally have no idea, but regardless, I don't like it.

Your turn!

Thanks
    EP Points

"Efficient"

In a previous job I had, which was probably the worst one I've ever had because it was poorly managed by people who had no business in a position of power, we were constantly told we needed to be more efficient. Even though we were working as hard and fast as humanly possible, it was so mismanaged that nothing if significance was getting done. We were effectively spinning our wheels doing unimportant things, while the important things were left undone. And when the time came for the important things to be done, we were suddenly inefficient.

I quit.

That's the only job I have ever had that I just walked away from.

Thanks
    EP Points

Toon (what people call their MMO characters). It sounds really stupid, so why do people keep using this word?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

MY BAD

why in Hell can't people say My Mistake?
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

"My bad" rolls off the tongue easier.

Thanks
    EP Points

Made You Look - I fall for that everytime

Thanks
    EP Points

step up/stepped up to the plate.
    concussed
    conversate-It's NOT A WORD!!!
    When people don't like something,it's gay.People need to grow up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Wow, guys. No word annoys me

Thanks
    EP Points

"Gay" - Because its continued widespread use as an insult, especially among young teenage boys, encourages the idea of homosexuality as something harmful or bad, and plants the seeds of virulently homophobic attitudes and hate crimes. I know that not everyone who says it says it with any hostility towards gay people, but to casually say it without thinking of what you're implying and what sort of horrible attitudes you're feeding is enough for me to think substantially less of you as a person. And everything else aside, it's so boring and lazy. English has countless colourful and creative ways to demean someone if that's what you're trying to do. Only those with no imagination would look to such a dull, bland word. :'D

"Igirisu" - The Japanese word for "Britain". The trouble is that it is also an acceptable Japanese word for just "England". The end result being that when Japanese people are speaking English and translate this word into English in their head, Scottish people like me frequently become "English", and "Scotland" / "Britain" becomes just "England". I'm not the type of Scottish person who hates England or the English, but it's simply a fact that England is not my country of birth, that I've barely even been there, and that I'm not English in any way, shape or form. Usually when people make this mistake, I'll politely inform them that calling a Scottish person English is essentially the same as calling a Japanese person Chinese. They don't tend to make the same mistake again after that. :'D

"Tranny" - I dislike all hate speech, but reserve a special sort of disgust for this word, namely because it's not even recognised as hate speech by most people. It's somehow become acceptable even among many media outlets to use it to refer to transgender people and particularly transgender women. Words like the N word to refer to black people and the F word to refer to gay people are rightfully seen as not fit for publication by major media outlets and are rejected by most people who aren't violently racist / homophobic, which makes the continued use of hate speech against transgender people across the board even more hypocritical. Apparently discrimination against minorities is fine as long as it's against the right minorities? Yuck. Suffice to say my feelings about this word hold true for "shemale", "he/she", "it", and a good number of other words used to refer to transgender people that most of the world apparently think are somehow okay.

"The 'C' Word" - Yes, that one. Swear words usually don't bother me at all (although I'd never use them myself), but my mum hates this word, and instilled in us from a very early age the idea that it was just wrong in every way to use it. I guess that taboo still has some power over me, because I can't even write it, and every time I hear it it makes me cringe.

"Talent" - Not in its traditional sense, but as British slang used to refer to beautiful women. Putting aside the unfortunate implication that the only "talent" that a woman can have is a pretty body, I associate the word strongly with two groups of people: idiotic teenage boys and equally idiotic middle-aged misogynists. And suffice to say I'm not particularly fond of either. Actually, I could probably make a fairly large list of words used to refer to women / women's bodies that I hate. But I don't want to be sitting here writing all day.

Thanks
    EP Points

when being used in the way Iamerror pointed out then i'd have to agree with the word gay. i may've used the word like that way back when i played WoW but a few years ago i was chatting with a friend and long story short, seeing how much it was upsetting him stopped that habit dead in its tracks

i'd have to agree with elin on it as well even though as he (she? ugh, hard to tell sometimes on the internet :/ ) pointed out theres plenty of other words/phrases used in just the same manner. (joking or insulting)

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Eh, a bunch of Swedish words, English not so much. I suppose the way people say "a k a" instead of something like "in other words", sorta bugs me.

Oh, and reversely. Because it can't be used in the same manner as conversely. Or perhaps it can. See? Annoying.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it annoys me, but I've yet to meet anyone who uses the word "banter" and isn't functionally retarded.

Thanks

Gangster.
    Friends and classmates use the word as a synonym for Cool. To me, a gangster in modern day is just some thug. The word irritates me because I basically envision the person saying it claiming to be just some thug. I guess to be fair, back then gangsters would be those ideally recognized as part of the Mafia and organized crime. I don't applaud crime but "these" gangsters nowadays basically ruined my picture thought of what a gangster originally meant or looked like.

Username: SoySauce (or similar) Name: Kenshii

Thanks
    EP Points

Failed

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

Basically, all swear words annoy me (yes, even if I use them when I'm really, really angry), considering that everyone in my hometown thinks that using swear words as a nick name is a good idea.

And also acronyms (since I don't really know much about them, because of my obliviousness).
    HP: 454 / 1816