Thread: New Linux Distro For Gaming

Thanks

Default New Linux Distro For Gaming

Angel Linux can be downloaded at:
    http://sf.net/projects/angellinux

This Linux distro has many emulators. It also has VLC player, Icecat web browser, Tixati bittorrent client, DVD styler, AVIdemux, Wine, Screensavers and more.

It can be booted from CD, DVD, USB, etc. so you don't have to install anything.

Emulators for: Nintendo (Famicom), Super Nintendo, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 64, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Color, Game Gear, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis (Mega Drive), 32X, Sega Saturn, Turbo Grafx 16 (PC Engine), Neo Geo, Arcade, Atari, Apple, Amiga, Amstrad, Colecovision, Commodore 64, DOS, MSX, ZX Spectrum, ScummVm, and more..

Thanks
    EP Points

Might want to whip up a quick homepage for your distro with more detailed information, just a thought. There are plenty of free webhosts you could use that would be adequate.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Hi MaslowK thanks for the advice. Let me know if you know of some good free host. I think there's a way to make a site on sourceforge. Ive seen some other people have nice pages but I have to figure out how they do it.

it will be this page angellinux.sourceforge.net

Thanks
    EP Points

After an initial test I'm honestly surprised at how well Mupen64 and PCSX in particular are running, having had issues with them in the past (although there seems to be no way to end PCSX once a game is running short of killing it, strange). I'm also a bit confused as to why there seem to be multiple emulators available for some of the consoles, particularly the sega emulators, where Kega Fusion alone *should* be sufficient for SMS/Genesis/32x/CD emulation. I'm assuming this is for maximum compatibility? I would also think the default openbox environment might be a bit confusing to people new to linux.

As far as webhosts go I would recommend www.000webhost.com, as they give plenty of bandwidth and disk space for a simple information page and don't place ads on your page. You would still be linking to the sourceforge page for the download of course. The only drawback here is it would be giving you a subdomain (i.e., www.angellinux.domain-name.com, where you would be choosing the domain-name part from a list they give you).
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah with PCSX I have to open the task manager and kill it like that. I have another emulator called ePSXe but it seems to require some plugins so I didn't include it. All the emulators from Puppy Arcade came in one package and I installed some extras. Personally I prefer the 'not from PA' emulators where I can configure the controller easily. At first Kega Fusion wasn't working until I installed some extra drivers and stuff but I agree it's the best for all the Sega consoles. There's actually another genesis emulator called Regen in /root/.regen but I forgot the file that adds it to the menu. I think openbox better than the others and think they could be just as confusing to new Linux users. Actually I was gonna make fluxbox the default and I was gonna add E17 but it crashes if I mess around with the settings too much and I didnt like it that much anyway.

As for the webhost I just checked it out and I only see one choice for subdomain (.comlu.com) I might use it but I'll look around at some others. Last night I tried again for an hour or so to figure out the sourceforge thing. I don't get it, you have to upload the html file using some program or something. Oh well I'll just look at some free hosts instead. Thanks again. Peace.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by AngelLinux View Post
    I don't get it, you have to upload the html file using some program or something.
    Well yes, you would also need to either write the page up in html or with some other program like dreamweaver. I have a few years experience with this myself and would be willing to help out with that.

Thanks

thankyou

Thanks

You're welcome phoenixiizero and thanks MaslowK. I know some html and have made a simple webpage at angellinux.3owl.com

sourceforge doesn't have any control panel to upload files for a webpage. this is their instructions:
    sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Project web
    idk what they're talking about

Thanks anyway for offering to help I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    EP Points

sourceforge doesn't have any control panel to upload files for a webpage.
    Unless they have something like ftp access to a root directory, it likely uses a premade design and just lets you fill in the details.

As for the site that actually looks like a fine front page. I'm thinking it could easily be spruced up a little and have a few extra sections added, I plan on doing more in-depth testing soon.

Thanks

yeah I just made it real quick in like an hour. They had all kinds of premade templates on that site but I couldn't make up my mind so decided to just make a simple page. I'm gonna add more stuff when I release Angel Linux 2 hopefully in May. I'd still like to get the site on sourceforge because its a well known and trusted site. When I have some free time I'm gonna check on google to see if I can find out how it's done.

Thanks
    EP Points

This sounds real cool. I have a question: How big is this distro? I want to try it out, but my home base (and the only half decent computer I have access to) is pretty packed, and I don't want to risk booting off of an external.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Chaplain View Post
    How big is this distro? I want to try it out, but my home base (and the only half decent computer I have access to) is pretty packed, and I don't want to risk booting off of an external.
    662MB. I would actually recommend booting off a USB stick (at least 1GB, 2GB+ recommended) using something like unetbootin , this way you keep the system separate from your "home base" and still modifiable.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 16th-October-2013 at 02:40.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

New version 2.10 is now available. Now with pcsx2 ps2 emulator and has a lot more programs than Angel Linux 1 did and is much more stable.