Thread: Ps2 Slim Softmodding Help Please

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Ps2 Slim Softmodding Help Please

I'm asking this as both out of curiosity and for my techless sister. Is it possible to do anything like free mcboot or the psx disc swap for another game's backup on a 90001 2010 model NTSC-U/C ps2 slim or is swap magic the only way to play burnt ps2's on slim model?
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I use ESR/mcboot on my slim PS2 and I know it can be mod chipped and SwapMagic does indeed work on that but I don't have a 90001 model that is the last range of PS2 hardware so I wouldn't like to say if mcboot or swapmagic will or will not work

There was reports that freemcboot does not work with 90001 models but they have taken that info down so I really do not know if it is possible or not best way to find out though is do a full install of freemcboot (the full install is ment to work with all models from the same region) to your memcard via your own PS2 and try that memcard in your sisters PS2

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks i'll give it a shot next time I go to her place and see what happens.
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hi Soratron,

Sorry this is late but the 9000X model made with datecode 8C cannot use Free MCBoot. Sony removed that in that revision but older 9000X series should still work. If the console has BIOS 2.30 it cannot (8C datecode) but if it is 8.20 it can (8A 8B datecode).

Sorry for the outgoing link but http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/fre...modchip-87838/ basically it was a startup call that queried the memory card ports for any .ELF files (which are PS2 executables) on system startup. However a modchip with DEV1 memory card support will still load the .elf files since DEV1 is for memcards and DEV2 is for a Hard Disk Drive.

If the 9000X cannot use Free MCBoot I would see if you or someone you know who is very well versed in soldering can install a modchip as the swap magic discs are said to cause damage to the spindle motor and or the laser assembly if/when the disc is pressed down to swap.

Hope this is helpful,
    HaloSlayer255

P.S. If this was in any way helpful could you hit the "thanks" button?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If it really does not work then using Swap Magic can still boot up Elf files from USB (Not sure if ESR would operate correctly that way, it should do though)

Not a big deal but Swap Magic does not have any bad effect on the systems drive but bad or poorly burned media will, that goes for mod chip users as much as any other method used

Swap Magic itself is not a bad method to use anyway, ESR has it's advantages but if you use the above you might as well just use Swap Magic directly, ESR may fix a few problem games for Swap Magic though same as it does for some mod chips

A mod chip is still the best way though but its not an easy home mod
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-April-2013 at 14:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR