Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eternal Darkness spiritual successor announced for Wii U and PC

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Eternal Darkness spiritual successor announced for Wii U and PC

And it's called Shadow of the Eternals.

Article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...ed-to-wii-u-pc

Crowdfunding (they apparently need $1,500,000 in 30 days, ouch): http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

When Detective Paul Becker is called to one of the bloodiest gang massacres in Louisiana state history, only two survivors remain from a brutal conflict between two rival cults. As Becker begins his interrogations of the suspects, their combined recollections will uncover the truth about the ‘Eternals’.

Featuring an ensemble cast of heroes and villains, Shadow of the Eternals will span over 2500 years of history throughout Egypt, England, Hungary, and the United States. Players will question the perception of reality as they try to balance the mechanics of combat, magick, and sanity events to progress through the adventure.

Shadow of the Eternals will take players on a memorable journey throughout time; weaving historical fact with disturbing fiction to create an experience unlike any other.
    So I guess maybe I should get around to playing the first one, eh?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Good thing Silicon Knights is not involved. At least I hope Precursor Games have nothing to do with SK..
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 6th-May-2013 at 22:22.

Thanks
    EP Points

looks like I need to rob a bank now to spend the highest amount lol

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Good thing Silicon Knights is not involved. At least I hope Precursor Games have nothing to do with SK..
    Yeah, about that...

http://www.shacknews.com/article/790...n-knights-vets

Why's SK so bad, anyway? Shouldn't it be a good thing that this is being developed by the team of Eternal Darkness? (I'm mostly asking because I don't know anything about them.)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Why's SK so bad, anyway? Shouldn't it be a good thing that this is being developed by the team of Eternal Darkness? (I'm mostly asking because I don't know anything about them.)
    They really haven't done anything of note, other than the original Eternal Darkness, which IMO was only pretty good a decade ago mainly because of the "sanity" gimmick, but you can't bottle lighting twice
    Other than ED, they did the Twin Snakes remake on GC - passable, unless you're a big MGS junkie (then you'll most likely dismiss it as a pretty lame remake), and finally the bomb that is Too Human came from them. It's a pretty terrible game no matter how you slice it. Since then, they haven't done a damn thing and that game came out in 2006 or 7. Oh yeah, Dennis Dyack (head of company) is a total stroke too - he's spent the better part of the last 6 years bitching about the game industry and pointing fingers at everyone else as to why Too Human failed, instead of making a new game and keeping his mouth shut.

Either way, if you haven't played Eternal Darkness by now, I can't really say you're missing too much. The controls are pretty archaic, and it's really only interesting for the "sanity" gimmick I mentioned earlier. The only reason the sanity stuff worked the first time around was because NO ONE was expecting it, and it did some really fun things (until you got used to it and were expecting it). I don't have high hopes for this game, if you can't tell, but I do enjoy a good surprise from time to time

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Yeah, about that...

http://www.shacknews.com/article/790...n-knights-vets

Awesome news

They had success with ED but they seem to live in the past. It's true that they've developed for the newest consoles (PS3/X360) but their games look and play prehistoric.

Thanks
    EP Points

Behind the scenes look at Silicon Knights. I think Denis Dyack is using a kickstarter campaign because no publisher is willing to fund the project due to his bad reputation. Raising 1.5 million for just a pilot episode in 30 days is not realistic. Why do they need that much money in 30 days? How about having the campaign run for a year.

The IGN Shadow of the Eternals trailer that had Countess Bathory looked promising. The graphics were ho hum but the setting and gameplay has potential. Eternal Darkness was decent but the controls and sanity effects ticked me off. I already knew about them before playing and they just became an annoyance, like the wonky camera.
    Last edited by Kool Aid Man; 7th-May-2013 at 18:47.

Thanks
    EP Points

I kept hearing how fucking awesome ED is supposed to be, but I guess it was just a gimmicky trainwreck all along? THE MORE YOU KNOW. That's one less game on my backlog I guess.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Dennis Dyack can suck dick. I'm eternally grateful for Legacy of Kain but yeah that's about all good SK ever did.

Also, the terms for their fund raiser is shady as hell. There's no goal and all money sent in their direction are seen as donations and will NOT be returned even if the project ends up as vaporware.

Thanks

Eternal darkness for the cube is awesome! and metal gear twin snakes was great! fuck the naysayers!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    Dennis Dyack can suck dick. I'm eternally grateful for Legacy of Kain but yeah that's about all good SK ever did.

Also, the terms for their fund raiser is shady as hell. There's no goal and all money sent in their direction are seen as donations and will NOT be returned even if the project ends up as vaporware.
    I forgot all about Legacy of Kain - I didn't realize that was their work. All went downhill from there You're right, it is shady as hell - and given SK's development track record (ED started as an early N64 game, etc) vaporware is a very real thing that could happen. I'll be avoiding this.
    Quote Originally Posted by blair-witch90 View Post
    Eternal darkness for the cube is awesome! and metal gear twin snakes was great! fuck the naysayers!
    Real cute

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Will get for PC.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Will rip for PC.
    Fix'd that for ya

If they don't rip off all the "backers" and file for bankruptcy

This whole company just has a cloud of shit surrounding it, and frankly I don't even see this game coming to fruition. SK owes millions to Epic for jacking their game engine, and someone still owes for that (whether they call themselves SK or some other bunk company), and with Denis Dyack being in any capacity for this project, it's gonna shit the bed before it gets anywhere.

Don't expect analogue camera controls
    If you played Too Human you'll get that joke

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Guess that will should be a would.

Thanks

Eternal Darkness was worth playing for more than the sanity gimmick. It had a great Lovecraft-esque plot, fantastically eerie/atmospheric setting and some of the best scenes from any 'horror' game to date.

I'm not too excited by the premise of a crowd-funded spiritual sequel though. But fingers crossed for something special.